How to best set up a mid size twin inboard boat with a trolling motor and autopilot

John E Powell

I’m looking for ideas on how best to set up a 24’ twin inboard boat. I’d like to bracket mount a 10-15 hp trolling motor down the centerline with helm and autopilot steering and full remote controls controls - start, shift, throttle, and power tilt. I’m also leaning toward an iTroll for fine throttle control at the helm. I want gps interfaced autopilot steering while underway both on the mains and when running the trolling motor. Im also open to both fixed and hydraulic power lift brackets for ease of use and maintenance for the outboard. I’m more interested in an approach that will perform flawlessly in all scenarios rather than saving a few bucks here or there and sacrificing aspects of functionality. While not an open checkbook scenario, I do expect to commit to a serious investment of funds to get what I want.

I’d like to hear from people who have done something similar or who have experience with autopilot installs and/or upgrading steering systems.

Electronics install will all be new so there’s no need to integrate with older electronics. I’m open to any brand platform of components, but would like to avoid mixing brands that need to talk to each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

John, that sounds like a great project. If you need it, I have a 9.9 Suzuki longshaft EFI with T&T and remote control box (cables) It has around 58 hours on it. I bought it last fall, but it is the wrong engine for my boat. Maybe it is good for your project.

• 2 weeks later...

I am assuming it has a hydraulicly actuated rudder for steering. If it does there is an interesting way to hook up an autopilot that runs both the main steering and the kicker. I had a setup on a 27 single inboard.
I ran a steering cable from the rudder arm around to the steering tube on a T9.9 Yamaha. The kicker was turned by the rudder so any autopilot ( mine was a Raymarine) that turned the rudder arm Cylinder would also turn the kicker. Worked great. The steering cable had a special end to hook a rod end bearing to the rudder. Got it at Salmon Country in Mexico. Was about 200 $ for the cable. If I had to do it over again I would modify a standard cable on the drive end and save 150 bucks.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app