Odd idea - autopilots

bfarrow

I’ve been looking at autopilot ideas for my 2452 Bayliner Cierra hardtop. I use a Honda 9.9 kicker and fish I Bay and the Lake.

I’ve been thinking that for trolling purposes I should get a Garmin TR1 Gold or something to the main engine and connect the kicker. I need to be able to pull the kicker out of the water when traveling so the connection idea has been less appealing.

In my research though I see a lot of people have started to use an electric bow mounted trolling motor to essentially “steer” the boat and the kicker to push the boat. With the big saltwater kickers pushing 100+ thrust and 6 foot shafts, this seems plausible. The appeal of an electric kicker that could just hold my position in the bay too, versus trying to always throw the anchor, is also appealing. I wouldn’t really use it to move locations- just hold a spot.

I’ve never seen a bow trolling motor on a cabin style boat like mine though. Does this seem plausible or a silly idea? I have little experience with bow mounted trolling motors. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

26 minutes ago, bfarrow said:

I’ve been looking at autopilot ideas for my 2452 Bayliner Cierra hardtop. I use a Honda 9.9 kicker and fish I Bay and the Lake.
I’ve been thinking that for trolling purposes I should get a Garmin TR1 Gold or something to the main engine and connect the kicker. I need to be able to pull the kicker out of the water when traveling so the connection idea has been less appealing.
In my research though I see a lot of people have started to use an electric bow mounted trolling motor to essentially “steer” the boat and the kicker to push the boat. With the big saltwater kickers pushing 100+ thrust and 6 foot shafts, this seems plausible. The appeal of an electric kicker that could just hold my position in the bay too, versus trying to always throw the anchor, is also appealing. I wouldn’t really use it to move locations- just hold a spot.
I’ve never seen a bow trolling motor on a cabin style boat like mine though. Does this seem plausible or a silly idea? I have little experience with bow mounted trolling motors. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Odds are your bow will be too high off the water.  I say this as a guy who runs a 72" shaft trolling motor for autopilot help (when its calm enough).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Fat Trout

As mentioned above, the two things you'll be up against are 1) height from the bow to the waterline, and also 2) navigating around (through) your bow rail.  Here are a couple interesting solutions to those issues:

• 4 weeks later...