New Chartplotter

High Bidder

It's time to upgrade my chartplotter. I am deciding between Garmin 1022 and Lowrance Elite 12ti. The Garmin costs 30% less but I'm not sure if I can connect it to my Simnet system for my autopilot. Can anyone tell me if there is an adapter cable available or if the Garmin has a Micro C data port. Or which unit is the better unit. I now have a 13 yr old Lowrance Globalmap which still works but the map card does not cover the western part of the lake and its too old to use a upgraded card. 

Have you looked at Simrad GO series chart plotter?  I upgraded from a Global Map to a Simrad Go 7 with Navionics last season.  Nice bright touchscreen that views good even in bright sun light.  Been happy with it so far- looks good in the dash too.

The Simrad Go series is compatible but it looks more complicated to quickly mark a waypoint when you hook a fish. I was at the Outdoor show in Harrisburg and there was a rep and display there from Simrad and Lowrance. The Lowrance has a waypoint button where as it seems with the Simrad you have to go through a menu to mark the waypoint. I'm not sure how the Garmin works on waypoints. What is your opinion on the waypoints?

The way I look at it the Simrad is a touchscreen unit-the only button on it is the power button.  So all your info is via touch-way points can be entered several ways and to me it is a matter of getting used to unit. A few swipes and it is in-do it a few times and no big deal.   I liked the fact it was compact and the screen was bright in sunlight.  I also generally run more off my tracks vs going way point to way point.  I've attached a picture of my dash with GO7 chart plotter and you can see how compact it is.  My Lowrance Gen 2 touch is to the left and that takes up more space with it's row of buttons.  Like anything every unit has plus and minus- you have to judge what is best for you.  Operation in bright sunlight was important to me and I had a buddy in Florida that put Simrads on his new center console and he really liked them in the Gulf.IMG_0225.thumb.JPG.3bc69eaa74ebab05d06d9f715e2bb9b9.JPG  

Its Simnet. Yes, its a AP24. I only need the NMEA2K info sent to the Simnet system. The Lowrance and Simrad units have a micro C port and will connect. Now the only decision is , will a new unit and card give me a contour view on the west end of the lake and offer the same ease of operation as my old Globalmap in marking waypoints and displaying SOG  and course. My Globalmap apparently is not compatable with the newer cards.

Garmin has great mapping especially with the new G3 maps that are available. With the Simrad you'd just need to plug in a Navionics card to get a good map on Western LO. When interfacing MFD's with other items (in this case an AP) you get so much more when you interface with the same brand.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up buying a lowarance Elite12 ti unit. Now I have to figure out how to wire the unit . I am going to connect it to my Simnet system via a micro c cable. Do I have to have a separate power supply to the head unit or does it get the power through the simnet sytem? I also am connecting a Point1 GPS antenna to my simnet buss to get more accurate GPS position. The point 1 has a heading compass but I already have a Simrad RC42N compass connected to the system for my autopilot. Will the system just ignore the data from the Point 1 heading compass or will there be a conflict having two heading compasses? Or should I use a GPS antenna without a heading sensor?  Lowrance couldn't answer these questions and the installation manual isn't clear on this matter. Lowrance technical support reads from the same manual that I have and really don't know how to interface different systems so I have to go to the experts on this site.

Edited by High Bidder
Addition comments

NMEA2000 power is isolated from unit power. You will need to power the head unit separately. I'm surprised that you feel you need the separate antenna, but you should be able to configure which GPS antenna and heading sensor to use, assuming your system allows that. SIMNET is essentially NMEA2000, so all devices should talk to each other. Be sure to follow a true trunk line/ drop line config with tees and terminators. Only one power tap for the network.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app