7 vs 19 wireline

This has probably been hashed out here before but I just purchased a couple Talora diver rods. I had a couple heartlands with twillitips many moons ago.Then I switched to Okuma rollers about 10 yrs ago. I am now switching back to twilli tips , Ive been sitting here looking at these new rods and reading where guys can not get  the tips off or end up cutting the end of the rods off..  I have also been reading that using 19 strand wire you do not need a twilli tip.I use my diver rods a lot. If I bought 19 strand wire do I have to cut the tips Off?  How is the 19 strand  for fleas.?  Ive got the twilli tips already.

If you intend to use the rods for dipsey divers, you will be well served with 7 strand and roller tips, which is a bit tougher than the 19 strand material.If you want to use the weighted steel in combination with wire line, then the 19 strand is the right choice because of its very low water resistance. I use that combination instead of copper and I love it.The rollers will not hurt the the 19 strand ,but you have no need for them.

I’ve been using 19 strand for both mag inside divers and regular size outside divers for years now. It has been improved a lot from the first wire that was available. 19 strand, regular ceramic guides and a Twili tip is the best setup. Rollers are totally unnecessary and I would argue the point that they’re actually less desirable for multiple reasons.

Cut the factory tip off with a file or fine tooth saw blade, something that won’t generate heat and soften the rod blank’s epoxy.

This is very easy to do, just cut the tip off right below the bottom of the metal tube and unwind the trim thread down to a clean blank. An exacto knife or single edge razor blade will be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

John knows that of which he speaks lol. Don't try to heat up the tip in order to remove it. Those Talora rods, and all of our rods are Taloras, aren't built for sissies. You will melt the blank. 

As for 7 versus 19 strand, IMHO our major issue has been when a single strand shears and necessitates cutting the entire thing. 19 strand would seem to be more susceptible to that drawback. I don't know whether the advantage of being more supple outweighs this or not.

Guys, thanks for the great info here.  I am in the process of purchasing rods for my wire dispels.  Do Tailors make a rod that does not have the rollers that you would recommend. I looked at the website and they have so many rods in this space and its a little overwhelming.  Is there a model number you would recommend?

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Shimano-Talora-Trolling-Rods

Thanks for any direction boys.  Also are ugly sucks out of the question?

Stan - John  probably knows more about rods than anyone on the forum and his advice is always very relevant. I've used roller rods for about 50 plus years with seven strand and the only major problem I  have had with roller tips is with the cheap ones with aluminum side plates and 7 strand wire where the rod gets cocked in the holder and the wire see-saws through the aluminum and a change to a steel sided roller tip solved that problem. Another potential one is the use of 50 lb braid line as it can lodge between the side plate and roller if there is any space at all there severing the braid when weight is applied. Despite seeming a bit "awkward" the twilli has neither problem but I still like the "feel" of roller tips over them. To expand on John's suggestion regarding the Exacto knife. ...if it is used to score around the intended cut area real good the use of a coping saw or other fine toothed saw (e.g.carefully used hack saw) it will give a better result than just initial use of a saw.

rollercuts1a.jpg

I bought a couple TLA100MH2  . I will get a fine tooth saw and cut them off. Actually my kids got a pretty clean cut on my spinning rods with the trunk of the car. Might do that .  Thanks for the many replies....
Ha. Best idea yet but no one ever mentions it!

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app