ISO new deer hunting firearms

Legacy

57 minutes ago, Legacy said:

Is that bad a** gun of yours smokeless?

Yea its a smokeless.. that gun is built for sitting in a blind or off the ground and hunting over big open food sources.. its heavy!  Search Jeff Hankins on youtube and u will be amazed at what these guns can do.. the break action guns cant do what the custom bolt action are doin but if i was in the market for a new muzzy thats where id be lookin

Smokeless muzzleloader is the way to go. I bought a savage model 10ML II 20 years ago when they first came out. Shoots as good as a rifle with hardly any kick at all. I shoot 43 grains of powder with a muzzle velocity of 2100 fps. They dont make them anymore last I heard.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fishmaster 196 said:

Smokeless muzzleloader is the way to go. I bought a savage model 10ML II 20 years ago when they first came out. Shoots as good as a rifle with hardly any kick at all. I shoot 43 grains of powder with a muzzle velocity of 2100 fps. They dont make them anymore last I heard.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nope no factory produced smokeless muzzleloaders now.. everything is bein custom built... im pushin 3050fps with 78g of IMR 4198 out of mine

Anyone have any experience with Vortex scopes? I went to the Firing Pin gun shop and Runnings today, and both places spoke very highly of them.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rob i have a Vortex 3.5-10 with a 50 objective on my 300 Browning A-bolt and it has been flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Wait, what?? I've been sitting in the stand all this time waiting for the wrong animal? No wonder I never shoot anything. All I keep seeing are these stupid big bucks, but no elephants...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chromeslayer said:

Yea its a smokeless.. that gun is built for sitting in a blind or off the ground and hunting over big open food sources.. its heavy!  Search Jeff Hankins on youtube and u will be amazed at what these guns can do.. the break action guns cant do what the custom bolt action are doin but if i was in the market for a new muzzy thats where id be lookin

Amazing shot for sure but that is shooting not hunting. 

• Like 2

what distance does it become shooting instead of hunting?
U took what he said the wrong way . No big deal . What he's getting at , talking out loud and using a tripod rest , all the time in the world. Not your average Hunter is going to pull that off.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Nothing mentioned about a rifle...... custom Remington in a caliber of your choice.... 7mm08 will do the trick topped with a quality scope for a long time.... I ditched my shotgun years ago...... take those 1 inch groups and get better with a rifle..... just my info..... quality mzldr topped with a quality scope also.... I prefer Thompson......

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nothing mentioned about a rifle...... custom Remington in a caliber of your choice.... 7mm08 will do the trick topped with a quality scope for a long time.... I ditched my shotgun years ago...... take those 1 inch groups and get better with a rifle..... just my info..... quality mzldr topped with a quality scope also.... I prefer Thompson......

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
He's looking for a new muzzleloader and a new shotgun for the area he hunts. But Yes

1 hour ago, whaler1 said:

what distance does it become shooting instead of hunting?

Good question. When has technology tipped the balance of fair chase into “unfair”.  Are we going to laser beams next lol. There also is the ethics of shooting that distance. The question of “can” we try to kill from that range was answered but the question of “should” we try to shoot from that range needs to be discussed. How are you going to put a follow up shot on a deer 800 yards away? How long would it take the hunter to get in his truck, drive down there and take up the trail? How many hunters watching that video have the discipline and knowledge to make that shot?  

Sorry this is one of those hijack deals. Back to Rob’s gun question 

Edited by Gill-T
  • Like 2

In between deer hunting and ice fishing, unless you chase late season quackers or chrome it's pretty slow this time of year. So I think a good discussion can help to stave off the boredom. And I can't do crap until my finger heals, so...

I define hunting by the effort that you make in pursuit of game. If that means practicing at 800 yards to make a clean kill, and you can do it, that's hunting by me. Conversely, the guy who grabs his gun once a year and shoots a deer out the window isn't hunting, he's harvesting. But doing the same thing on a bait pile that you've rigged with motion sensitive cameras takes effort and commitment. So, it's hunting. You follow my drift? Don't bother, I caught all the fish out of that run lol.

SAVAGE 220 20 GAGE BOLT ACTION. Most accurate gun on the market for shot gun. Fast and flat shooting , tac driver. Scope ..u know spend the $$$
Remington copper solids

He is right savage 220 . I have one and it is amazing. I use accutips

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sure do hope he owns the house up on that hill he was shooting towards.....

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1