Weighted steel. Yay or nay

NymphO

I run 200 feet of weighted steel with 300 feet of 19 strand backed by another 600 feet of braid. Clip the 19 strand to a Scotty release as the inside rod running big boards. 19 strand sags a lot more but as long as it's out of the water it gets far enough that I've never had a tangle with a diver.. The stuff works and I've never had a birds nest I couldn't fix in 2 minutes or less. 19 strand holds in the clip just fine. I have two rods set up this way and before July they out fished everything else on the boat 2:1. Fwiw

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

I’m rigging up one on a roller rod.  I have a different scenario only fishing Ontario in Spring then moving to Erie. I’ll soley use this as a shoot rod. The versatility is what I need. No reason to have several copper setups for the time I spend on Ontario. Also be nice on Erie when them eyes go deep. A few years ago a 300 copper with a worm took multiple big fish in a tournament. 

On 2/25/2019 at 9:10 AM, NymphO said:

So after reading through the "rubber band / planer board thread" I got to thinking. I have wanted to give the WS a try this year. I have 2 Coldwater high speeds ready to be spooled with WS but now I'm rethinking, so I'll ask for the consensus of those that have the experience.

The reasons I was considering:

Having the equivalent of a 0-whatever copper all on one reel

Clipping off 19 strand to achieve a "per foot" depth vs 200,300,400

Much smoother / less problem line

Ability to use on both king's and eyes

Gents, I really thought this was going to be a nice addition to the spread but the comments on the other thread are making me question things. I spoke with the owner at torpedo who was more than willing to explain everything and my main question was how to terminate on an inline board. His answer was use an offshore board, rubber band (16#) on front and a red OR for the back.

Is there really no benefit to the WS / 19 strand combo ?

If I did this should I splice in mono lengths every 50' or so, even though that will really lower overall strength of the setup ?

I haven't bought the line yet, so I'm just seeing if I should just do copper or give the WS a try.

TIA

Why didn't you post this info in my thread? People acted like I was trying to invent a totally new way of fishing lol. That's basically the exact info I was looking for. The only real question left is does the steel+wire setups reach the same depths as an equal amount of copper? Well that's why I kept my fishawk TD after I bought an X4D, looks like I'll be doing some experimenting this spring.

Edited by FishingFool34

I rigged a 200’ and a 225’ weighted steel to fill in the gap past an eight color. I won’t fish any junk line longer than an eight color. I can report out this spring on how it is working out. Braid backing for me. 

Fishing Fool - Don't get too whigged out about the comments as folks (including myself) are used to doing things in a certain way and when they have good results they stick with the method. You are doing something that is relatively uncommon so that gives rise to all sorts of "cautionary" feedback. Does that mean you shouldn't try it to satisfy your curiosity N0! Using the TD to get an estimate of how deep you are getting is also a good idea. Good luck with the experiment and it will be interesting to hear how you make out:smile:

I have two 200' weighted steel setups backed with 19 strand. One of the setups I spliced in a 5' section of 40lb mono in between the steel and 19 strand so that I could clip on an inline board. The other setup is the same minus the mono section which I run down the chute . Both work well and both catch fish. I primarily fish on Erie for eyes and the chute rod works great when the eyes are deep. 2 years ago I ran that chute rod out 450ft on the line counter and was picking up eyes that were down around 70ft. I had my riggers, dipseys and chute rod all in the same zone and they were all firing so I am assuming the steel was at or near the same depth of everything else.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 hours ago, FishingFool34 said:

Why didn't you post this info in my thread? People acted like I was trying to invent a totally new way of fishing lol. That's basically the exact info I was looking for. The only real question left is does the steel+wire setups reach the same depths as an equal amount of copper? Well that's why I kept my fishawk TD after I bought an X4D, looks like I'll be doing some experimenting this spring.

I dont think he wanted to hijack your thread. Weighted steel is advertised that way but there is no evidence that proves it to be true. Guys that I have spoke to say no way it has the same dive curve as 45# copper and that its dive curve is similar to 32# copper.

I always hear the words "copper replacement" but in reality its something different, like leadcore. They are all sinking line presentations but each is very different.

• Like 2

id really like the results of that test. my copper have 1 more year left in them and id just as soon replace with weighted steel.
I'm going to try a FH td on one. Not that will likely change my use of it. Seems to work really well early season. Which makes sense even if it isn't achieving a lot of depth.. Just another tool in the box.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:47 PM, Legacy said:

Who in their right mind would ever do that?

