ISO new deer hunting firearms

Legacy

Be careful with the Vortex scopes.  IIRC, about a year ago, they moved most of their manufacturing/assembly from Japan to China (except for their higher end scopes?).  If you're dead set on Vortex, look for a used one made in Japan.  I'm a fan of Leupold, especially if you sight in in once and don't touch it.  If you are going to be a turret turner, get something different.  If you don't know what you want, head to a store and look through as many as you can, outside if they let you under natural light.  Your eyes will tell you what none of us can.  For example, to my eyes, my VX3i was MUCH clearer (and better in low light, 1" tube, 40mm objective, than my Vortex PST with 30mm tube and 50mm objective). As for rifles, I'm a HUGE Tikka guy.  Accurate, simple, action is smooth as a baby's ass and the best factory trigger hands down.  A REALLY good guy to deal with is Doug at Cameraland. www.cameralandny.com

Edited by orangediablo

• 6 months later...

So lets resurrect this post...

Looks like i am in the market for a savage 220. ANyone have a retailer in the rochester area?

Scopes? Im leaning towards leupold?

You won't regret it. All I shoot is Leupold scopes. I don't have a muzzle loader, so I can't speak to that particular model, but I will be interested in hearing your thoughts. I'm leaning toward a CVA Accura V2 in the near future.

I have the 220 with the leupold muzzleloader scope on mine and I love it. The reason for the choice was 1 standardizing on 1 scope/1 brand/1 model and the durability. If 1 ever fails I can move the other over. My muzzleloader is the CVA Optima.

All of my other rifles have an older Zeiss Conquest on them. The same model and size for all... I like to have consistency. 

3 hours ago, Nittanyfisher said:

The only downfall that I can come up with is that I rarely use the 220 anymore since the county I hunt in went to rifle. Now the only hard choice I have is the 7mm08 vs 257 Roberts Ackley Improved 40 deg....

That 257ai has to boogie

17 hours ago, orangediablo said:

That 257ai has to boogie

It does.

Remington 700 action (pre 1980 and fixed for safety issue) with everything else a custom build with a Timney trigger from Robert Hart. I am getting touching holes all the way out to 200 with the Speer Softpoint boat tails 120 Gn. I can get 2900+ from a max load of H4831 with 50 grains, but my most accurate is 44.0 gn of IMR4350, which is pushing 2800-2825 fps. More than enough speed and the farthest any deer has gone was 6 steps. 

I have played around with a bunch of bullets and so far the only ones that I have not tried were the all copper ones. My biggest pain a few years ago was that the bullets that I have been using were basically separating. Then I got my hands on some Speer hot-cores. No more separation, then I used those up and had to go back to the soft points because that was all I had. Then I stumbled into the Hornady Interlocks at either 115 or 117 gn and those were just as accurate as the Hot Cores with a small modification to my powder charge. Now the question will be do they stay together.... 

I have a few boxes of Swift A-frames that I like the performance on, but I am thinking that they are not going to open and deliver the shock that I want, and the Speer Big games are not as accurate as I would like out to 300 -350 yards. I do have shots out that far since I am in a box and hunting apple orchards on a bench from an elevated position so longer shots out to 350 are common. Anything farther than that, I won't take. Not because I won't be accurate, but I want that animal to expire fast. I owe it to the animal and to myself to make the cleanest most accurate shot I possibly can.

I'm in the market for a couple of new guns for deer hunting. I am looking for a new muzzleloader and a new shotgun along with new scopes for both. I would like some input from you guys on...

Shotgun?

Shotgun scope?

Ammo?

Muzzleloader?

Scope?

Ammo?

Lets hear it!!!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Remington 870 cantilever barrel 20 ga for the sake of toting it around. Reasonable price terrific accuracy plenty of punch for deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app