State of the Lake Announcement

Lucky13

DEC Announces "State of Lake Ontario" Meetings

Biologists to Provide Updates on the Status of Lake's Fisheries

The public will have the opportunity to learn about the State of Lake Ontario fisheries at public meetings to be held in Niagara, Monroe, Oswego and Schenectady counties in March, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos announced today.

"Lake Ontario and its tributaries provide world-class angling opportunities that are generating substantial recreational and economic benefits to towns and cities along the lake," Commissioner Seggos said. "The State of Lake Ontario meetings provide an excellent opportunity for everyone interested in the lake to interact with the scientists who study and manage its fisheries."

New York's Lake Ontario waters comprise more than 2.7 million acres. The open lake, embayments, and tributaries support thriving populations of sportfish, including trout, salmon, bass, walleye, yellow perch, and panfish. A recent statewide angler survey estimated more than 2.6 million angler days were spent on Lake Ontario and major tributaries, resulting in an estimated economic value of $112 million annually to local communities.

The meeting dates and locations are:

Monday, March 4: 6:30 - 9 p.m. at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) campus (Chester F Carlson Center for Imaging Science), Rochester, Monroe County. The meeting is co-hosted by RIT and the Monroe County Fishery Advisory Board.

Thursday, March 7: 6:30 - 9 p.m. at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Building, 4487 Lake Ave., Lockport, Niagara County. The meeting is co-hosted by Niagara County Cooperative Extension and the Niagara County Sportfishery Development Board.

Thursday, March 14: 6:30 - 9 p.m. at SUNY Schenectady County Community College, Stockade Building, Room 101, 78 Washington Ave., Schenectady, Schenectady County.

Tuesday, March 19: 6:30 - 9 p.m. at the Pulaski High School auditorium, 4624 Salina St., Pulaski, Oswego County. The meeting is co-hosted by the Eastern Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout Association.

Staff from DEC and the United States Geological Survey will make a number of presentations, including updates on the status of trout and salmon fisheries in the lake and its tributaries, forage fish, and stocking programs. The meetings will provide ample time at the end of the scheduled program for the audience to ask questions and interact with the presenters. Information about DEC's Lake Ontario fisheries assessment programs can be found on DEC's website.

For further information contact Christopher Legard, NYSDEC Lake Ontario Unit Leader at the Cape Vincent Fisheries Research Station, (315) 654-2147.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/press.html

• 2 weeks later...

1st state of the Lake meeting this Monday March 4th at RIT college 6:30 PM.  

Scientists--Managers--ECON officers there to answer questions. Attend if you can and Get your own questions answered and learn from others questions and answers . There are 4 meetings this year, please try to attend one if possible.

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

With so many people that fish Lake O that are not local or work 9-5 jobs with responsibilities at home after work, why does the DEC insist on having these meetings in the middle of the week? It seems like Saturday meetings would have a much greater attendance and opportunity for the weekend warriors that support this great fishery to have their input and questions answered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

With so many people that fish Lake O that are not local or work 9-5 jobs with responsibilities at home after work, why does the DEC insist on having these meetings in the middle of the week? It seems like Saturday meetings would have a much greater attendance and opportunity for the weekend warriors that support this great fishery to have their input and questions answered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Back when there was more complaining by some about lack of attendance i made this point. Hell even if you made one a Friday or a monday i could work it around a weekend where i could only have to burn one vacation day. Nope....only Tuesday- Thursday and @6pm or so.... so i have to burn 2 days to make a meeting. Im all for attending but if they wont bend once in a while why should i upend my life.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Here is my attempt at recording last night state of the Lake.  Tripod was not tall enough to see over some heads for my iphone, so some manual hand holding.

Edited by pvelyk
  • Like 4

Back when there was more complaining by some about lack of attendance i made this point. Hell even if you made one a Friday or a monday i could work it around a weekend where i could only have to burn one vacation day. Nope....only Tuesday- Thursday and @6pm or so.... so i have to burn 2 days to make a meeting. Im all for attending but if they wont bend once in a while why should i upend my life.

These guys work 9-5 m-f like we do. And there are like 6 people who present; so getting their schedules coordinated is a bear. That’s my guess why they are during the week

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A lot of people who work in science for government are exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, so while they may accrue the hours, it will be as straight time, not time and a half.

Hats off to Steve Hurst, though, he was driving back to Albany after the meeting.  These guys are hardworking civil servants, and the ambitious plans and “outcomes” presented last night will have them working even harder.

•  

Edited by Lucky13

A lot of people who work in science for government are exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act, so while they may accrue the hours, it will be as straight time, not time and a half.

Hats off to Steve Hurst, though, he was driving back to Albany after the meeting.  These guys are hardworking civil servants, and the ambitious plans and “outcomes” presented last night will have them working even harder.

•  

Thanks. Completely understood and their efforts are appreciated. Hopefully they understand a large portion of the resource user group has similar restrictions and limitations but yet is very interested in the well being if the resource even if not present.

2 hours ago, rdebadts said:

Btw- I loved the increased and improved pen rearing initiative, and the improved stocking techniques discussed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Those increases are great but a little more notice to the pen projects would have been a little nicer!  A three week window to get more pens made, and nets ordered is a little rough......

22 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

Funny - because if the salmon bite is on no one thinks twice about blowing off of work or making a long drive from out of state to fish for a day....not singling you out Fat Trout - just making the statement that so many will get up at 3am to drive up to lake O to fish for a day or whatever - but far fewer show the same enthusiasm for getting involved and making their voices heard.

