Meat Harvest 2008

Jax

These are some videos I took during the meat harvest of 2008 at the Oak about a month ago. Check out all the gugenheimers with white fishing rods in the first video, they are the walmart salmon snagger special, they come rigged and ready to go. Pulled into the lot at the dam and saw maybe 2 NY license plates out of a full lot of cars. Always good for a good laugh if you are bored during sept-october.

There was some guy down there selling 2 oz sinkers, HUGE hooks, bait(jensen eggs), renting rods etc....off a little wagon. He asked me if I wanted to rent a rod because I just had my camera with me......said " That the fishings be good I allready caught me my limit"

Not that any of this surprises me, but I just do not understand getting excited for this kind of fishing. I witnessed SO many snagged salmon, small fights breaking out, trash left and littered, people walking out with eggs and no fish....people fishing with a rigs that you could use to bottem fish with in 100 ft of water off a party boat fishing a wreck. Im glad to see it thinnin out so we can get into the real tributary season.... :)

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/JDSAGE311/?action=view&current=Pennsatucky1.flv

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/JDSAGE311/?action=view&current=Pennsatucky2.flv

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q131/JDSAGE311/?action=view&current=Pennsatucky4.flv

FOUL HOOK! WE HAVE A FOUL HOOK RIGHT HERE!!!

'excuse me sir, i know your from out of state and just wanted to let you know that it is illegal and not taken very kindly by myself or many of the people not using a size 000 hook down here to keep that fish.'

They should put up a DEC/law enforcement station right in that parking lot. Better yet, zone off that portion with a line and hook size requirement. Although it does keep all the jackarses concentrated in one area, away from the rest of us.

Thanks for sharing your videos J, its sad to see it but puts an image to all the ugly stories we've heard thru the years.

Thanks Jax

are those dopes really that hungry?

To all those pen rearing guys, do you really want to see all your hard work foul hooked in snagsville pennsyltucky?

Why can't those losers just go deer hunting? Oh yeah, a bunch of dopes carrying firearms wouldn't be so good either.

Can you film some fights next time so we can at least see one of those losers getting knocked in the face.At least chromeslayer on sanders and spoonpullers actually hooks his fish in the mouth. He takes great pics too. Your underwater camera work is very cool too.

Hey guys, I have never been involved with the despicable act of snagging salmon. Even back in the days when it was totally legal to do so. Having said that, for whatever reason, someone always has to bring up about perpetrators from " Pennsyltucky" I know that those who posted here have not done it for spite. At least I would hope not. I can assure you that there are many from Pennsylvania including myself, who help to sustain the salmon and trout industry of Lake Ontario, in and of itself. I say that ,being a long term donator to not only the Oak pen site, but to others around the southern shore. So the bottom line is, it doesn't matter where one is from when you are breaking the law. Again, not to offend anyone here. Just trying to bring to light the fact we don't need any more reasons to divide the fishing community. Thanks for letting me vent. To some it may seem small, but to others who take pride in themselves, it hits a nerve at times- Duane- from Pa.

Ditto on your sentiment Duane. I don't appreciate being "branded" because I live In Pa. I engaged In a discussion about this at the gas dock with a charter captain In Mexico this past fall who had the nerve to say he only allows NY clients on his boat and followed that statement up by saying he hates Pennsylvanians :shock: :shock:

What followed has only happened to me a handful of times In my 44 years....I was speechless :D

To all and any that found this post in bad taste--- Dont take it personally

Maniac, Duane, Rod

Guys I apologize if you found this offensive. The term I saved those videos under "Pennsatucky" I happen to hear while I was at the oak that day and thats all that was was behind it........Not to demean anyone.

These videos as I stated above were for all of us that fish by the books, diehards, weekend warriors etc of LOU for entertainment purposes.....

The only people this video was cornering were the people flinging 2 oz dipsy sinkers on 50 pound braid with oversized hooks and impractical bait and calling it "FISHING"

Its a comedy to watch this garbage take place every year.

Rod, thanks for your follow up. Have to say that it is ironic that both you and Eric replied to my post. For when I first mentioned about many from Pa. who help to sustain the fishery of Ontario, I had both of you in mind when I wrote that. Knowing both of you were from Pa as well. For I know the willingness, commitment, time and resources, you both and many others put into the love of this sport. Jax- my post wasn't directed towards you so much. Having read some of your prior posts, I really don't think that is in your make up to intentionally offend. It is directed towards the sentiment in general, and a few comments made by others in their followups. As Rod stated, those of us from Pa. are sometimes labeled. We all realize that it is usually an isolated case. Just had to vent some frustration-Duane

i fish all the major rivers on lake ontario. i ask ppl where they are from and get alot of answers. from some of states that ppl come from to fish the salmon, ny,nj, oh, and canada is where the main core of snaggers come from. yes pa has some of there own snaggers also, but not as bad.

i foul hook alot of fish, when i seen my line move or feel a bump in my drift i set my hook. once i realize the fish is foul hook i break it off asap. but i also have alot good hook ups as well.

but i do think that they dec needs to regulate the hook size weight size and line limit in the rivers .30 lbs test i think is just stupid

just remember snaggers are from every where.

Jax, I feel the same as Duane. I definitely don't think you feel that way. This was more just an opportunity to bring It up because It's apparent a very few do label us from Pa. I enjoy your posts and have enjoyed speaking with you at the Pro Ams. Nothing personal!

I'm pretty sure the arrow Is pointed toward the fall river fishermen, which I am not. But still, that's like labeling someone just because of the part of town they live In. Like Jason said, snaggers know no boundaries and they come from everywhere.....even NY :shock: :o

You couldn't have said it better Jason. When i was down there i met a great group of guys from PA, They weren't intentionally snagging... but every so often you set the hook and you miss the fish that was carrying your fly and end up foul hooking another. Its what you do when you realize it is foul hooked that tells a sportsman from a snagger. Some guys intentionally try to get these fish by snagging, and i think that is what's crazy.

When i see someone snagging and keeping i just ask them if they know its illegal. Every one i have asked that said either said yes or no and released the fish and kept no snagged fish while i was there.

Its frustrating either way.

Eric, yes I did. Allowed them to do the winterizing and then put into storage. Price was very comparable to what I would have paid locally. So it saved me the hassle of towing it home, since the Oak is my primary stomping grounds anyways. This gives me now a little more flexibility to do some early brown trout fishing if I want. I stepped down as the league VP for the Sr. girls softball. I served in that capacity for the last 4 years which cut into my early trout fishing in April. Still staying on as team manager though one last year. Needless to say, hope to get up now and make up for some lost time. You are more than welcome to fish with me anytime, esp. if you don't want to pull your boat up that early in the year- -Duane