Seneca Lake Legend

Years ago I had the privilege of learning some of Seneca’s top fishing techniques for perch and lake trout from a man named Don DeSio. Some would say he could catch a perch out of a bucket sitting in his living room. Over the years he took a lot of people out on Seneca for an experience that only a few could ever imagine. I considered him a legend and I will surely miss that phone call every derby. Rest In Peace Captain Don. IMG_4101.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One of my cool memories is of ice fishing with Don,his brother Ed, and his dad Marco in front of the Yacht Club at the mouth of the Seneca River back in the early 80's. We had literally thousands of huge perch under us and they wouldn't hit anything we threw at them. These jumbos were packed just like sardines and you couldn't see between them. I got lucky enough to snag one and I immeditately cut it open and checked the contents but I didn't even have to as the thing was gorged on fresh water shrimp and was spitting them up. We all just shook our heads....lesson learned....never forgot it when the perch aren't biting... I ran into Don at Sampson a couple years ago and we had a great chat about the old days and that time on the ice etc.He said he had to give up chartering because of his health issues so I guess this may have been coming for awhile. A real shame as he was a very knowledgeable perch and laker guy, one of the fastest perch cleaners I've ever seen, and spent many years as a barber in waterloo as well. I'll miss his distinct laugh and jovial nature. May God rest his soul.

Edited by Sk8man

Wow... I got to know him about 15 years ago playing cards at my parents house. I think it was during the derby he saw us parking the boat and it was all fishing ever since. He actually taught me how to make loop leaders for perch. “They will feel that hook if you don’t make a loop for your hook.” :)

Booked my first charter with him to learn more about still fishing. Got skunked and went out again and only caught one. But my charter was worth the million answers he gave to my million questions that day. Very knowledgeable and yes I have seen his health slowly deteriorate over the last years.

Going to miss him and his face sitting in Dunkin Donuts flirting with the girls behind the counter. Great guy. RIP perch messiah

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow that’s crazy first I’ve herd.. He is a legend.. great guy growing up at the marina his name was mentioned on the regular. I’ve heard many funny story’s about him.. I bought his Penn Yan last year we would talk almost every week about fishing...He made many memories that will last generations!

RIP Captain Don fish on!

792DC085-D8AB-421C-A320-66287B3B0A1A.jpeg

Edited by Roys Boys