Open garage door?

Came home from work today to find my back garage door open? Obviously freaking out a little I do a quick inventory of my stuff inside (my boat, fishing gear, lawn mower and snowblower). Well everything is there thankfully. Next I check both doors and both handles and deadbolts are locked with no damage or anything unusual about the doors. The garage door is automatic with a keypad in the garage and only remote in my truck. I know it was shut this am when I left as I park in front of it. The boat gets the only garage spot. Only other person with keys to the doors is my father who I called and said he hadn’t left the house all day? Any ideas how the door got opened? Been in this house for two years and never had this happen? Garage is about 100ft from a pretty busy road, could something driving by have triggered the door to open?

• Like 1

Just some more info... the garage is detached from the house and I have not opened the garage door in over a week. It’s an older genie model opener without the photo eye/beam setup. Don’t know how old, as it was installed well before I owned the house. I’m running attempted burglary scenarios in my head and just can’t imagine someone breaking in in the middle of the day on a busy road. And on top of that, taking the time to reset all the door locks but not putting down the overhead door? I’ve sat at the end of my driveway for up  to 3-4 minutes waiting for a break in traffic to get out in the middle of the day. So a quick getaway with the boat and trailer is not likely.

Edited by FishingFool34

Wouldn't be surprised if kids driving by with a remote trying all the garage doors in the area didn't set it off. Probably only a few frequencies for them. IF it was me I would unplug the auto and put a lock in the door track to prevent it from being opened. Then just use the man doors to get in and out of the garage. The burglers job is to know your and your neighbors work schedule and to see what might be sellable. A boat does not usually fit that description , a 4x4/ quad/dirt bike/sit down lawnmower does.

I already unplugged the opener and slid the inside latch so the door can’t be opened. But I like the lock idea better than the inside latch. I did some reading and read that I could have a damaged circuit. We had a big wind storm the other day that knocked out power a couple different times. I think I will call someone to come inspect it just for my own sanity.

I already unplugged the opener and slid the inside latch so the door can’t be opened. But I like the lock idea better than the inside latch. I did some reading and read that I could have a damaged circuit. We had a big wind storm the other day that knocked out power a couple different times. I think I will call someone to come inspect it just for my own sanity.

Call felluca doors

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't know how old it is but some of the older ones would open if a certain frequency was used in a 2 way radio. We had that happen a few times at our station which is on a busy state road until we figured it out. 

• Like 1

I had something similar with a really old garage door opener when I lost power.  When the power came on it caused it open.  I used Precision Door recently and was happy with them.  I have heard that old garage doors are on open frequencies and can be triggered by some odd things.  Hopefully just a one time odd ball thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I installed a new Chamberlain last year. Remote worked great with excellent range. It also did a great job of opening my neighbor’s garage door. I called Chamberlain and they shipped HIM a new opener. He was quite pleased. 

Time me for a new opener, unless your model is capable of a code change.  Look for DIP switches on the unit and inside the clicker. 

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 6:33 PM, brucehookedup said:

Call felluca doors

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

What Bruce said :yes:

Felluca Doors called him...…. I  PM'd  you FishingFool34

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Edited by RUNNIN REBEL

I've hit my garage door closer and walked/driven away before I saw the door close all the way, only to notice later the door was open because there was something it hit at the bottom like a broom handle or even built up snow and the door opened back up because it couldn't quite get to the floor.

Snow or Ice maybe?

Mine will do this once in a while. Usually a leaf.  Check to see if a leaf or some debris is in the line of "vision"of the door sensor. At the bottom,mounted near the rail. There is a transmitter on one rail, and a receiver on the other.  It is used to stop and open the door if something is in the way. Even a small clump of anything will cause this. cobwebs, leaf, dirt bll, etc.  

• 2 years later...