Lookin for advice for rod holders on 88’ Trophy hardtop

Hachimo

I have a 1988 Trophy 2460 Hardtop. I’m lookin to put 3 rod holders on each sode for my new planer masts i put on. I’m lookin to put these clamp on rod holders on my side handrails.  They are cheap as i dont have the money for a nicer setup for this year. Already spent enough on improvements for this year. My question is do you guys think these rod holders can handle the hit from a king. Plan on havin a long copper and 10 color leadcore of each side, if i want to try something different from riggers and dipsey off each side. I would hate to have an equipment failure and loose an entire combo.  Any one have experience with these rod holders? I will be secureing the handrail so that wont be an issue.  I’m adding pics of the boat handrail and rod holders. Thank you for any imput.  

57C3FAAA-C061-4C50-A506-1B5FB8914A5F.png

87E6E4C5-A608-4D42-9218-217725508957.png

There are at least a couple manufacturers making what may look like identical rod holders like these. I have 8 of the Perkos and although they were a little more expensive than the "lookalikes" there is an inherent problem with some of them and that is that the threaded screw hole part that attached to the rail appears to be made from cast white metal and the screws (allen headed) are stainless steel where they attach to the rail. When you torque down the heads of the allen screws the threads of the base can strip. I originally had 10 of them and two had this problem so I have been "cautious" with the others. I bought a couple replacements for them that were the cheaper ones and they do not have the problem...trouble is I don't remember the brand of the others but the Perkos are the ones with the problem. I've had mine for 15 years so they may have corrected it by now just a "heads up". I don't use them for real heavy set-ups. I think my Perkos were close to  $100 each while the cheaper ones were about $40.

Edited by Sk8man

Thank you guys.  Yea some paracord and clip is gonna go on for insurance.  My copper combos are worth much more then all then all the rod holders.  Sk8man.  Ive had some issues with stainless Bolts and cast aluminum/steel housings.  Crank to tight and your pulling threads out.  I’m guessing there worth a try if you had them that long on your boat.  Worst case scenario they slip and dont hold true on handrail.  At least with a clip on reel i wont loose the combo.  Thank you guys.  I’m gonna order them and give em a shot

43 minutes ago, jth21usa said:

I used these for years on my old boat, they never broke.  The only issue is that they are not very friendly to adjust, especially at sea. 

Justin

That is a very good point! I had to wait until I got home to do anything to mine in the way of adjustment.

I just recived them yesterday. I got them on ebay for 70$ shipped for 6 of them. They are Amarine brand.  They got some weight to them and seem pretty heavy duty for $11.73 a piece.  Only issue i had was the bolts were 1/4 to long becouse my rail is a little smaller then i thought. Put shorter bolts in and the first one mounted nice and tight.  Next warm day I’ll mount the reat and get them adjusted.  Thanks guys for all your imput.  

I ran inline planner board rods off my boat similar to what you are doing for years. I really liked it. For what it's worth, the holders never spun on the mount once set in place. As far as the proper angle, I gave each one a little more upward angle the higher they went. I had three per side. The bottom was just above horizontal, the middle was like 35°, and the top was like 45°-50°. It worked well, especially when it was choppy. The upper holder kept the line out of the water pretty well in rollers. The bottom holders can also run a dipsy if you mount it close to horizontal. Hope this helps a little.

Matt

Well i couldnt wait for that warm day to come so i went outside in the cold and got one side done. I was gonna angle them one more click upward as i went up with the three, but instead I kept them all at the same angle just spun them on the rail a litle more as i went up with the 3 so the rods arent right above each other.  So when i stick my 3 rods in, each tip is about a ft higher then the last and about 18” to the left.  My only concern is that is this setup gonna work where my planer mast is? Just seems my line goin out to the boards is gonna be against my rods. Any thoughts on my setup here? I never fished with any kind of boards but really want to get this right, not only for browns and salmon but walleye on Lake Wallenpaupack thats 10 min from my house.  Maybe best to wait till the ice is off and run the boards and adjust rod holders accordingly 

7BBECC3C-FCA5-4663-B164-8A37B48D91A4.jpeg

Your planer line will definitely interfere with your rods, especially on turns and waves. One of the best options is to move (or install) a second pulley as far forward as possible, even all the way to the bow.

Attached are two pictures of my setup. Ive changed from the bow pulley to the one on the hardtop for ease of use and both work great 

IMG_0368.JPG.60c6a3090090cc2c6e98c1900db84c0b.png

post-144505-0-32998500-1390578913.png

Yeah the towline will probably get into those poles. If it gets under one on an outside turn and you don't realize it when you straighten out or turn back the town line could catch a

line guide on the pole and say goodbye to that pole.

As Mike mentioned above moving the pulley far forward will help. Forward and high is best. 

Not sure if the direction the poles are pointing is best either but its tough tell at that angle.

I really appreciate the pics.  I will probly end up mounting the mast’s on the bow and take the reels and mount them on the handrail.  Last thing i want to deal with is rods tangled on the planer line and chancing a copper setup goin over board.  Thanks for the imput guys

Ideally, the holders mounted horizontally would be used for running your inline boards.  The way you have them set up on the rail is perfect.  Additionally, running big boards with a tow-line, you would ideally have your holders in a vertical orientation on your gunwale well clear of your towline for the reasons mentioned above.