Wanted Advice / Opinion Cisco versus Big Jon Planer reels manual.

Im in the same boat right now.  Interested to see other's recommendations.  I think you have to look at how often you will be using the planers and how much you want to spend. The ciscos are more expensive but a better product.  they are also upgradeable to electric pretty easily. I am not sure about the big jons.  I a also considering the great lakes planers brand as well.   

My experience with Big Jon reels on my manual planer mast is the plastic reels are prone to crack and break when under pressure. You have to turn into the boards and relive all the pressure before starting to crank the handle. They are cheaper but you get what you pay for. If you can afford the ciscoes you wont look back.

Edited by wet the net

I purchased the aluminum traxstech for my boat last year and they are mint to use.  Not cheap but pay for the equipment once and you don't have to worry about the issues listed above down the road which ends up costing you just as much in the long run. IMO.

Since it’s good to hear the good and bad, I’ll share some bad. Cisco, like many things in life, are not bulletproof. A set of Amish boards burnt up the motors on a friend’s boat in couple years of weekend fishing. You can’t use them like a rigger and just haul in a set of the really big boards at trolling speed, they will fail.

Having said that, I still intend on buying a set for my next boat because I think it’s a great product at a decent price. If you’re going to use boards that pull hard, you should put the boat in neutral or turn towards each board and bring them in one at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

5 hours ago, rookie fisherman said:

Call and ask to Speak to Dave. They were running some discounts for the Niagara show, I am sure he would probably extend those to you. 

Are you talking diet to Cisco. Do you have their contact info.? Thanks

5 hours ago, John E Powell said:

Since it’s good to hear the good and bad, I’ll share some bad. Cisco, like many things in life, are not bulletproof. A set of Amish boards burnt up the motors on a friend’s boat in couple years of weekend fishing. You can’t use them like a rigger and just haul in a set of the really big boards at trolling speed, they will fail.

Having said that, I still intend on buying a set for my next boat because I think it’s a great product at a decent price. If you’re going to use boards that pull hard, you should put the boat in neutral or turn towards each board and bring them in one at a time.

According to there website they are using new motors that have twice the torque  compared to there previous ones. 

15 minutes ago, Trorun said:

Are you talking diet to Cisco. Do you have their contact info.? Thanks

[email protected] o216-881-4559 Talk to Dave Logan

Dave is in charge of sales & marketing. Very nice guy ands knows his product well.

His father is the founder of the company.

5 hours ago, John E Powell said:

They have recently upgraded the motors. I have the newer motors and they pull the Amish boards without issue.

Hopefully no issues long term. 

Yes, friends boat is running new motors, but as per Cisco owner you’re still not supposed to drag in the really big boards, like the Amish boards, while trolling.

Boat in neutral or turn into each board one at a time to take the pressure off.

They have recently upgraded the motors. I have the newer motors and they pull the Amish boards without issue.
Hopefully no issues long term. 

As per Cisco owner, even with new motors do not bring in the really big boards like the Amish while trolling. The boat should be in neutral or turn towards each board and bring them in one at a time.

If you drag in the big boards while trolling you will eventually burn up the new more capable motors, it will likely take longer to happen though.

2 minutes ago, John E Powell said:

As per Cisco owner, even with new motors do not bring in the really big boards like the Amish while trolling. The boat should be in neutral or turn towards each board and bring them in one at a time.

If you drag in the big boards while trolling you will eventually burn up the new more capable motors, it will likely take longer to happen though.

Good advice.  We do slow the boat when bringing them in and turn towards the board we are retrieving. Don't usually put it in neutral as typically my riggers are the last lines to get pulled in. 

• 5 weeks later...