DEPTH RAIDER SPEED AND TEMP

Earl28

5 minutes ago, Earl28 said:

I am trying to make an informed purchase.  Which of the system is the best value and the most reliable.  Thank you for sharing your product knowledge. 

I have and run both the Fish Hawk and the Depth Raider on the boat. I love both and there are advantages to both. Depth Raider is a good choice.

3 minutes ago, Earl28 said:

I am trying to make an informed purchase.  Which of the system is the best value and the most reliable.  Thank you for sharing your product knowledge. 

They all work. You have to ask yourself if you want another transducer on the back of your boat (Fish Hawk), or if you want to deal with coated cable (Depth Raider/Moor). I will say customer service at Fish Hawk seems great. The customer service I've gotten from Depth Raider is not great.

13 minutes ago, Earl28 said:

How able some feedback on the Smart Troll

It's a nice unit. The speed probe has been great for me, but I'm still used to/and love my Moor SubTroll. I run them in tandem to get used to the SmartTroll. I primarily use the SmartTroll on my divers. Knowing their depths has really put a few extra fish in the box for us. If you are interested in a SmarfTroll you can use my code (HAJECKIST) to save 20%.

My only concern with people purchasing SmarTroll's is people who's boat's are a wiring nightmare, or have a soft transom. Both of these will affect the performance of the SmartTroll. If you have any specific questions about the unit feel free to ask.

15 minutes ago, Earl28 said:

I am not clear on the type of signal that is used to send the information from the probe the receiver. Also how is the probe and receiver powered.

There is a "brain box" that needs power and is mounted in the back of the boat. The transducer on the transom of your boat plugs into the "brain box." You need to use an Android tablet to display the data from the "brain box" via Bluetooth.

My depth raider has been reliable and trouble free.  Like others have said pros and cons with both depth raider ad fish hawk.  If I was buying a unit today, I would probably go with the fish hawk as I think they have a bigger market share and a good reputation for customer service.  Depth raider decent price/product from a small company.  The smart troll I kind of view as a item that is used as a complement to a speed and temp system rather than a direct competitor.  For someone wanting additional info good tool, but for basic info a rigger mount speed temp unit is the way to go.

1 hour ago, Earl28 said:

The brain box and transducer are powered by the boat. What batteries are used by the probe and how long do they last.

Correct, the probes have internal batteries. You put the probe on a charger when it's not in use. I've never killed one in a day of fishing.

9 hours ago, Yankee Troller said:

It's a nice unit. The speed probe has been great for me, but I'm still used to/and love my Moor SubTroll. I run them in tandem to get used to the SmartTroll. I primarily use the SmartTroll on my divers. Knowing their depths has really put a few extra fish in the box for us. If you are interested in a SmarfTroll you can use my code (HAJECKIST) to save 20%.

My only concern with people purchasing SmarTroll's is people who's boat's are a wiring nightmare, or have a soft transom. Both of these will affect the performance of the SmartTroll. If you have any specific questions about the unit feel free to ask.

I've heard smart troll has great customer service as well. The owner actually travelled to Kenosha Wisconsin to help an angler I talk to on a local fishing website dial his transducer in on his Alumaweld boat. 

I've been wanting to install one on my Grady but have been hoping they would have another sale like they had a couple years ago. Would I be able to use that savings code as well?

As for the Earl's questions, I prefer the cable signal systems over the transducer systems because of the fact that you get quicker readings. I used to have a subtroll, which I loved until my probe broke off. I switched to a Cannon Speed n Temp which had to be altered to get better readings and they stopped making years ago. I have fished with the Depth Raider many times and it's a great system that I will probably buy when my Cannon dies. I plan on buying a Smart Troll to use along with my cable system so I can have the best of both worlds like Yankee Troller does.

12 hours ago, Tyee II said:

I've heard smart troll has great customer service as well. The owner actually travelled to Kenosha Wisconsin to help an angler I talk to on a local fishing website dial his transducer in on his Alumaweld boat. 

I've been wanting to install one on my Grady but have been hoping they would have another sale like they had a couple years ago. Would I be able to use that savings code as well?

As for the Earl's questions, I prefer the cable signal systems over the transducer systems because of the fact that you get quicker readings. I used to have a subtroll, which I loved until my probe broke off. I switched to a Cannon Speed n Temp which had to be altered to get better readings and they stopped making years ago. I have fished with the Depth Raider many times and it's a great system that I will probably buy when my Cannon dies. I plan on buying a Smart Troll to use along with my cable system so I can have the best of both worlds like Yankee Troller does.

Anyone can use the code.