Advice on selling Dad's lot of fishing lures, vices, reels, hackle the whole gamut. He tied flies but there are a great many hard lures (not sure correct terminology. Wood, metal, plastic, rubber. Suggestions??

I have dozens (hundreds?) of Dad's lures.  After Googling Red Eye Lures / Evil Eye it brought me to this site where it was discussed that one lure alone was valued by you members at $11.00.   Is the only way to sell by putting a specific price on the lot or is it possible to sell in BEST OFFER form?   Obviously if you feel they are of a certain value, there would be good offers.  I don't care to sell each individually, too daunting a prospect...too many.  There are also many bins of hackle (kept in moth balls)  vices, many boxes of labeled by size hooks and weights.   Looking for advice.  I know how to sell on E-bay but thought I might have more action on a site like this.  Thanks for any help :)  Karen in New Orleans

Edited by Karen Dolan
Add photos

I agree with Whaler and maybe as many items listed by name/size if you can. I know it's time consuming but the more info the better and hopefully someone will get a good deal and you not get shorted either, good luck.

He probably has hundreds of things.  Best to group things into lots, by type and possibly by color (so all green lures in one lot).

Selling price will dictate if it sells and how long it will take.  I like to sell things fast to get it over and done with, so I generally look

at how much they cost brand new and cut the price in half (a brand new lure's probably $8 to $9, so if you have 20 in a lot and go with $4 ... $80 for the lot).

Now, after you separate the good stuff into lots ... you'll have a lot of "junk", stuff not worth much, not in the greatest condition, and will be difficult to sell in lots. There's two approaches that work ... distribute them into the lots, to sweeten the deal (without adding to the price ... so you are basically giving that stuff for free to help the lots sell faster), or when you have a person there buying, make side deals ... "Hey for $8 why don't you take all this stuff?" and sell lots of the lower value stuff.  If it's cheap enough, someone will likely spend the extra $5 or $10 to see what he/she gets.

• Like 2

Oh, and not sure you need to sell on ebay. For fresh water fishing stuff, there's a few boards like this one that have all the potential buyers you need.

Take pictures of the lots and then post them along with the price you want.  If you're going to have to ship everything given you are in N.O. than I'd distribute the less valuable stuff into each of the lots. I'd also say the shipping costs are extra, but you don't want shipping to be expensive, so the trick is to make sure the lot value is high enough .... like aim for $10 shipping for $100 lot price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Reelguy said:

If you want to make it easy on yourself you could consider consignment. Captain Bob’s Outdoors in Clarence NY does a great job 716-407-3021

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I agree. Consignment would make things much easier. Captain Bob’s is the best tackle shop in WNY.