Sammy pac spoons

Unless something changed in the past month the Sutton Spoon company is still active in Naples.  You can contact them via their Facebook page.

The finish comes off the spoons I bought from them in less than a couple hours

Spoon in pic is after 1 1/2hrs of trolling and 1 small salmon

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app4d8c4438204603ca96cdb4d12b7b3770.jpg

Also possible that exposure to the cold water affected the lacquer coating on the spoon and the silver finish itself is perhaps OK? Worth a check. I know they have also had historic problems with the silver plating  finish as well. C3M is correct I always wipe mine down after retrrieval.

Edited by Sk8man

Silver plating probably put on too thin over the brass blank then....the most important thing about the sppon is the action though and they will catch fish even when the finish is messed up. Shouldn't have to be a consideration though given the cost of spoons. They need to get their act together. Very small operation but a very old one.

Edited by Sk8man

I wanted to buy some 5's a few years back as they were the closest to the old Miller I got from my Grandfather.  At that time she told me they had the spoons, but only in brass (gold) as they had lost their plater, and had not found another.  They may have a new plater who hasn't got it down as well as the old one.  Plating is getting to be problematic as the degreasers and the plating solutions are very expensive to dispose of.  The  brass ones worked great up in the 'daks, same size as the YOY smelt in early August, we went through my trial purchase in the first couple of days.   I'm looking at finishing some of my old 44's with holographic sheets, but the additional weight of the adhesive and the sheet and a lacquer  finish might ruin the action.

This was brand new from Sutton. The finish was coming off in the boat not after storage. And all my spoons are kept in a spoon box to hang. My old suttons have never failed me, just the new junk

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I bought some this spring and kept them in my heated fishing room,still in tissue and the bag they came in and when I opened them the plating was coming off and discolored!!!Awesome product!!! Caught hundreds of fish on them!!! But the guy who’s plating them is doing a horrible job!!! Nothing like the old ones I have in my tackle box from 70s and 80s

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I bought some this spring and kept them in my heated fishing room,still in tissue and the bag they came in and when I opened them the plating was coming off and discolored!!!Awesome product!!! Caught hundreds of fish on them!!! But the guy who’s plating them is doing a horrible job!!! Nothing like the old ones I have in my tackle box from 70s and 80s

I couldn’t agree more! Very disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Well, I ordered 4 to check them out. Almost exactly the same as a sutton 44. Thickness and weight are identical, a very slight difference in the nose but barely noticeable. The hooks are way to large but that's easy to fix. I hope they swim as good but I'm sure with a little tweaking they will perform well.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bladerunner has been around for a long time makes quality products and used to make copper jerking spoons that were replicas of the Pfleuger #4 which worked about as well as the original.

I believe they are nickel plated rather than silver plated so in terms of durability they are more resilient but actual silver is the ultimate in reflectivity under water in terms of being seen well from a distance so as in many things there is a compromise here. With that said I have always said that it is the action that is primary in these spoons and the Bladerunners are virtually the same as the Suttons in that regard (in my opinion). Durability is important and as with the old MIller spoons that were similar to the some of the Suttons durability of finish means that the spoons may have a longer life span (if you are not into taping or re-painting) :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Bladerunner has been around for a long time makes quality products and used to make copper jerking spoons that were replicas of the Pfleuger #4 which worked about as well as the original.
I believe they are nickel plated rather than silver plated so in terms of durability they are more resilient but actual silver is the ultimate in reflectivity under water in terms of being seen well from a distance so as in many things there is a compromise here. With that said I have always said that it is the action that is primary in these spoons and the Bladerunners are virtually the same as the Suttons in that regard (in my opinion). Durability is important and as with the old MIller spoons that were similar to the some of the Suttons durability of finish means that the spoons may have a longer life span (if you are not into taping or re-painting) :lol:

It’s hard to beat a old Sutton or Miller spoon but I’ve got discouraged with Sutton’s finish product. I’ve used blade runners and Sammy’s and caught fish. Another option to try is The Great Lakes Lure company. I’ve done well with Jason lures. He’s always at the Watkins Glen show give him a try. He’s a great guy and great fisherman. Sometimes I believe the 44 are overrated give the 35s a try. A old timer I use to fish with always used them on Canandaigua and I remembered that and gave it a try and haven’t looked back

Good advice and I've field tested many of Jason's spoons as well as fished with him as he and Theresa are valued friends. I second your recommendation about the Great Lakes spoons as they are very high quality, very nicely designed, speed tolerant and have a long track record of productivity on the Finger Lakes, and I've had good success with them on Lake O as well. For the folks that still pull wire (i.e. jerk copper) the Great Lakes #4 spoons are the closest I've seen to the original Pfleuger #4 spoons in both appearance and function. Thanks for mentioning them and jogging my memory letsfish2day. I would highly recommend the spoons as well as Revolution spoons - another high quality product made by another LOU guy.

Edited by Sk8man

Flash (real silver plating), "tune ability", and the ability to get great action out of a spoon at super-slow laker speeds, are the reason I keep using them. The plating issue is real. Hope they work on fixing the issue. Have tried Bladerunner/Sammy Pac as a substitute during Sutton's prior gap in availability, and they are close, but for the same price, which they are, no cigar, in my humble opinion.

Consider R&R tackle’s superlite spoons. Dave can hook you up with small versions up to mags. He also has a Kodak Wobbler version with a heavy bend that kicks at any speed. Send an email thru his website at mytacklebox.com and Dave can hook you up. His website does not show half of what he offers. 

Last I knew he was just on Facebook. I know he was building a new building for his operation and I don't know whether he is in it yet. Here is some contact info though:

Great Lakes Lure Company (Jason Oakes)
1777 Grand Central Ave
Elmira, New York 14903

(607) 426-5094

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...