Teaching resources

Over the past few years I have been putting a ton of kings in the boat. I feel my salmon program is dialed in. This is due to what I have learned from others and my own trial and error. I want to keep learning and call me greedy but catch even more kings! Can anyone recommend good and resources to learn more. Books, dvds etc. Being the off season its a good time to learn even more. I do not need to book a charter. I have multiple charter captains I talk with and they are an amazing resource. Any ideas would be great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The best resource would be to become an observer on the tournament scene.  Best way to learn is from the pros using stuff on Lake O.  Keating is an excellent Lake Michigan angler, but some of the stuff he preaches does not translate to our lake.  

• Like 1

I have learnt a lot through this site and Spoonpullers, Youtube, Keatings books and videos, Best Chance Too videos, Chip Porter's videos, and Great Lakes Angler magazine an the occassional Ontario Out of Doors article.  The LOTSA salmon school and seminars were great to learn and network, as were the Grimsby Tackle Seminars - shout out to Shane and Mark, and many thanks to Mark who talked to me about South Shore fishing on the Canadian side and got me hooked.

My learning curve skyrocketed when I started to fish with others, on their boats and on mine ... including with Gill-T who invited me down from Canada to fish your side of the lake for my first brown trout a couple of Springs ago, and for some excellent early/mid season salmon fishing last season.  I highly recommend getting out with other fishermen.

I met four of my current fishing buddies when I was placed on their boat as an observer in the KOTL out of the Scarborough Bluffs in Toronto, and we have fished together for a few years since then.  They are decades ahead of me so it is great to learn from their experiences and the art they practice on the lake.  Met another fella who became a close fishing buddy at a fishing store, we talked lures and he ended up fishing on my boat boat a few days later, and we have fished his boats, mine and others over the last few years.

Talking and fishing with folks who do not have the same go to waters that I do, or the same go to methods that I have, has greatly expanded my fishing program.  I am typically a deep water (180 FOW plus) fisherman focusing on spoons and flies, but when fishing with shallow water folks (40 - 90 FOW) who use meat, I have reallly learned a lot.  Also understanding how others think about pre-planning about where to fish has been great.

Ken

At least a few ways to be an observer.  Check out the tournament websites and contact the organizers who can usually set people up on boats as an observers (may put you in touch with an out of town boat who may not know locals), or watch the posts before a tournament when people post looking for observers.  Might also ask folks who fish the tournaments (facebook, this site, etc) if they they need an observer for a tournament or if they know anyone who does.  Once you make a contact or two opportunities come up.  K

Edited by Knot Worthy

On 2/3/2019 at 1:37 PM, Gill-T said:

The best resource would be to become an observer on the tournament scene.  Best way to learn is from the pros using stuff on Lake O.  Keating is an excellent Lake Michigan angler, but some of the stuff he preaches does not translate to our lake.  

I second that.  My fish numbers went up considerably since the first time I volunteered 2 years ago. I did it again last year, and picked up even more knowledge.I'm looking forward to doing it again this year.

12 hours ago, Knot Worthy said:

At least a few ways to be an observer.  Check out the tournament websites and contact the organizers who can usually set people up on boats as an observers (may put you in touch with an out of town boat who may not know locals), or watch the posts before a tournament when people post looking for observers.  Might also ask folks who fish the tournaments (facebook, this site, etc) if they they need an observer for a tournament or if they know anyone who does.  Once you make a contact or two opportunities come up.  K

Iv been an observer for a couple years, yes it really takes a lot of the curve out of the learning curve. I also just ordered 2 of keatings books.

last year was my first year chasing kings and we did really well.  

Brian sure has his program dialed in, but the past few years have made everybody feel like a superhero when it comes to kings. At some point we're going to get back to reality, and that's when the details - things that might only mean a one or two fish difference when they're snapping - become all important. I think that you have the right attitude. Don't get lazy because the catching is easy. And don't get stuck in a rut, because what worked to catch fish in 2018 may change dramatically in 2019. Understanding how a system responds to change can be more impactful than even a deep understanding of a system in stasis. I think that most tournament anglers would agree. How many times does a plan get blown up when things shift? If you know how conditions dictate your choices, you'll be much better off than simply having a go-to strategy.

Somebody on here, I can't remember who, has a great byline - "always learning or never learning". Amen.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:08 AM, Chinook Chaser said:

Over the past few years I have been putting a ton of kings in the boat. I feel my salmon program is dialed in. This is due to what I have learned from others and my own trial and error. I want to keep learning and call me greedy but catch even more kings! Can anyone recommend good and resources to learn more. Books, dvds etc. Being the off season its a good time to learn even more. I do not need to book a charter. I have multiple charter captains I talk with and they are an amazing resource. Any ideas would be great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Heres a good list of ideas. Some of them have been covered but...

1. Online Forums

www.lakeontariounited.com

www.greatlakesfisherman.com

Endless information available on every topic. Virtually a library. 

2.Facebook and social media

https://www.facebook.com/teamlegacysportfishing/

We are all on social media and there is a ton of info posted every day. New products, fishing reports, how to videos, ect. Get on and follow captains, friends, manufactures. LOts of group pages on FAcebook also.

3.Great Lakes Angler Magazine

http://www.glangler.com/

Really the only choice for printed material these days that pertains to what we do.

4.Clubs

https://lotsa1.org/

https://geneseecharterboat.com/

http://www.elosta.org/

Join some clubs and go to meetings. There is often speakers at monthly meetings. I know that LOTSA does this on a regular basis.

5.Tournaments

Volunteering to be an observer gets a chance to get on some boats that you probably never would and see what they do. Best part is you get paid to fish!!! A lot of teams will also invite you to fish with them on big fish friday. The WHI, ProAms, Atommik Invite all require observers. Contact tournament organizers and they will put you on the back up list if you cant find a team in need of one already.

The other side of that is... fish some tournaments. Start small. Put a crew together and have fun. Tournament fishing has taught me more about fishing than chartering clients ever will.

6.Shows

Niagara Fishing Expo/ LOTSA Salmon School

https://niagarafishingexpo.com/

ELOSTA Flea Market

http://www.elosta.org/

GCBA Flea Market

https://geneseecharterboat.com/

Get out and go to shows and get in on the seminars. I would encourage everyone to spend a couple days at the Niagara Expo. I think this past year there was over 100 seminars in 3 days. 

7.Books and DVDs

Dan Keating

http://www.bluehorizonsportfishing.net/salmon-fishing-books-videos.html

Dan Keating offers some good reading relevant material. I have not seen the DVDs but I have read his books.

8. Captains

Try reaching out to some guys and asking questions. Or doing the old school dock walk and talk it up. Besides tournaments, most guys (including myself) are willing to give out information.