Winter adventures of Reel Doc and Chowder

We met up in the pitch dark at T-falls to a howling North wind. Since we are both older, married men with children the following conversation ensued: ‘man it’s honking ‘ ‘yeah let’s make sure we’ve got clearance under the bridge’ . So after taking down the mast we got out of the channel and into a rough breaking swell and headed north. Our wheel man did an exceptional job of warning me of incoming boomers as I swore my way through getting the riggers set after which I collapsed into the 2nd seat safe out of the gale in the little wheel house with a welcome cup of coffee.Eventually got divers out and a flat chute line. Had really wanted to run boards but it was out of the question. Everything took fish. Salmon only hit the flat line with the Renofsky/ Z man stick. Best laker rig was a dipsy pulling a chicken wing DW. Riggers at 40 and 50 with Diehard and Gator took a couple. Seneca special with a Ryan Kopke fly took only 1 laker but it was the biggest. Fished 60 to 300 fow at speeds from 2 to 4+ mph (boat control was pretty minimal). Great day on the water, looking forward to next weekend!

AF0B4A84-877A-4771-9DDE-7C7EFAAC8C8E.jpeg

8831A1AD-A324-4F33-A4B3-12F02E494B93.jpeg

E6C1B8A8-CC93-4D4A-B4B4-EC05E5D71313.jpeg

Edited by chowder
  • Like 1

That is true dedication guys!! My hats off to your determination!!! Your post and timing is the proof is in the pudding:yes: :yes: in the reasoning that I'm so done with I/O's way to much time lost with having to remove the water after each use !!!:shake:

20 minutes ago, Xxx said:

That is true dedication guys!! My hats off to your determination!!! Your post and timing is the proof is in the pudding:yes: :yes: in the reasoning that I'm so done with I/O's way to much time lost with having to remove the water after each use !!!:shake:

I actually love my I/O Islander it’s just to big to haul around on ice covered roads. I’ve spent years getting my little 1st boat to the place it is now it is joy to be out in Oct to May

Andy,

I had a blast!!  The pressure was off as soon as the first fish hit the box as I knew I wouldn't need to justify to my wife going out on a crappy day and getting skunked.

Still don't know how you managed to get a spread out with no tangles.  It's gotta be all about good knees when riding the waves. 😉

Looking forward to a wind free day next weekend.

10 hours ago, chowder said:

I actually love my I/O Islander it’s just to big to haul around on ice covered roads. I’ve spent years getting my little 1st boat to the place it is now it is joy to be out in Oct to May

Yes I agree with ya on the I love my Islander I love my Sea-Ray I/O I'm not fortunate to own 2 boats!! Just jealous not mad LOL

• Like 1

Saw you guys while we were "duck hunting" (the fishing was better than hunting, so mostly fished).  We were banging big browns and lakers from the dock.  We figured you must've been moving rods to be out there in that slop.

8 hours ago, Frisco said:

andy, how deep were you running?

Deep rigger was 50' w/ a spoon, deep diver was 60' w/ a spoon- only Lakers on either one. I couldn't run boards, way too rough.