Leadcore set up

I have always used Big Game 15# Mono. I run big boards, and it works good in the releases. Caught lots of Erie eyes over the years with no issues.

If you run 15# backing with boards and lead core on Lake Ontario you better have a good supply of lead core. Kings aren’t walleyes.
50# braid attached to the lead core with a double Willis knot.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Theres 2 choices mono or braid and good and bad with each. Mono is the economical choice and will do the job but it doesn't put up with the continued abuse. Braid simply survives 3 times longer. Braid all in all is the better choice (for example. It doesnt absorb water. The smaller diameter allows for more backer. Durability. Shelf life is 5 times better.)

https://bloodruntackle.com/hi-vis-backer/

https://bloodruntackle.com/bloodline-braid/

Both these guys have given you very good advice. I would add that mono stretches - even the higher pound test and when used with boards you may not get as good hook-ups with it. The #50 braid isn't "overkill" either especially when using boards, and if the core is run down the chute the braid cuts through the water a little better than the mono.

We use 30lb braid with a splice of 30-50lb mono between the braid and leadcore. The mono splice is for hooking it to a big board release, or on inline board.

A good rule of thumb is 30lb Braid for Leadcore and up to a 300 copper. 50lb braid for anything bigger.

Edited by Yankee Troller

how much lead core? for short cores Mono is good as you still have plenty of spool capacity. For me mono is also more user friendly/forgiving in setting certain releases.  with a good drag 15# mono can handle any king just fine.  as the core gets longer reel capacity matters and the drag and weight of the core itself comes into play and Braid becomes the better choice and with a heavier braid you can tighten the drag a touch and get the fish in quicker within reason.  

if your only chasing walleye than  its a different question and its a matter of what holds up to any board release the best at that point  brightly colored line is nice as its easier to see for tangles especially if you have different colors on different rods.  

Although the 30 # braid may cut through the water and breaking strength not being a major factor as most braid is very strong anyway the reason I use 50 lb is that the smaller diameters of braid can develop loop knots from out of nowhere sometimes and the 50 is much less prone to it and still has a pretty small diameter compared with mono. There are many effective ways to do this stuff so whatever works on your particular boat set up the way you have it is fine. We all get kinda used to our own systems and perhaps think it may be "superior" :lol: but it still boils down to whatever works for you is the way to go:smile: