All it takes is one to make us all look bad!

Sk8man

Yesterday when my son and I were were walking out on the ice at Conesus I stared at a spot on the ice  in disbelief. It was littered with dead shiners, dead gills, a pile of charcoal briquettes, a garbage bag with trash, an empty propane tank, and an empty full sized brandy bottle all embedded in the ice. It was the most disgusting example of why some people spoil things for the rest of us whether hunting or fishing. Unfortunately, trying to retrieve the stuff was impossible as it had frozen right into the ice. Several other fishermen I spoke with had seen it and were enraged....really sad. When we came back in I noticed that someone had been able to free and collect the garbage bag and propane cylinder at least.

Edited by Sk8man

I gave up shore fishing because I can't stand what I see without getting upset and I got sick of being furious at the slobs that make up a good percentage of shore anglers.  Between snaggers, cast nets, garbage, no respect for the fish, and total disregard for the law shore fishing is no fun anymore unless it's the middle of the night when I don't see the mess and I don't see the slobs.  Sad but true.... 

• Sad 1

Exactly what you said.   I seen the trash ice fishing a couple weeks ago on sodus,  I picked it up and hauled it home.   I wonder what goes thru these peoples heads when they just up and leave they're crap.  You know they live this way.  Houses or where ever they live,  Yard, house a dump.   Pigs!

2 hours ago, fish-on said:

Exactly what you said.   I seen the trash ice fishing a couple weeks ago on sodus,  I picked it up and hauled it home.   I wonder what goes thru these peoples heads when they just up and leave they're crap.  You know they live this way.  Houses or where ever they live,  Yard, house a dump.   Pigs!

You wonder what goes through their heads? Very little! That is the problem.

Edited by rolmops

Education is the only answer...it's very difficult to get the slobs to change, but getting kids out there and teaching them the right way is much easier and doable. It is our responsibility to teach the next generation of fishermen and women. Go out of your way to take a kid fishing and not just your own kids. Make a point to spend far more time teaching lessons of being a responsible sportsman than teaching them how to catch a fish. It's really not about success rates...problem is the Bill Saifs of the world teach the outdoors a little differently!

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Justin has hit the nail on the head and the responsibility even goes beyond  the sports. Frequently I see fast food bags and soda containers strewn about the roadways and it is obvious that they didn't just blow out of someones trash container waiting for the trash guys to retrieve.

6 hours ago, longspurs said:

I saw lot of junk on conesus 2 weeks ago as well. I found something frozen in the ice lost of people should read . I think there is a section that says bring out what u bring in. IMG_20190206_095629.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The only positive in this photo is at least they purchased a license....

I have not seen too many problems over the years up until the past few years. It seems it is getting worse, not better. Marking your "secret" spot with an  empty propane cylinder is not the way to go. Unfortunately, attitude and the way you were brought up is a hard thing to change.