2018 was my first time on Lake Ontario.  I had never caught a King before. Fished 2 weekends the end of May and 2 weekends the end of August out of Olcott.   What a blast!!  I am now hooked.  We caught most of our fish on spoons so I am wanting to add to my arsenal this off season.

What brand and colors do you salmon veterans prefer during early season and then, do you change to different spoons and colors later in the season? I know this conversation has been had many times before but every year thinks can change, new brands and colors hit the market, etc. Any information you would be willing to share is greatly appreciated!

Spoon color is important. Spoon size, weight, the targeted fish, current, water depth, etc. are just as important. The last couple years we have been monitoring boat speed and presentation and what is producing, then trying to duplicate. Slow speeds might mean super slims. Higher speeds might mean NK Mags. Keep in mind that your wires and junk rods should help you determine what type of spoon to run. As far as colors, black, green, black & green get a lot of run time. Glow spoons run early. Blues and purples get run time in bright sun as the morning moves on. When flasher flies get bit on outside turns, we switch to heavier, bigger spoons and speed up. Everything in your spread should match what is producing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Thanks 1

Last year was an anomaly. There was so many Kings in the lake that it didn’t matter what you ran most days. The same spoons that worked the first week of May were still working in September.
As a general rule, though, Yankee pretty much nailed it—as he usually does. [emoji8]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

When NK s first came out there were like  5  patterns  . One was a black blank with  diagonal glow green tape  and a red eye . Was a killer then and still one of my best . The gator and die-hard and others  are just jazzed up versions of it . And really  , a lot  of the spoon patterns are so close , can the fish tell most days? 

Location and presentation . 

FUNDAMENTALS , FUNDAMENTALS, FUNDAMENTALS ! 

I catch fish from 1.5 to almost 3 mph on NK mags . 

• Thanks 1

Paul is right it didn’t matter much last year and it won’t matter this year due to size of this year class. I caught just as many fish on a six inch spoon as I did on super slims so size didn’t matter either. A theme emerged after May on color scheme involving spoons with black-glow-UV. More important was where in the water column you were fishing. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Gill-T said:

Paul is right it didn’t matter much last year and it won’t matter this year due to size of this year class. I caught just as many fish on a six inch spoon as I did on super slims so size didn’t matter either. A theme emerged after May on color scheme involving spoons with black-glow-UV. More important was where in the water column you were fishing. 

Hi Gill, you may not remember me but we docked beside one another last May in newfane.   I have the Pro-Line 251.  I appreciate how helpful you guys were.  Can you tell me besides color, do you find a certain brand ie, Moonshine,  Dreamweaver,  Stinger, etc. Is more effective for you than others?  I  used mostly Dreamweaver magnums last year but the tape and paint seem to come off them easy.  Curious if there is a better brand...  thanks.

The dreamweaver mags work great as do the superslims. The mags need the split rings changed out - not sure what happened with some of the last couple of years production but I lost a bunch of fish by the hook sliding off the split ring. I run a lot of northport nailers also. Hard to go wrong with Michigan Stingers in stingray size.  R&R tackle has good spoons.  Northport nailers have the most durable paint jobs. I have a few moonshine patterns I run also. Stop by some time while in slip and I can show you what is working. Changes slightly every year. 

Edited by Gill-T

Hi Gill, you may not remember me but we docked beside one another last May in newfane.   I have the Pro-Line 251.  I appreciate how helpful you guys were.  Can you tell me besides color, do you find a certain brand ie, Moonshine,  Dreamweaver,  Stinger, etc. Is more effective for you than others?  I  used mostly Dreamweaver magnums last year but the tape and paint seem to come off them easy.  Curious if there is a better brand...  thanks.
I'm docked there in May also. Feel free to stop by the boat, I'd be more than glad to show you what we were having luck with that day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

53 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

The dreamweaver mags work great as do the superslims. The mags need the split rings changed out - not sure what happened with some of the last couple of years production but I lost a bunch of fish by the hook sliding off the split ring. I run a lot of northport nailers also. Hard to go wrong with Michigan Stingers in stingray size.  R&R tackle has good spoons.  Northport nailers have the most durable paint jobs. I have a few moonshine patterns I run also. Stop by some time while in slip and I can show you what is working. Changes slightly every year. 

Thanks, I will be renting a slip from May 17th thru June 9th.   Fishing Friday evenings thru Sunday afternoons each of those weekends.  Hope to see you there.

26 minutes ago, Legacy said:

I'm docked there in May also. Feel free to stop by the boat, I'd be more than glad to show you what we were having luck with that day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Legacy, I'll look you up in May.  Cant get here soon enough.   My boat name is Gravy, if you see me stop over for a cold one.

• Like 2

We like the Stingray size vs the stinger size. Best color the last 20 years is NBK! The seem to work from spring till season end.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Thanks 1

Imagine that , black green and silver lazer . All the right colors 

I put glow on almost all my spoons 

I buy the 2 pack of 2x 5   sheets . 

Lay the sheet on my work bench , and with a sharp razor free hand  a 1/4 " piece like the curve of the edge of the cup of the spoon and stick it onthe back . Then just keep working the sheet across . 

I don't know if it makes a difference to the fish , but I don't think it hurts .  

A flash of glow to convince a undecided follower into taking a bite :-) :-)

Edited by HB2
  • Like 1