Downrigger release

I’ve used blacks for many years and like them. On L. Ontario like to really load up rigger rods so the hook set is solid. Occasionally will check a rod and find a little guy we’ve been dragging. On Erie we’ll still use the blacks but will cinch a long rubber band to the line and then attach it to the black release. We don’t load the rods as much on Erie. If u watch your rod tips you’ll see them jiggling when small eyes are on. Bought Chamberlains last year but never got around to using them. They do seem well designed and high quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Matt - The Blacks  are good for all around use and especially for running things like attractors that have a lot of drag or resistance in the water as they have a pretty extensive range for setting tension. Chamberlains excel at lower range tension settings  for fishing for walleyes  and detecting small fish and light hitters. For general Finger Lakes trout and salmon fishing the Blacks are fine. Rig them on the downrigger cable itself not at the weight for better and more consistant releases.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Egoody said:

Chamberlain Downrigger Release

Check them out as an option for you to try. We all have recommendations of what we like to use.
You will find numerous posts on this site regarding your release question.

Boat Safe
egoody

X2 on the Chamberlain, I have used many many releases over the past 40 years and in my opinion the adjustable operation of the Chamberlain is hard to beat. Tight to the rod release and light enough not to drag a 14" walleye

• Like 1

I guess im X3 on the chamberlain. i've been trolling for some 30+ yrs. and used most releases including rubber bands. but what works good for salmon isn't always the best for walleye. in my opinion the chamberlain is a must for erie walleye. I have mine set where I can put a good bend in the rod then the lure tension loose enough to trip on most small fish, even white perch.

The only potential difference between the Blacks and the Chamberlains is in the upper tension range. The maximal release tension setting for the Chamberlains is a little over 4 lbs which is quite a bit for normal  use but the Blacks can be set to more than that for salmon fishing for example when running large attractors and meat rigs, secret weapon rigs with them on it  etc. where the resistance and drag int he water at higher speeds could trigger the Chamberlains.

Edited by Sk8man

The only potential difference between the Blacks and the Chamberlains is in the upper tension range. The maximal release tension setting for the Chamberlains is a little over 4 lbs which is quite a bit for normal  use but the Blacks can be set to more than that for salmon fishing for example when running large attractors and meat rigs, secret weapon rigs with them on it  etc. where the resistance and drag int he water at higher speeds could trigger the Chamberlains.
I don't have false releases with them. I don't think I even crank them down all the way for a big paddle / meat setup.
  • Like 1

A lot depends on how set up and trolling speed etc. I'm not saying it happens all the time at any speed etc.but it does depend on amount of drag or resistance and the Black's can be set  at a higher degree of tension at the maximum range while the main strength of the Chamberlains is at the lower tension range (to avoid carrying around small fish or to detect light hitters like some Walleyes). Carefully watching you rod tips can eliminate this when using the Blacks as well. I like both releases ....just noting differences in use.:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

On 2/5/2019 at 9:40 AM, spoonfed-1 said:

Been running Scottys since 1994 off the back of the weight. Never had any reason to change.

I run Scotty’s as well . I put 3’ leads on them and grab them with a small boat hook so I don’t have to muscle the balls into the boat to reset the release. For walleyes I use the smaller planner board release. With the long leads on the releases it’s easier to see the small fish move the rod.  Saw the long leads on Salt Patrols web site a west coast salmon guide . Interesting to see how they do things out there.

• Like 1

I have been happy enough with my Blacks to not switch from them.  When we fish for eyes, I set them at 1.5-2lbs, when getting back to Lake O, we set them back to 4-5lbs and adjust from there depending what we are pulling behind them.  Both seem to be good starting points for us.

• 4 years later...

I have been told releases can damage my line. I would like to hear if anyone agrees with this (or not) and what they have done to protect their line. Currently I am using off shore releases with rubber bands fishing with either mono or braid.

5 hours ago, laker1 said:

I have been told releases can damage my line. I would like to hear if anyone agrees with this (or not) and what they have done to protect their line. Currently I am using off shore releases with rubber bands fishing with either mono or braid.

With most releases you don't have to worry about line damage unless using very low pound test and setting the release too high in tension. Same for rubber bands if you are using the right size/strength. By the way if the ones you are using are too strong they can usually be weakened by leaving them in the sun for awhile.:smile:

We're a big fan of Black's downrigger releases. We use them almost exclusively. However, when fishing Lake Trout and Brown Trout we'll utilize the loop on the top of the Black's release and put a tethered release through it. Something similar to this, but in a Scotty.