First Timer Looking for Some Advice

First timer heading up to Pulaski NY next Summer around Labor day. Can anyone give any tips? I troll Erie for Walleye with dipsys and boards often. I do not currently have downriggers but they can be added. Can I get away with running just 6 mag dipsys or will the downriggers be a must have? If riggers are required, electric or will manual do? If elecrtic, do you run them off a dedicated battery or do the not drain the battery to bad?   Baits.... Spoons, flys, stick baits, etc...?? For line I was going to run 30# power pro braid with 400ft before I hit backing (is that enough?). Looking for any advice that is willing to be given. 

My current set up is a 2075 Tyee, 250 for the main and 15hp kicker. Troll master, Ulterra 112 w/ ipilot, cisco tube rod holders,  Lowrance hds's, 

Thanks in advance. 
Eric

First timer heading up to Pulaski NY next Summer around Labor day. Can anyone give any tips? I troll Erie for Walleye with dipsys and boards often. I do not currently have downriggers but they can be added. Can I get away with running just 6 mag dipsys or will the downriggers be a must have? If riggers are required, electric or will manual do? If elecrtic, do you run them off a dedicated battery or do the not drain the battery to bad?   Baits.... Spoons, flys, stick baits, etc...?? For line I was going to run 30# power pro braid with 400ft before I hit backing (is that enough?). Looking for any advice that is willing to be given. 

My current set up is a 2075 Tyee, 250 for the main and 15hp kicker. Troll master, Ulterra 112 w/ ipilot, cisco tube rod holders,  Lowrance hds's, 

Thanks in advance. 
Eric

My opinion....6 mag dipsys would be suicide. Get 2 riggers, labor day fish are likely to be tight to the bottom. Run 2 dipsys and 2 riggers. Perhaps a copper but in truth the crowd you are fishing in will dictate what u can run for long long lines. Labor day crowds tend to be tight. For the riggers, manuals work fine but are just a pain to keep pulling up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

My opinion....6 mag dipsys would be suicide. Get 2 riggers, labor day fish are likely to be tight to the bottom. Run 2 dipsys and 2 riggers. Perhaps a copper but in truth the crowd you are fishing in will dictate what u can run for long long lines. Labor day crowds tend to be tight. For the riggers, manuals work fine but are just a pain to keep pulling up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you! 

I would go with electric downriggers as i find that on the east end you end up fishing 100 plus feet down that time of year to get to the fish.  It also maybe beneficial to take a charter for your first time. It would help shorten the learning curve and may save you some money by showing you what to buy and what not to buy. Or if you are thinking of doing this just as a one time thing it would be a lot cheaper to charter then to buy downriggers and all the lures needed for salmon fishing. 

3 minutes ago, salmonboy41 said:

I would go with electric downriggers as i find that on the east end you end up fishing 100 plus feet down that time of year to get to the fish.  It also maybe beneficial to take a charter for your first time. It would help shorten the learning curve and may save you some money by showing you what to buy and what not to buy. Or if you are thinking of doing this just as a one time thing it would be a lot cheaper to charter then to buy downriggers and all the lures needed for salmon fishing. 

Thank you! I am expecting this to be more than a 1 time deal. 

Think I will go with the Cannon Magnum 10 STX's

Eric

17 hours ago, parisfisherman said:

Thanks in advance. 
Eric

That's a heck of a setup, actually identical to what I will be looking for in the spring. 6 dipseys is crazy, 4 max and personally I don't like running more than 2. Downriggers are pretty essential and electrics are very nice but you can get away with manuals if you don't mind the cranking. I don't run a dedicated battery for my riggers or electronics but I do have an isolator switch and a 2nd battery but have never needed it. For baits that late in season I would focus on FF (flasher/fly), Meat rigs and J-plugs. For line I would run wire (fleas usually aren't bad that late in the season so braid will prolly be ok too) for the dipseys and 30lb mono for riggers. You can also look into weighted steel or copper setups and run them on planer boards if you want a couple more lines out. That time of year you will most likely be fishing the marks so a probe system isn't really needed but it is very useful to have. Goodluck!

8 minutes ago, FishingFool34 said:

That's a heck of a setup, actually identical to what I will be looking for in the spring. 6 dipseys is crazy, 4 max and personally I don't like running more than 2. Downriggers are pretty essential and electrics are very nice but you can get away with manuals if you don't mind the cranking. I don't run a dedicated battery for my riggers or electronics but I do have an isolator switch and a 2nd battery but have never needed it. For baits that late in season I would focus on FF (flasher/fly), Meat rigs and J-plugs. For line I would run wire (fleas usually aren't bad that late in the season so braid will prolly be ok too) for the dipseys and 30lb mono for riggers. You can also look into weighted steel or copper setups and run them on planer boards if you want a couple more lines out. That time of year you will most likely be fishing the marks so a probe system isn't really needed but it is very useful to have. Goodluck!

Thank you for the info!  I would like to keep the 30# braid for the dipsys since that is what ill be running on Erie during the Summer. I am thinking ill run a rigger and 2 dipsys on each side of the boat. I think i will upgrade my aux battery to a 31 and call it good. Can always fire up the big motor to keep things running if the kicker cant keep up. 

2 riggers and 4 dipsys is a great program. You won't regret the rigger purchase either. Once you start yanking kings over the boat you will quickly forget about the Erie eyes and riggers are a necessity for the kings.

If you don't buy riggers and stick with the 6 dipsy spread, I recommend a mag on the insides and standard size on outsides so the mags dive down fast and out of the way. If you haven't done 6, I do not recommend even trying it as green kings can get the lines tangled in a jiffy, not to mention the room for human error. Either way, enjoy your trip and get ready to be wow'd

• Like 1

get electric riggers if at all possible. I fish erie for walleye with 6 lite bite slide divers and 2 electrics. I used manual for lake Michigan for salmon and erie's western basin back when I was younger. but moved to the central basin and got a little older. and after switching to electric i've kicked my b*tt several times for not switching sooner. you don't want to run more than 2 divers for kings or you'll have a mess. you would be good with 2 divers and 2 or 4 riggers. the riggers can be used on erie with 6 divers I do it all the time. some of my biggest walleye comes off the riggers set at 50' to 55' down in 70'+ of water. braid or wire will work on your divers and 30# mono on your riggers.