Cayuga CAYUGA 1st OUT

Doc

Headed out of Taughannock yesterday by 7am. This was after I took the ice spud to the 3 inches at the shoreline and about 20 feet out into the launch. Was well prepared with spud and waders as I had checked it out the Friday afternoon prior. (You're welcome to anyone who came in after us.) The bubbler is working but with the extreme cold weather it could not keep up with the shoreline icing up. The channel itself was narrow but open. Ran boards with sticks and spoons. All the normal patterns I run this time of year. Ran about a half hour with nothing than it was on with pretty much non-stop action till we pulled the plug at 2:30, had to get home to sleep, worked 3rd shift on Sunday night so I could get out again this morning. The bag was mixed, browns salmon and lakers. Biggest brown was 8lb4oz biggest salmon was 6lb13oz. Lakers ran up to 7-8ish. Light chop on the water as the winds were about 10mph. We kept a 2 man limit with many released. Great easy day and felt great to be on the water, hadn't been on the lake since before deer season back in September. Between hunting and working 6 day weeks, haven't had any spare time for the boat and usually get out many times in December and January. As for today, totally different day. Launched by 7 again with no ice to chip today lol. Fished same areas with very few fish marked and only boated 2 lakers with only a couple other hits. Too nice of a day obviously and the parking lot was full with boat trailers when we came in, we packed it in around 1.I can't get back out till Sunday, I'm hoping for cold, overcast and 8-12 mph wind, fish will bite and fair weather fisherman will stay home. 

• Like 5

That's great to hear, especially the salmon and browns.  I got out today also, landed 9 lakers, but I haven't gotten a brown or salmon in the last several times out.  Good to hear they're out there!  I'm curious how many feet of water and how deep you found the salmon & browns?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Am i reading that that right , salmon and browns down 2 to 10 ft thought they would be deeper but with the cold water temps they could be just about anywhere just didn't expect them to be that shallow 

Always on top this time of year. And yes you’re right, with water temperatures cold they could be anywhere but I always focus on top now. Surface temp varied from 32.5-34.5. Last Sunday (5th time out in last 2 weeks) was a ****ty day. Only boated about 12 fish, mixed bag, kept just a few. Lost a couple 7-8+ lb browns at the boat and some nuisance pike. Ran a 10 rod spread. Disappointed. It was better two weeks ago. Hopefully it will pick up again soon.
IMG_2121.JPG

• Like 1

The sad part is that the pike are likely native to our waters while the browns, the rainbows, and the salmon were all introduced. Depends upon what you call a nuisance.

When they bite off about $50 worth of lures each time out=nuisance lol

20 hours ago, Doc said:

Always on top this time of year. And yes you’re right, with water temperatures cold they could be anywhere but I always focus on top now. Surface temp varied from 32.5-34.5. Last Sunday (5th time out in last 2 weeks) was a ****ty day. Only boated about 12 fish, mixed bag, kept just a few. Lost a couple 7-8+ lb browns at the boat and some nuisance pike. Ran a 10 rod spread. Disappointed. It was better two weeks ago. Hopefully it will pick up again soon.
IMG_2121.JPG

I like pike.  More so than trout but that is just me (trout guys - exhale).  The one fish looks to be a chain/pike hybrid.

We never had alot of luck with rigs that deep. Usually did better with downriggers and dipsys. Often spin doctors did really well however I'm sure with the proper amount of weight on a seth green and knowing how deep you were getting with it it could do well. Still far more work than flatlining though! But I feel like that's where the bigger landlocks hang

one of the things that works well (for the lakers) in the winter along that line is running a Seth Green with a set of cowbells and peanut or Spin N Glow at the bottom with a 40 oz weight and a 25 or 30 ft leader about 3 ft above with a spoon or crank bait etc. Run it right near the bottom out deep and/or through the  bait balls.

Edited by Sk8man

21 hours ago, suttontroller94 said:

2 ways to fish this time of year. Flatlines early then small leadcores later or if that isnt working go out to middle and fish those deep baitballs. Not easy fishing doing the 2nd option but it yields good fish if you hit it right.... unfortunately by deep I'm talking 150+ foot down

150 down with your riggers?   And there are silver fish down that deep?   If I'm going to try that with my manuals I better hit the gym hard. 💪💪

33 minutes ago, Reel Doc said:

150 down with your riggers?   And there are silver fish down that deep?   If I'm going to try that with my manuals I better hit the gym hard. 💪💪

150+ yes sometimes it can be deeper too. Often times we run mag wire divers out 350 of more aswell. Call me crazy but there are fish there and it's not always guaranteed you'll strike them but I bet you'll get more silvers than Lakers fishing like that

ifishy - When fishing the water that is also inhabited by big pike a short titanium leader (smaller diameter and stronger than others) can prevent snap-offs and it may also give some additional action to some lures (stiffness).

I know browns can get finicky about action I don’t spend much time in waters that have both that close to gather but I know when on Seneca when I used to pike fish it I never had a trout or salmon by catch (used small diameter black non coated steel) I don’t winter fish the boat though so by the time I’m out there now the pattern is marginally different and these days it’s lake O which the pike and browns are even less likely to be on the same troll

• 3 weeks later...

How do you keep a Seth green rig legal for number of hooks on a line. Does it stay at nine hooks on a line over all for the sg rig. I've only seen these ride one time about thirty years ago and it had a bunch of hookup spots for baited leaders. Hope this makes sense

I know browns can get finicky about action I don’t spend much time in waters that have both that close to gather but I know when on Seneca when I used to pike fish it I never had a trout or salmon by catch (used small diameter black non coated steel) I don’t winter fish the boat though so by the time I’m out there now the pattern is marginally different and these days it’s lake O which the pike and browns are even less likely to be on the same troll

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app