ISO new deer hunting firearms

Legacy

Rob if you wanna come see whats involved in a smokeless get ahold of me and we can go to the range... i followed the thread all season it seems to me you hunt alot of spots of open field/food sources.. i would base my gun selection off that.. something that will reach out and touch somethin!..im guessing you hunt a shotgun/muzzy zone since you didnt ask about a rifle.. im still suggesting you look into the Cva Scout converted by Hankins Rifles and use it for shotgun and muzzy seasons.

• Like 1

25 years ago (ish) i bought a Mossberg combo 12 guage with a junk bushnell scope.  Cheap black synthetic stock with a case.  If memory serves me right it cost about $280.  It is a complete tackdriver.   I have never cleaned it, I have never adjusted the scope and its dead nuts.  For $2500 I might just let it go.  (this price is solely for Rob, sorry Scott, I want it to go to a good home)

Hahaha..

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, GAMBLER said:

CVA Accura V2 50 cal with the Nitride finish.  Cant go wrong Rob. 

this is an awesome tack driving ml. easy to remove the breach plug by hand after firing several rounds at the range. my big or rather my older brother bought me one a few yrs back. when my son needed a new gun I bought him one for Christmas 2 yrs ago. I gave it to him early and he got his deer that yr. we went to fl during our ml season last yr. this yr he got his deer opening day. they are fine rifles that shoots straight.

if you can find one of the old Remington 1100 shotguns in decent shape they are hard to beat. the I believe the Remington 1187 is a great gun.

My Knight has a vortex telescope on it I actually took a 2-7 Leopold off. Vortex has better glass than the VXII. Not saying Leopolds newer more higher$$$ ones aren't better now a days. I just bought a Vortex 4-16×30mm tube and illuminated recticals off a fellow on here that shoots mega distances as he's going more power yet. He knows his crap and from what I read and his Intel plus what my knight muzzleloader has a Vortex. I'm not in the know of better glass. Other than Saworski-sp.? I'll own 3 once this one I'm getting for my 22/250 yote rifle. 

• Like 1

I have a vortex on one of my rifles (cant remember the model off the top of my head) and i like it. It very clear easy to adjust and is pretty solid. They are probably the best bang for your buck. The warrenty is second to non. You can literally smash it with a hammer and run it over with your truck and they will send you a new one no questions asked. As far as shotgun i love my beretta a400 but thats more of a bird/trap gun for me. I have my trusty mossberg 500 with rifled barrel and it has never let me down but there are much better options out there if you are in a shotgun zone and that will be your goto firearm for years to come. If you have some cash to spend i would go for an ithica deer slayer.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah I never even heard of Vortex until I went poking around Runnings and Firing pin. Like I said, both places spoke highly of them. Warranty and customer service were the things they stressed.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/crossfire-II-3-9x40-with-v-plex-moa-reticle?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

One questions that I have that seems to be repeating on the Vortec. warranty and service is great. That is telling me, sure we'll fix it, that's great.

On the the other hand I would rather have something that never needed repairing, to even think about warranty issues. I think a scope would be a easy item to last a lifetime.

just my 2cents

I own numerous Vortex optics..   my opinion is that they are VERY good for the money and have served me well...

as for the warranty , keep in mind it is a no questions asked warranty, so you are protected against “operator error”..   in my case i broke the adjustable eye piece on my binos..   I sent them back to vortex and received them back a week later..  they were like new and professionally cleaned...   I got 3 emails over the course of the week, one when they received them, the second when the technician was assigned and a third when they were shipped back..   I was pretty impressed!!

Legacy, I have a savage 220 and live in hamlin..  if you are interested in shooting one before buying let me know and we can figure something out..   as others have said it is a tack driver...

I have had a leupold vari X II  3X9X40 on my Remington .280 since I bought it in 2002. I have never had to adjust the scope since then! I check it from a benchrest every year prior tot he season.  Nuff said on scopes, if you can afford Leupold. If not Bushnell Trophy scopes are damn good for the $. I have a Remington Genesis MZ 50 cal, that is very accurate.

Looks like I will be the only one, but, I have a Thompson Center Encore 50 cal with a Leupold VX-II 4x12 on it.  I shoot the Hornady 250 grain SST bullets with 150 grains of Triple 7 Pyrodex (Triple 7 primer).  I have had this set up for now 15 years with having taken many whitetail and one elk.  Very reliable and accurate gun.  I have not hunted regular season with a shotgun for the time that I have owned this gun but then again, I always sit.

• Like 1