Sodus bay perch limit 1/29! Father and son

What a great time today of some world class perch fishing! This was my second time out on sodus bay ice and what a success. At 6am Crossing a mile of uncharted ice to get to the spot I have never been . Drilled two holes set up shop and from 7am to 2pm it was NON STOP! Me and my dad had managed 50 keeper perch in about 3 hours. After having a great first 50 we thought it might be possible to limit out since it wasn't slowing down we went for it! catching 50 more by 2pm. All fish were caught on two of the same lures just different colors. No need to change lures and didnt even have time to eat the fishing snacks. Another one for the book for me and my dad! Making great memories that will last a lifetime.

What a great time today of some world class perch fishing! This was my second time out on sodus bay ice and what a success. At 6am Crossing a mile of uncharted ice to get to the spot I have never been . Drilled two holes set up shop (38 fow) and from 7am to 2pm it was NON STOP! Me and my dad had managed 50 keeper perch in about 3 hours. After having a great first 50 we thought it might be possible to limit out since it wasn't slowing down we went for it! catching 50 more by 2pm. All fish were caught on two of the same lures just different colors. No need to change lures and didnt even have time to eat the fishing snacks. Another one for the book for me and my dad! Making great memories that will last a life time!

(Would share pictures but doesn't support the file type I'm working on it)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice job! Heard a lot of guys are killing it out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I agree that more susceptible and/or limited fisheries shouldn't be commented on specifically.  But it's no secret that Sodus is on fire and has been for the better part of two years. Parking is a zoo and the slobs may cause us to lose some access points, but the fishing is great for small-medium perch. And Seneca has big perch, but don't tell anyone :rofl:.

• Like 1

Perhaps the most important aspect is that you were able to spend some great time with your dad and have a great shared memory of that very successful fishing experience:smile:

Although I don't necessarily agree with the specific way rolmops commented in this particular post both he and Gator have a good point.

The Internet has some real positive value, but it also has some real liabilities with respect to fishing in particular. One only needs to look at the Lake O tribs and the way some unscrupulous people have come from far and wide to rape the fishery for the profits made from selling eggs (for caviar). Perch fishing is quite a bit different from trolling for trout and salmon in the open lake where the fish roam far and wide; mainly because perch  are a "schooling" species. Yes they can be found in large schools, and despite the fact that some fishermen think that they can never be fished out because of their prolific breeding - many things can and do drastically affect their numbers and sustainability in a fishery. The fact that they concentrate in numbers and largely according to size and their s*e*x* (word not allowed:lol:) at times in the season (without any regulatory protections), that they have a very "generous" individual harvest limit (50) without regard to size, that their eggs are heavily preyed upon by alewives, panfish, and now the Round Goby, it takes them a relatively long time to get up to the sizes desired, and the fact that people are allowed to SELL them makes them very vulnerable as a species. A place like Sodus Bay where there is a direct connection to Lake O suggesting that they can "re-populate" does not change these facts because the wiping out of schools of them changes the overall distribution which may take many years to re-populate and may make the lower numbers of them more susceptible to predation by the larger predators (e..g. Pike And Pickerel and others) and may take many years to accomplish if at all.

The issues are complicated and various. Fishing technology has changed greatly over the years and at a very fast rate recently. The advent of GPS, sophisticated fish finders now having "live" viewing capability, HD underwater cameras,etc. has completely changed the face of fishing and the efficiency and effectiveness in which the fishing is done.

When you put all this together with the fact that perch usually can be found within 50 yds or much less of where they were the day before, and guys selling them and/or fishing in  tournaments are using cameras, GPS coordinates, and sophisticated fish finders to select out the largest specimens and schools of them it doesn't take long to see the results. End of rant....guess something hit a sensitive "gland" :lol:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 3

Do you feel that having the wings on either side of the lure made a difference? I can see how they'd be a great attractant when the bite is hot; I wonder if they'd be counterproductive on a slow day.