Rubber Bands and In-Line Planer Boards

1 hour ago, FishingFool34 said:

I'm pretty sure this has been confirmed by other members here. It's not that the wire sinks the same as the steel it's that the wires small diameter allows the steel to continue to sink I believe. Ask him and how he recommends using this setup on planer boards, as I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to know.

I will ask, Most people I know are using 50# power-pro braid as a backing. Our Off-shore planar boards are rigged with a Sams Pro release up front and the snapper release out back. We will often run 4  boards per side up to a 400'er on the magnum board. these set ups just require a separate rod and real for each length of weighted steel. I find it peculiar how cultures vary from one great lake to another. Maybee we'll both learn something.

I emailed Torpedo last summer and asked them about using the wire in a planer release and this is what they responded with. I wasn't ready to make the purchase then so I didn't think anymore into it at that time. I am ready now and realized I didn't really know what he meant by what he said or if he was talking about big board releases vs inline boards. So I asked the question here... anyway this is what they said

image.thumb.png.557318d8d99788c495216ef9f6f5d1ed.png

On 2/26/2019 at 1:55 PM, FishingFool34 said:

I'm pretty sure this has been confirmed by other members here. It's not that the wire sinks the same as the steel it's that the wires small diameter allows the steel to continue to sink I believe. Ask him and how he recommends using this setup on planer boards, as I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to know.

DId some research, I'm  "caught up" now on the principle of the 19 allowing the weighted steel to continue to sink. I could add this: on occasion we have used a 2" length of surgical tubing, split length wise, to shield dacron (lead core) an clamping that directly into an OR 18 sucessfully both catching fish and protecting the dacron.  Just some food for thought on this. I'm an automotive engineer, I'll be spending some time today working on a solution.

I emailed Torpedo last summer and asked them about using the wire in a planer release and this is what they responded with. I wasn't ready to make the purchase then so I didn't think anymore into it at that time. I am ready now and realized I didn't really know what he meant by what he said or if he was talking about big board releases vs inline boards. So I asked the question here... anyway this is what they said

I asked them the same question last year and got the same response. Like you, I was also looking to see if anyone had actually tried the setup but have not heard anyone that actually has. The only reponses I got were people telling me it wouldn't work.
I tried copper once and didn't like it, especially with newbies on the boat. I tried the steel and it is much easier to use and works well. I totally understand the reasoning of the guys that have already invested in and know how to run copper, I would not make switch either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I will ask, Most people I know are using 50# power-pro braid as a backing. Our Off-shore planar boards are rigged with a Sams Pro release up front and the snapper release out back. We will often run 4  boards per side up to a 400'er on the magnum board. these set ups just require a separate rod and real for each length of weighted steel. I find it peculiar how cultures vary from one great lake to another. Maybee we'll both learn something.
Song dog, when you speak to him ask if he could take a picture or upload a video of the setup with the rubberband to his website like he has with his other products. Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This was posted in another thread

On 2/25/2019 at 9:10 AM, NymphO said:

So after reading through the "rubber band / planer board thread" I got to thinking. I have wanted to give the WS a try this year. I have 2 Coldwater high speeds ready to be spooled with WS but now I'm rethinking, so I'll ask for the consensus of those that have the experience.

The reasons I was considering:

Having the equivalent of a 0-whatever copper all on one reel

Clipping off 19 strand to achieve a "per foot" depth vs 200,300,400

Much smoother / less problem line

Ability to use on both king's and eyes

Gents, I really thought this was going to be a nice addition to the spread but the comments on the other thread are making me question things. I spoke with the owner at torpedo who was more than willing to explain everything and my main question was how to terminate on an inline board. His answer was use an offshore board, rubber band (16#) on front and a red OR for the back.

Is there really no benefit to the WS / 19 strand combo ?

If I did this should I splice in mono lengths every 50' or so, even though that will really lower overall strength of the setup ?

I haven't bought the line yet, so I'm just seeing if I should just do copper or give the WS a try.

TIA

On 2/26/2019 at 3:36 PM, FishingFool34 said:

This was exactly Mathews response, sorry I missed this earlier. If you are going to use 19 strand as a backer, on a planer board you are going to have to "deal with a rubber band breaking. 

As for my boat: were staying with 50# power pro backing. 

16 minutes ago, Songdog said:

This was exactly Mathews response, sorry I missed this earlier. If you are going to use 19 strand as a backer, on a planer board you are going to have to "deal with a rubber band breaking. 

As for my boat: were staying with 50# power pro backing. 

That's what I was afraid of... breaking rubber bands are fine for big boards but that's not gonna work on inline boards. Inline board has to be connected directly to the line someplace in order to not lose the board. I guess it's either braid backing on steel or go with copper set ups. Thanks

If I was interested in doing this,

One needs to manufacture the parts needed, taking into account the behavior of wire line.

I do not see a way to have an inline planer release.  Its not all that difficult to point the rod at the board and swing the board in when close enough.  Holding the board tight at the rear or front and rear does not mitigate the extreme disappointment of a fish of a lifetime running towards the boat prior to getting the board off.  (It still stings).  

Back to the wire;

The front connection should be a very tight snatch hook pulley design.  It does not have to turn, just keep the wire on a inch or better radius.  Those small white nylon pulleys are all over the place.  I havent thought much how to undo it, but you better make it fast and easy.  The back would need to be a piece of SS tubing bent and split.  Fill it with a rugged rtv and fasten to a spring loaded clamp.  That holds the board from slipping.  

Who knows, maybe I will make one and come out there and run it.  The come out there and fishing has a better chance of happening than building a Rube Goldberg release.  V1.0

Edited by youp50

Small section of small diameter surgical tubing placed on the 19 strand (wire can slide up and down through it). Insert the tubing in the jaws of the release. Place the tubing behind the little pin in the Offshore release and lock it down tight (maybe use heavy duty rubber band over the jaws of release to keep from opening?) ? May be clumsy in practice but might be worth a try.....

Edited by Sk8man