Good Day Fishing Sat. 11-8

Did you really have to keep ALL of those browns? Are you in need of food THAT bad?

If you are Im sure we can get some money together here from all the CATCH AND RELEASE trib fisherman on LOU to help you fill your fridge with something else than our browns.

Where were you casting?

okaaaaaayyy didn't think i would come under fire for keeping male fish that were within my limit. For your information i caught and released over 20 fish and only kept the ones that were injured or were males within my limit. If you read my other posts you will see that i regularly catch and release. I guess i got the wrong idea about posting here. Are you against charter fishing, or tourneys? Heaven forbid fish get killed and eaten in those situations.

We kept 6 fish between two guys....

Also, my family and i do eat the fish i keep. If i do not eat them within 4 months frozen i donate the fish to the soup kitchen in w. main in rochester. I am very conscious about the population in the streams i fish. This really puts me off to you 'holier than thou' people and i guess now we know who a few of them are.

If you are going to be a prick don't reply to my posts any more, simply PM me.

I was casting off shore on private property at a family members house.

Thank you

Matt

Hey you are entitled to what the regulations tell ya. I dont see all these hunters not filling their tags on purpose. If you enjoy them and you are within the law, have at it bud. You think thats bad, look at this mess http://www.fish-hawk.net/hawktalk/viewtopic.php?t=31886

I think you people are wrongly accusing carpedium, and like he said if you are going to argue on his posts, then just dont say anyting. HE KEPT 6 FISH, that is it, unless there are only a couple hundred browns in lake ontario i think the population of browns are going to be fine. What about some of the guides who go into the salmon rivers and oswego rivers who keep everything they catch? Catch and release is right, but what would happen if everyone practiced catch and release. The bait in lake ontario would be gone because of the high #'s of fish that need it and the salmon and trout populations would start to decline because of a lack of food, eventually leading to the point where there would very few fish to catch. What he is doing is FINE, keep 5 or 6 browns when you go out every once and a while, its not hurting anything. If you're going to complain about what he does, than this site isnt for you at all. GOOD JOB CARPEDIUM, and keep up the good fishing and the posts, atleast you know that i support you. :D So next time you try to accuse someone of wrongdoing, think before you say anything, it would help your cause, and not make you look like idiots

You self rightous C & R nazis really need to back the heck off. If you want to release everything you catch, knock yourself out, but you have NO FREAKING RIGHT feeding someone else a ration of $hit for keeping their legal limit of legally caught fish. Get over yourselves.

Tim

If you have a use for those fish and are'nt breaking any laws, keep as many as you can use...

I've thought as well that you do kill a bunch of fish but it's your choice...I used to kill a ton of fish for other people and myself, but I am a fishermen that wants as many fish around as possible so I stopped...

I've seen many catch and release advocates very poorly take care of there fish once they land them and they probably beat and injure to death as many fish as you have been keeping and eating...Anger's me more to see people mis-handling fish than keeping them as the guy playing catch and release might damage a dozen or more fish thinking they survived while the guy who wants a few to eat might take a few and get them home quick to prepare them...

Personally i'm lucky to touch a fish when I go because I get them to the water line reach down and pop the hook out with forceps and get splashed in the face by the fish I just let go...Never out of the water, never touched, never dragged onto land and that's a guaranteed healthy release...

Keep doing what you want within the regs and eff the people that are bashing you...

Matt,

Don't listen to those guys who are giving you grief for doing something LEGAL. I've fished with you and I know you are a man of ethics. I love your posts and my only problem with you is that I don't get out to fish as often as you and I'm jealous :mrgreen:

keep up the good work, I hope to get up there and take a lesson from you soon!

Thanks everyone. Its frustrating because i have posted and am very interested and plan to get involved in volunteering in the pen rearing projects, being an observer for the tourneys, etc. I am in the process of becoming an associate member in GCBA just to get involved in the fishery. Pen rearing directly helps charter captains like jax, who take people out who in total keep many more browns than the fish i have kept this season.

Same here. Nice catch bro. C&R is a practice, not a law. 98% of my fish are released, but damn do I love to eat a few of them. Let us know how you prepared those fall browns.

