Eyes on the Super Moon

lyk2fish

Got out to one of my spots last night to try, moon bright, was concerned because this year the bright moon hadn't helped me in this spot. Night started slow, but as the moon rose, I decided to change colors to darker patterns. Was like a light switch, and an aggressive bite began which was the first I've had in the spot since Jan 23rd. All i can say, is play with colors on those bright moon nights, the darker the better for me. Ended with a pb over 11lb. And at 12 degrees out fishing open water, it was an awesome reward. 

20190219_200931.jpg

20190219_195233.jpg

20190220_080451.jpg

Prof T, my dad is 78 and joins me most nights, I always tell him even when we dont get alot of bites, dont be mad, be happy your here with me playing a young man's game.......I said this to him last year at another spot, he wasn't getting any bites and I was getting a few...all the sudden, he gets hit.....the only hit for him that night.....he was blessed with a 32 over 12pounds....proud moment for me. So get out if ya can.

20180309_000432.jpg

• Like 2

Moon was so bright I got my binoculars out to scan the fields.

I tried in my back yard but got skunked.  I am hoping for a slight warm up before the end of season.  If it wasn't for the drive home I would be throwing right next to you.  Congrats, glad to see you are getting them.

Hasn't been on fire this year with rivers up and down, a grind no doubt.....night game is tough when working the next day....justin and I have burned the midnight oil, and he'll attest.....I dont sleep when they're biting. Far more fish less nights than with.....but it's about being out......trust me, I'll be dealing with the drive in the spring with trips up to OZ and back. Land the boat in wrights at 4am, on the road and home by 7:30, couple nights a week.......the bite is an addiction....and those that share the passion for the night bite know. Thanks for the kind words all.

• 4 weeks later...

I fish from late October through the close of the season in open water, definitely like the flow of the rivers to be clear but not too low......I only fish these systems at night. Earlier bites in the fall....meaning right at dark till around 9 then it picks back up around mid-night. As the winter progresses the bite for me got later and later due to longer days and time change. Fish deeper pools adjacent to shallow rifts or bars. Stick baits like rapala husky jerks or x-raps do it for me.....slow retrieving with a pause is how I do it with most hits coming on the pause. Best months for me this year was October-December..........Jan-March good but dealing with chilled water that would ice up and skim over fast ending your night when the bite was beginning......even in light current, skim ice developed on the water surface. I run straight floro due to the freeze on braid. If you fish these spots with success during the day.......go back at night, be patient......and you might get a chance to really see the big fish that lay in these pools. Good luck.

Awesome job guys!!! Really adore you taking dad along, do all ya can with him. Like me someday it will be memories!! But there's nothing like talking to dad instead of yourself. I'm sure you 2 were like dad and i, we were best of friends as much as father & son.🙏👍👍

I certainly don't fish the rivers hard anymore like Kevin, but if I know the water is up, not chocolate milk , there is front coming in or a full moon, and temps are at least near freezing so eyes don't freeze every cast I'm miserable if I don't go!!! For my personal fishing, which I don't get much anymore because I'm guiding, I don't stay up all night anymore unless it's right.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for sharing some of your hard earned river wisdom guys. My hat is off to you for being dedicated night fishermen right thru the winter. Sometime this year I plan to give it a try and I'll report how I do. I enjoyed the story and pic of your Dad's lunker Lyk2fish. Awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Lake Ontario United mobile app