WHERE ARE THE PERCH?!

baitballin86

Ok so I have been out twice so far since we just got safe ice in the last two weeks. Cranberry pond both times. The north end the first time with no success groups of other guys struck out two with only less than 5 fish. The second time was on the eastern shore of cranberry with same results. Last year around this time I was crushing perch and walleye on these ponds ! Are perch numbers low? Have they not migrated to spawn in the ponds yet? Any idea what's going on? Many of my fishing partners have had the same luck so far this year just trying to figure this pattern out and any insight would be appreciated (this photo was from last year on Martin Luther king day).727_1516058924135.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They will be in later this winter.  Some years they migrate into the ponds in the fall and some years it is mid to late winter.  I fished the Lake O bays a lot for perch and this fall was dismal until very late.  Every year is different and winters like this, you just have to go somewhere else to find good numbers of perch.  I don't usually put effort into the ponds until Valentines Day. 

They will be in later this winter.  Some years they migrate into the ponds in the fall and some years it is mid to late winter.  I fished the Lake O bays a lot for perch and this fall was dismal until very late.  Every year is different and winters like this, you just have to go somewhere else to find good numbers of perch.  I don't usually put effort into the ponds until Valentines Day. 
Makes sense and as always much appreciated gambler! I will give it another try in a week. I'm looking into hitting up the bay of quinte soon. They pull giant walleye regularly in those waters. You ever fish up there ?

1 hour ago, baitballin86 said:

Makes sense and as always much appreciated gambler! I will give it another try in a week. I'm looking into hitting up the bay of quinte soon. They pull giant walleye regularly in those waters. You ever fish up there ?

Yes.  It is a great fishery for trophy walleye.