Edited by AnglingAddict

Funny - because if the salmon bite is on no one thinks twice about blowing off of work or making a long drive from out of state to fish for a day....not singling you out Fat Trout - just making the statement that so many will get up at 3am to drive up to lake O to fish for a day or whatever - but far fewer show the same enthusiasm for getting involved and making their voices heard.
Understood, i can see your perspective. Consider mine a little more. I can't just drop everything when the fishing is hot either. If i could do it and only kill one day i would.....gladly. instead they put it at 6:30 mid week so i have to kill one day of work to get there get a room to stay since my camp is winterized and burn another work day coming home. Incidentally i dont do one day suicide runs anymore in the winter after wrecking once on the highway hitting black ice after (ironically) stopping to get some sleep to be safe lol.
Its ok though. I got over the fact they'll never change the timing but i still pipe up about it once in a while. I appreciate the effort they put in. I just wish that since they promote this as a fishery meant to attract participation of anglers further than the local towns around the lake that there be an occasional attempt to encourage engagement of those same people.

Thank you for posting the video. I am always impressed with the creative data analysis and interpretation at these meetings lol. Seriously, though, these guys bust their humps for us and deserve both our thanks and respect. It's good to see stakeholder engagement. But even though it looks promising for the future, I'm still going to say a little prayer, just to be safe.

1 hour ago, Fat Trout said:

Understood, i can see your perspective. Consider mine a little more. I can't just drop everything when the fishing is hot either. If i could do it and only kill one day i would.....gladly. instead they put it at 6:30 mid week so i have to kill one day of work to get there get a room to stay since my camp is winterized and burn another work day coming home. Incidentally i dont do one day suicide runs anymore in the winter after wrecking once on the highway hitting black ice after (ironically) stopping to get some sleep to be safe lol.
Its ok though. I got over the fact they'll never change the timing but i still pipe up about it once in a while. I appreciate the effort they put in. I just wish that since they promote this as a fishery meant to attract participation of anglers further than the local towns around the lake that there be an occasional attempt to encourage engagement of those same people.

Again - no disrespect and understand your position - see a lot of people making day trips on reports of a good bite - all I was trying to point out.  Would be nice to see more attendance and show support - especially following the epic year we had. Certainly some things being done right by the agencies that manage the lake.

Again - no disrespect and understand your position - see a lot of people making day trips on reports of a good bite - all I was trying to point out.  Would be nice to see more attendance and show support - especially following the epic year we had. Certainly some things being done right by the agencies that manage the lake.
No worries i get it. I wanted to make Schenectady but i have a client inspection that day that carries over to Friday AM. Oh well.

Thanks Pat for posting the video.  The tributary outreach program scares the crap out of me.  There is nothing like giving the keys to the city to the criminals.........  It will promote the trib fishery (which could be a good thing) but along with every respectful trib angler comes 3 snaggers. Do the tribs need any more pressure?  The Salmon River during salmon season is shoulder to shoulder.  How many more cavemen do we need? 

I agree with what Rick (Yankee Troller) said at the end of the video.  Lets have a study done on the conditions of steelhead after being caught over and over again.  Missing meals day in and day out has to have an adverse affect on steelhead.  Being fought over and over again builds up lactic acid in their bodies and burns calories they need to spawn and survive.  They may not be dying off but they have to be leaving the tribs in worse conditions then they should be.  I know I would be a lot thinner if I missed a bunch of meals this winter. 

Edited by GAMBLER

And that would be a bad thing?? :rofl:

I'm going a month now on one meal a day and an hour workout in the morning. Gotta get ready for chainsaw season...

11 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Thanks Pat for posting the video.  The tributary outreach program scares the crap out of me.  There is nothing like giving the keys to the city to the criminals.........  It will promote the trib fishery (which could be a good thing) but along with every respectful trib angler comes 3 snaggers. Do the tribs need any more pressure?  The Salmon River during salmon season is shoulder to shoulder.  How many more cavemen do we need? 

I agree with what Rick (Yankee Troller) said at the end of the video.  Lets have a study done on the conditions of steelhead after being caught over and over again.  Missing meals day in and day out has to have an adverse affect on steelhead.  Being fought over and over again builds up lactic acid in their bodies and burns calories they need to spawn and survive.  They may not be dying off but they have to be leaving the tribs in worse conditions then they should be.  I know I would be a lot thinner if I missed a bunch of meals this winter. 

I want to point out that what Rick said about lake fishers getting their limit and going in and stopping fishing may be true of charter operators who might be able to get a 6 hour trip done in 3 and pick up another at the docks, but there were a lot of hero shots and double digit C+R tales told on this website starting with BrownTrout fishers last February, and continuing right up until the kings started getting tight lips in August,  and then they were offshore steelhead hero shots and big boxes, and there are a lot more boats out there than just the charter operators.   Both groups (trib and lake) have their sore arm facebook junkies!

Every steelhead that goes back in the river is in better shape for the future than the one that went into the trunk of a jersey wagon.   When the thiamenase problem reared up, reports came right in of deads in the river and the estuary, this is not happening with the droppies, and I caught a few last spring and they were in surprisingly good condition and silvering up fast after spawning.  And  a lot of them get tagged by Brown fishers trolling off the tribs, how do you deal with that extra stress?    

17 hours ago, Fat Trout said:

I take it that you are from out of state. Just a suggestion. Does the NY DEC have a presence at any major outdoor or fishing shows in your state? If not, maybe you can talk them into it. If they do, maybe you can get them to have a presentation or meeting there.

I take it that you are from out of state. Just a suggestion. Does the NY DEC have a presence at any major outdoor or fishing shows in your state? If not, maybe you can talk them into it. If they do, maybe you can get them to have a presentation or meeting there.
NJ. No one comes to NJ on purpose, wouldnt blame the DEC on that lol. The posted.video on here was excellent. They spoke of intended outreach initiatives. I might send some constructive comments if i can find a location to send it to.