New Riggers

Looking to do more upgrades to my boat this year. I think my biggest flaw on my boat has been my riggers. I only run 3. I currently have Cannon 10a on the sides and a Cannon 10 down the center. I want High Speed riggers but have heard mixed reviews on the new cannons, unless I go to Digi Trolls. My main goal is to have faster riggers that can go deeper. Only want to replace the 2 10a. Just looking for extra input and recommendations.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I went with the digitrolls specifically because of the soft stop coming up and the ability to change the down speed between 1 to 5 (slowest to fastest).  I love them but they admittedly are really expensive.  A lot of people like the scotties. Personally I had 10a's a while back and like the power down. However I don't want to power down at light speed and rip the flasher off of the release.   unfortunately with the cannon's (except for the digitrolls where you can vary speed) I thinkt he up/down speed is ridiculous.  It creates problems.  I only wish my digitrolls would let me vary the up speed on the "auto up" button.  

If they had just upped the speed of the 10a's perhaps 2x that would have been great.  Instead they went nuts IMO.

the new mag 10's are nice but you have to keep a close eye on the wire near the ball. i had to redo the  termination last year a couple times. it makes me nervous with my probe attached to it.

I went with the digitrolls specifically because of the soft stop coming up and the ability to change the down speed between 1 to 5 (slowest to fastest).  I love them but they admittedly are really expensive.  A lot of people like the scotties. Personally I had 10a's a while back and like the power down. However I don't want to power down at light speed and rip the flasher off of the release.   unfortunately with the cannon's (except for the digitrolls where you can vary speed) I thinkt he up/down speed is ridiculous.  It creates problems.  I only wish my digitrolls would let me vary the up speed on the "auto up" button.  

If they had just upped the speed of the 10a's perhaps 2x that would have been great.  Instead they went nuts IMO.
I was in the same situation last year. I found a good deal on some cannon mag 5 st and a pair of the 16# torpedo downrigger weights. I love them. They are almost too fast. But whatever way you decide I would advise a downrigger ball snubber. I found out the hard way. Downrigger ball and probe ended up on the bottom of the lake in 100' of water the 1st time I use them

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I upgraded from Mag 10s to Mag 5 HS last year and love them. The used pair cost me way less than 1 new digitroll, are plenty fast enough and have no problems lifting my 14# torpedo weights. Nice part was I had already upgraded my Mag 10s to the new style power cord and the Mag 5s used the old style mounts so it was literally a plug and play swap.

• 1 month later...

I have had great luck with Magnum Metalz. Super simple and well built. They have a clutch system The is designed to work like an auto stop. They are built to handle 25 pound balls. I ran them with 18 pound and they performed flawlessly. IMG_1084.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United