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hold on, wait just a minute ... WHO said anything about a person being in the right mind. We are all mad aren't we? LOL.

I don't know, I'm bored ... I 'm not going to do that, but I'd imagine if someone has enough time on their hands, would be interesting if you could get that extra 30' out of a MAG diver.

It's basically biased videos (done by owner of torpedo) but there is a video of a test vs copper and at 200' they are at the same depth. Video lacks speed detail

Also another video where owner of torpedo says 40' with 200, 60' with 200+200braid, and 80' with 200/200 19 strand. Also, no speed given.

Alright. I'm going against the grain...into the waves, and doing the steel. Now to decide backer.... Prob just do a 2+300 with 50# braid as it will still allow deeper depth with more line out. I don't want anything more than 500 behind the boat anyways and I think it will be a great combo for early king's and walleyes when they go deep. I'm a rookie to the game so if this will allow me a different presentation and be easier to work with I think it's worth a shot.

To me, it's got to dive at least 40 which is a good depth early and the 300 will/should go 60. If I can get a few feet more or less, both those depths have there moments in the season for both chrome and yellows. It's worth a shot.

If it flops, we can all point to me to give my opinion as it's inevitable that there will be plenty more to ask this same question. What do you suppose everybody said when copper came out ?

Maybe I can scoop up Michigan stinger from billy saiff AND torpedo for a sponsor after this season....lol. One can dream.

Stay tuned.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the production. There's days where it doesn't hit. But there's days where it will shine. Your first birds nest you'll laugh at how easy it is to free up

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the production. There's days where it doesn't hit. But there's days where it will shine. Your first birds nest you'll laugh at how easy it is to free up

We shall see. I'll be sure to make it the first wet line this year. After browns, of course.

• 2 weeks later...
I have two 200' weighted steel setups backed with 19 strand. One of the setups I spliced in a 5' section of 40lb mono in between the steel and 19 strand so that I could clip on an inline board. The other setup is the same minus the mono section which I run down the chute . Both work well and both catch fish. I primarily fish on Erie for eyes and the chute rod works great when the eyes are deep. 2 years ago I ran that chute rod out 450ft on the line counter and was picking up eyes that were down around 70ft. I had my riggers, dipseys and chute rod all in the same zone and they were all firing so I am assuming the steel was at or near the same depth of everything else.

Interesting. But why use 19 strand wire as a backer, since the only line actually in the water is the weighted steel? In other words the wire line is not giving you more depth ability since it is only played out between the reel and the inline board. Just wondering why you use wire instead of braid. Thanks. I may do this but wondering about the purpose of using expensive wire backer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The rod with the splice of mono is only so I can use it on an inline. Its backed with 19 strand so that I can run it as a chute rod if I choose to and also serves as a backup to the other rod without the splice. If it was only going to be used on a board I would have used a braid backer.

• Like 1

One time while fishing the Niagara Bar dropoff where the bottom goes from 55 foot to over 200 foot, I played with my X16 paper graph. It showed good fish down to 100 foot and no fish deeper. Changing the frequency and pulse length showed a greater amount of fish from 100 to 200 foot down which we believed was devoid of fish. The problem is our Sonar machines are set up for popular fishing depths. Lake Ontario’s depths of 600 foot are under fished because our Sonar units are not set up for greater depths. With crystal clear water and bright blue bird skies the salmon and trout move to these greater depths to avoid the sun’s penetrating rays.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The rod with the splice of mono is only so I can use it on an inline. Its backed with 19 strand so that I can run it as a chute rod if I choose to and also serves as a backup to the other rod without the splice. If it was only going to be used on a board I would have used a braid backer.

Ok thanks for the clarification

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 year later...
On 2/26/2019 at 4:25 PM, sjhags said:

I run 200 feet of weighted steel with 300 feet of 19 strand backed by another 600 feet of braid. Clip the 19 strand to a Scotty release as the inside rod running big boards. 19 strand sags a lot more but as long as it's out of the water it gets far enough that I've never had a tangle with a diver.. The stuff works and I've never had a birds nest I couldn't fix in 2 minutes or less. 19 strand holds in the clip just fine. I have two rods set up this way and before July they out fished everything else on the boat 2:1. Fwiw

I thinking about running something similar on Ninja planer boards.  What knots do you use for the wire to steel and wire to braid?  How many trips and is the 19 strand still holding up?  1000’ of wire plus 200’ of WS should fit perfectly on my saltist 50’s so I might just skip the braid.  Thanks 

Edited by Dschaffer