Crows

I used to hunt squirrels a lot with a 22 as a young guy . I had this wooden squirrel call with a rubber end plunger. it got old the rubber end rotted out. I was going to throw it away .I was outside at the trash can. i through away the rubber end of the call. For some reason I started blowing through the call next thing I knew I had crows diving in on me . I ended up keeping the wooden part of the squirrel call in my game bag. My cousin and I would be out grouse hunting that call was always good for a couple crows. 2058959929__1.jpeg.59c969c21bab061868797d4eb8916bfe.jpeg

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...

I need to put this out there.when I was a young young boy my father and I use to hunt crow along the lake front in March and early April back in the 60s and 70s. We had many of days with 100- 300 bird shoots and it was all about when the weather was right (SW winds warm temps) later when they made the season when you could only hunt Friday through Monday half the time I the good weather to hunt was on days you could not hunt. I fought with the DEC and worked with the conservation counsel to get the season back to a seven day a week season for years with no success. Finally I gave up the sport and run coyotes in March now just too many hart breaks watching all the crows fly by untouched just like last Thursday when the weather was perfect for a great hunt and could of shot scase of shells! To this day I still don't get it really! A Season on crows!!!!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Crows and ravens are the biggest clean up crew you could ever wish for. They dispose of all the dead animals at the end of winter. They are also very smart creatures.

The Caracara is Mexico's national bird

image.jpeg.09100144c7e0d19be7bb97604c5caf16.jpeg

You got that right it's all about the 124 day crow season that's manatory with the federal migatory treaty act with Mexico, Canada and USA. The Friday through Monday season thing all came about because of hunters down state hunt rookeries and not migatory birds and there lobby was bigger than the flight bird guys i guess.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Now on our local news the people are bytching about the crows shyting everything up?? The snowflakes are never satisfied, I hope they stay there permanently!!! 

I like Knight and Hale.  It works so good That I will stop my truck in the middle of the road and call to some flying and they come right in.  I never would have thought in a million years that was possible.  I discovered this trying to use it as a locator call for turkeys in the spring.  Even the stupid ravens wouldn't leave me alone.

I went back and read my thread from years back.  There was some good info and some well... entertainment.

Crows are a nuisance (in many ways) just as much as rock doves defecating on farm equipment and hay.  There is an underlying purpose even though it seems to be sporty.

I haven't killed for sport since I was in my single digits.  I killed so many songbirds with my bb gun that I thought my Grandma was going to disown me.  No good reason for it and I wouldn't do it today but I was a natural born killer and I liked it at that age.  After many brushes with death I do not treat life the same way.  Everything I kill has a purpose.  Could be too many roosters in the Hen house or it could be too many varmints hunting my feathery pets.  I like eating fresh fish and harvest specific species but when I catch an invasive, it goes on the bank - because it shouldn't be there.  When I see more coons then YOY turkey on my trail cams, I start hunting coon.  etc.  I also eat deer tags at the end of the year.  I don't require them all to be filled.  Deer herd doesn't need culling.  Take what you need.  I have a distain for porcupines and woodchucks for the damage they cause.  Skunks are ok. 

One last thought:  Crows are smart.  I shot one last year in the yard AND I did it so I could use its feathers for some jigs.  The rest of the bird's family avoids me like the plague now.  they learned that I will shoot them.  The saying goes that there will be three "C"s left at the end of the world.  Coyotes, Crows, and Cockroaches.  They are more adaptable and resistant to change than other critters. 

for the first time ever I saw ravens down this way?? Definitely can tell size and vocals very deep and raspy. The locals were chasing these off??

• 9 months later...

Or on the other and if you want to discourage them from hanging around shoot one and hang it upside from a tree. You won't see any around for a long time:smile:

What do you do with a pile of crows like that I bet the rappers and coyote shooters would like to have a pile of them.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We put them in a nice pile for the coyotes and coons to eat. They had half the pile gone from yesterday!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Or on the other and if you want to discourage them from hanging around shoot one and hang it upside from a tree. You won't see any around for a long time[emoji2]
With the dead 1s we put in the trees and use as decoys they love them !!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You'll notice that I said "hang them upside down. A farmer that lived near me as a kid did it and the crows avoided our area afterward  as some of the neighbors did it as well.