Line for rigger rods

I can only comment Lake Ontario ... minimum 20lb mono, preferably 30 lb mono. Use a leader around 20 ft long of fluoro ... weight is dependent ... smaller the more action on the lure ... but on Lake O 20 lb is typical.  Captain Dan Keating will say try 12 lbs for better action and stealth ... I see his point, just never had the balls to do it. I do use the smallest possible bb swivels I can get, based on his recommendation.

Matt a couple of considerations: the fleas later on and the species targeted. I use 30 lb. Bloodrun Sea Flee line to help with the fleas on my rigger rods and then leader off of it with 20 lb, fluoro on Lake O and 12 lb fluoro on the Fingers. If targeting browns during the Spring I sometimes use 8 lb fluoro on the Fingers.... just can't horse the fish with it. For many many years I just used 12 lb Big Game on Lake O and the Fingers but the fleas changed all that. The 30 lb seems like rope but it helps with the flea stuff so I leave it on year round and just change leaders. I also use a small high quality solid ring ball bearing swivel at the terminus of leaders and a #8 Spro barrel swivel to connect between the 30 lb and the leader. # 8's and 10's will go through most rod tips and eyelets OK..

I generally use one 20 ft long for sticks and spoons. If using attractors I hook directly to main line without leader.If you keep them the same length it helps with determining the set back distance from the weight.

Edited by Sk8man

Ok thanks Les always a help and awesome info! Is there a certain length of lead from the ball that will hinder spoon action or stick bait? Say I’m using rigger rods for rainbows, would 75 ft plus hurt the actions of the spoon?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I usually have the best luck for bows on the Fingers with leads 50 or less Matt but experimenting is always a good idea. Stickbaits may be run back that far and I use a large split shot about 3-4 ft up from the lure to keep it down a bit.

I do a lot of similar things the difference I like my leaders for rigger rods to stay around 10 feet that is because I sometimes run spoons tight to the weights especially if running deeper down in the summer on calm days that way boat movement will translate to more action and trigger some bites

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app