autopilot

outback kennels

I have a 21' aluminum boat with extended transom 225 main with 9.9 kicker. Have Garmin Reactor autopilot with Smartpump shadow drive. Works great. Run to waypoints, troll patterns like zig zag 15 degrees every 5 mins or whatever you set, circle turns back to where you had release. Shadow drive when running with autopilot and something in water catches your eye you just turn wheel to avoid, let go of wheel your back on autopilot. No reaching for buttons or reading menu choices just grab the wheel and your in control. Trolls excellent. 

garmin makes a great autopilot for the kicker, throttle control and steering right from a remote.. if I had to upgrade thats what I would get.. I have the Lowrance, its good to keep the boat straight we setting rods that's about it

garmin makes a great autopilot for the kicker, throttle control and steering right from a remote.. if I had to upgrade thats what I would get.. I have the Lowrance, its good to keep the boat straight we setting rods that's about it

the one you're talking about is the tr1 and i have it allready problem is it doesn't keep up in the waves and currents on lk onterio

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

the one you're talking about is the tr1 and i have it allready problem is it doesn't keep up in the waves and currents on lk onterio

Is your kicker tied to the main outboard with the tr1 turning both? If not I wonder if the kicker alone doesn't have enough rudder surface to stay on course in the waves/current.

I use a minn kota terrova with ipilot on smaller lakes for trolling and tried it on Lake O when I first started salmon fishing. Pushed with the main motor, steered with the minn kota. Worked ok on really calm days but wandered a bit when the waves were much over a foot. I added the raymarine to control the main motor and it is my prefered method for fishing on Lake O.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Is your kicker tied to the main outboard with the tr1 turning both? If not I wonder if the kicker alone doesn't have enough rudder surface to stay on course in the waves/current.

I use a minn kota terrova with ipilot on smaller lakes for trolling and tried it on Lake O when I first started salmon fishing. Pushed with the main motor, steered with the minn kota. Worked ok on really calm days but wandered a bit when the waves were much over a foot. I added the raymarine to control the main motor and it is my prefered method for fishing on Lake O.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

your correct the kicker is not enough to keep up and was going to connect the two together however it says in the manual for tr1 that you cannot do that im not so sure the tr1 would have enough ass to turn both

I have the Lowrance Outboard Pilot installed on my 23' Grady White Gulfstream and it works flawlessly for much more than keeping my boat in a straight line. I use the lazy s-turn function almost every time I fish, and the circle back function will put me right back where I started (which has helped me recover lost tackle after a breakoff). Both of these functions can be adjusted in degrees to control the radius of your turns. I can also pick a waypoint on my chart and the AP will take me right to it.

As far as I know the Outboard Pilot can only be controlled by Lowrance or Simrad MFDs though. It was very easy to install myself on my older boat with copper hydraulic lines. I had to buy adapters for mine, but if you have standard hydraulic lines it is even easier to install, and comes with the tees and adapter kit for different seastar hydraulic helms. You do need to check your hydraulic ram capacity to ensure compatability, but mine is installed on twin Yamaha 150 outboards.

My buddy has the same AP system installed on his 22' Hewescraft with the AP installed on the main motor and a connector between it and his kicker. He uses the same functions I do and loves it as much as I do.

Edited by Tyee II

• 2 months later...
I have the Lowrance Outboard Pilot installed on my 23' Grady White Gulfstream and it works flawlessly for much more than keeping my boat in a straight line. I use the lazy s-turn function almost every time I fish, and the circle back function will put me right back where I started (which has helped me recover lost tackle after a breakoff). Both of these functions can be adjusted in degrees to control the radius of your turns. I can also pick a waypoint on my chart and the AP will take me right to it.

As far as I know the Outboard Pilot can only be controlled by Lowrance or Simrad MFDs though. It was very easy to install myself on my older boat with copper hydraulic lines. I had to buy adapters for mine, but if you have standard hydraulic lines it is even easier to install, and comes with the tees and adapter kit for different seastar hydraulic helms. You do need to check your hydraulic ram capacity to ensure compatability, but mine is installed on twin Yamaha 150 outboards.

My buddy has the same AP system installed on his 22' Hewescraft with the AP installed on the main motor and a connector between it and his kicker. He uses the same functions I do and loves it as much as I do.
I put the same lowrance AP on my 22 foot Grady two years ago. Uses an HDS 7 to control it. Works flawlessly as described by tyee ii. Mine drives the hydraulic steer pump on the back of the steering wheel, and I use a steer link arm to connect the kicker to the 175 outboard. My only fear is if the lowrance breaks I guess there is no repair available.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app