The Kid out fished me....again!

Fishtails

Took my 9yr old son Justin out today with Dieselhp for our last trip of the season to fish the Ocean at Sandy Hook NJ hoping to wrestle In some big stripe bass. The weather was was wet today and the wind was out of the south (not a good fishing wind), but the seas were doable so we headed out for a day of trolling on the Incoming tide. We left the dock at 11am and set up In 50 fow with a 4 rod spread (I even got a J-plug out there today). It wasn't to long and FISH ON. The wire rod fired with the 9er's chartreuse umbrella rig. Justin landed a 24" Striper and we quickly got the skunk out of the boat.

fishingsandyhook016_edited.jpg

It was released and we set back up. Trolled for maybe 15-20 min. and the same wire reel starts singing again....FISH ON! Diesel got the rod out of the holder and I got Justin's fighting belt on. We handed the rod over and Rick said It was a good fish. Justin fought It for awhile but was loosing ground so we decided to pull all the rods and take the boat out of gear so he had a better chance to land the fish. As always, Justin's determination was strong and he battled the fish all the way to the boat without any assistance and we finally netted our best striper of this short fall season. Justin was grinning ear to ear, especially when we told him that his was bigger than any I had caught this fall. He was so proud!

We hooked up two more times, with Rick and myself getting our turns at bat, but we couldn't top the kid! Today was his day!! :D All the fish ended up hitting the same rod with the chartreuse 9er umbrella rig. Funny how some days they only want one thing. Talk on the dock was that It was a tough day fishing.....I know we didn't see another fish netted around us the entire time we were out, so we were lucky today!

Justin and Diesel with his 36" 16 lb Striper

FISHINGSANDYHOOK024_edited.jpg

Me and Justin back at the dock In front of the boat with his fish.

FISHINGSANDYHOOK030.jpg

FISHINGSANDYHOOK029.jpg

Pulling the boat next week, but it was awesome to be able to extend the season after the Salmon were done. Time to start thinking the bar!!

Thanks Duane and Ray. Maybe the best part of the day for us was when everyone at the dock came over to see Justin’s fish and while we were walking back to the truck he looked up at me and said “ Am I famous dad ?â€

You didn't miss any hot and heavy action yesterday Ray, but I heard It was very good earlier In the week before the noreaster. Still mostly short fish yet. I was hoping the big ones would show before I had to pull the boat, but It's just like the salmon season was for most of us. I'm so happy we were able to get that one good one for the boy!

Btw Ray, I don't think I taught Rick much except how to get Umbrella rigs caught up In lobster traps. We lost two yesterday :o I tried to get some Lake O equipment out there but I get funny looks....especially when I put the otter boat out. Nobody uses them there. I did deploy one downrigger yesterday for the first time with a chrome J-plug but notta hit. My day will come ;)