Advice on first “real” lake O boat (Penn Yan 212)

Jto97

Hey guys!

My name is Josh and I am new to fishing Lake Ontario. I have been there many times but always on a friends boat. Last year I brought my 16 foot deep v out and caught a few salmon. It was a blast but extremely scary in any chop. 

Fast forward to this year and I’m looking for a bigger boat. As of now I am in the process of looking at a 1993 Penn Yan 212 tournament. It includes 4 dr’s, planer mast and boards, 2 finders, and a fish hawk x4. The transom and stringers were just replaced. Anyone know much about these penn yan’s? Just trying to figure out if it’s a good beginner boat!

Thanks!

(Pic of my first salmon on my own boat last June)

423A27FB-F39D-4EB5-A003-8AF6754817E6.jpeg

My buddy has one in beautiful condition that I have fished on numerous times and they are real nice boats when properly taken care of. Cut through the water real nice and very seaworthy on Lake O

Sounds like the biggest problem with Penn Yans has been taken care of with replacement of transom and stringers. Make sure there is a good barrier coat on the bottom and reseal all the screws at or below waterline for piece of mind. 

Have a leak down test performed on the engine, not just a compression test as part of the mechanical assessment.

Get a current survey done.

Make an rescindable offer pending positive outcome on mechanical assessment, survey, and sea trial.

Great choice for a first real Lake O capable boat without spending a lot of cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My dad ran an 89 212 for close to 25 years before we sold it a few years ago, it’s a true fish catching machine!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My first lo boat was a used 212 tournament I bought in 2001.  Great boat. Fast, seaworthy and large enough to take a couple friends out and not be uncomfortable.  Having a used boat has its issues but pay to get the engine looked at by a trusted mechanic and don’t miss service. Should be fine.

I echo all of the above.  My first LakeO boat was a 212 and served me well for a number of years.  A good follow up survey of the repairs that have already been done,  a floor and deck check and the above prescribed engine checks and you should be good to go. Good luck. 

If interested in looking at more than 1 Penn Yann, there is a 24' 1990  contender, with trailer, hardtop, set up w/all the fishing equipment for LO  located in Fairhaven at Bayside marina, listed at  $ 9999, I saw it on Craigslist this morning 

Some of it relates to how familiar someone is with solo fishing, and knowing their own boat and how it handles) very well.....and prevailing wind can be a factor as well. I have seen guys launch 25 ft. boats solo in good or "protected" situations. Does that mean everyone should do it? No. Having your launching and docking sequence or  system down cold is important no matter what sized boat you have.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Some of it relates to how familiar someone is with solo fishing, and knowing their own boat and how it handles) very well.....and prevailing wind can be a factor as well. I have seen guys launch 25 ft. boats solo in good or "protected" situations. Does that mean everyone should do it? No. Having your launching and docking sequence or  system down cold is important no matter what sized boat you have.

Thank you Sk8man. I was going to say the same things, and I would add that when fishing solo you should wear your PFD and your tether. I have an auto tether installed for those nice days when I fish solo.

Back to topic...Penn Yan boats are great bigwater boats. As stated previously, many of the potential issues of an older boat have been addressed already with the boat you are considering. As long as they were addressed properly, you should be very happy should you decide to purchase it.

To be clear, your 16 foot aluminum was a “real” Lake Ontario boat.  Don’t diminish what you accomplished in that boat.  You’re simply upgrading.  We all should be proud of any boat we have up there.

• Like 3

21 ft a great boat for LO trolling . 

I have launched / loaded my 21   many times alone . Just have to be organized . 

But it is a pain to troll alone without remote steering . But I absolutely love trolling for staggers out of my 16 ft side console aluminum . 

You will love the Penn yan . 

But bigger boats cost way more to maintain . And gas , I can troll all morning on 2 gallons in my 16  . That much doesn't get me out to the fishing grounds in the big boat . 

B.O.A.T. Bust out another thousand . 

Any boat that you purchase will be vastly improved by the addition of an autopilot. It was the best investment that we've made, bar none, in our fifteen years of owning a Lake Ontario fishing boat. 

Any boat that you purchase will be vastly improved by the addition of an autopilot. It was the best investment that we've made, bar none, in our fifteen years of owning a Lake Ontario fishing boat. 

Necessity on any boat I own for the rest of my life. I don’t know how any fisherman gets by without it!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app