Thanks for posting...on a post... called fishing reports... perhaps a new post needs to be created named releasing reports as to give a home for anyone who doesn't want to hear about any fish out of water :lol:

Ditto to Tim on his take :!:

Matt, I to practice catch and release 99.9% of the time but it's not breaking the law to keep them and if you choose to eat them that's you prerogative. Just don't let me hear you whine if you develop a third ear in the middle of your forehead :shock: :lol:

I also agree with the your take about the charter guys and tourny fishing!

"I guess i got the wrong idea about posting here. Are you against charter fishing, or tourneys?"

The tournaments like the Pro Am's and others killed way more than your 6 and a lot of them were 1 year old fish. I know a lot of these fish are kept and eaten also but there are a lot more that are just thrown away I am sure. I know all about the pen rearing and all that $$$ going back into the lake so don't bother with all that talk.

Jeremy, I like the "where were you casting" question after dogging the guy about him keeping his allowable limit, especially you being a charter captain should know that people like to keep and eat some of the fish they catch :!:

The key thing here is he kept only his limit of legally caught fish :!: :!: :!: :!:

Hi Matt,

I always look forward to your post, it lets me know whats going on in our area for fishing. I have fished with you probably 6 times and I think that you are a first class fishermen with high standards. We have never kept a snagged fish and all fish have been legal size. We eat what we catch and have had some great new ways of eating fish, like smoking fish. I have loved the fishing and the time spent with you on the water enjoying the day. There are always a few that don't agree, but keep up the good work.

I think that those that are snagging fish are the ones to yell at, and you do. Next time don't show your pictures. Your true friends know you are a stand up young man. Lets go fishing buddy.

Doug

Its people like mr.Steelhead that have been a member for about two years and only has fifteen post,LURKER, unless it is to call someone out. Capedium keep up all the fishing and keep the pics coming. Just stay away from my fishing holes you hungry meat eater :lol:

Doug

Carpedium and others

I did not intend on it coming out as squarely and rough as I guess it did. People that know me TOM know that Im not like that. It was meant more for humor about you needing food etc.

I fish sandy creek the majority of the winter-spring when the boats not in the water and this year I have seen such low water so far at the oak and sandy with alot of dead browns gutted on the banks along with some steelhead. I had just gotten back from fishing and seeing 2 dead browns up at church road that were gutted for their eggs and i guess it just hit me wrong seein 6 more browns dead thats all.

Im all for keeping your limit, on my charters I reccomend they treat the browns like steelhead and keep only 1, does that happen all the time? No most clients want to keep their fish. It is just my suggestion which is the key word here for them to keep all the salmon they want and release the browns because I like to see em in the fall up the creeks. Lets relax here people this is an open forum for discussing things just like this. If any of you guys were offended I apologize.

Jax thanks for the last post. I believe a lot of us on here have gotten to know Matt and your post just came out the wrong way and we jumped to his defense because he is a great guy and an ethical and fair sportsman. It is good to have different perspectives sometimes to keep people thinking about things, especially things that aren't guaranteed to always be around like a living natural resource.

On a seperate note, are browns good to eat? I've always heard they aren't very tasty so I have never even tried them. I have all of the salmon and lakers I can eat and they are better right??

Actually, Browns are one of my favorites to eat. Moreso from the open lake than on the spawning run, but browns taste just fine. If you like smoked fish, they are one of my favorites in the smoker.

Jax, my response was more towards mr steelheads bag of tripe than you, but I did think yours was a bit harsh as well. No worries :)

Tim

The browns I have been catching on the lake are very good eating, also the cohos. I have yet to keep any out of the streams, so i don't know how they are.

Basically, I don't want to be harassed about my fishing, just like I'm sure you don't - I don't think that's what the forum is for, as it is not a way to productively engage a 'discussion'. If it was a joke that's fine, but i don't know you or your style of humor :lol: .

I am not the guy that zips fish open for the eggs, as a matter of fact i don't really even use eggs, i prefer drifting flies. For the amount of eggs i use i am better off going to buy them pre-tied (my first shot at salmon egg curing was a dud i think anyway :( )

Authoring posts like your first one suggests you're not 'all for keeping your limit' and that's why everyone took it the way they did, particularly when you are a charter captain taking people out to harvest fish.

I'm here mostly to make friends that share a common passion... fishing. If i can ever be a friend and help you out with anything let me know.

Thanks for the apology. :)