Loaded questuon...

Bswitzer

Considering the OP, said he isn't going to shoot past 300 yards, won't even try it.  "Flat shooting" rifles don't even have to be considered.  Hell, why not just go with 30-30?  i mean it's only been around since the 1800s, killed as many if not more critters than a 06, with much less recoil.  It's nowhere near as sexy as the newer offerings, but there is minimal recoil, good to over 300 yards (doesn't matter in this case), ammo is cheap and everywhere.  And for shìts and gigs, it's fun and feels kind of traditional deer hunting with a Marlin 336 lever.

Edited by orangediablo

I am surprised how many people worry about the recoil. Do you really feel it in the excitement of/when shooting an animal?  I don't  think I ever notice it even when shooting a 12 ga pump.  I will notice it when sighting in after 6-8 shots. jmo

Ever need a quick follow up shot on a heavy recoiling rifle?  Or try to see what you just took a shot at out of a lightweight 300 WM at 600 yards?  Compare that to a rifle with little recoil.  IMO, keeping your site picture after the shot is just as important as before taking the shot.  Just trying to add another thing to consider when choosing a rifle/caliber for the specific purpose.

Even if you want to shoot well beyond 300 you have to play the trajectory no matter what caliber you use. No rifle is on at more than 2 specific distances...one on the way up and another on the way down. Speed/flat are not a reason to select a caliber.

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Recoil is a huge factor if you intend to practice much or want to see the bullet impact. Nearly everyone is affected sub consciously by anticipated recoil. You may not feel the recoil shooting at game, but your mind knows what is coming! Practicing with good ear protection helps fight this, but recoil affects shooting ablility. Does this matter much unless you are shooting at longer ranges...not in most cases on deer sized game and up.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Recoil is a huge factor if you intend to practice much or want to see the bullet impact. Nearly everyone is affected sub consciously by anticipated recoil. You may not feel the recoil shooting at game, but your mind knows what is coming! Practicing with good ear protection helps fight this, but recoil affects shooting ablility. Does this matter much unless you are shooting at longer ranges...not in most cases on deer sized game and up.

I've used 3006 for years but like Tracy said you can ruin alot of meat. I went down to 140 grain tripleshock handloads and solved that problem. My wife uses 243 and that works great.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A whole lot of things here that are valid considerations but probably the most important is how the particular weapon feels in your hands as is important in selecting handguns. The other issues mentioned can be whittled down to your purpose but using an uncomfortable firearm affects everything from satisfaction to accuracy and should be a main consideration regardless of caliber or model selection or ballistics.

• Like 1

A whole lot of things here that are valid considerations but probably the most important is how the particular weapon feels in your hands as is important in selecting handguns. The other issues mentioned can be whittled down to your purpose but using an uncomfortable firearm affects everything from satisfaction to accuracy and should be a main consideration regardless of caliber or model selection or ballistics.
Amen

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

308 or 7mm- 08. I shoot 7-08 for whitetails. Love the extremely low recoil. And it shoots pretty flat out to 300 yards. You don’t need a cannon to harvest a deer. Accuracy is king. Get a decent rifle and good optics. I like nikkon. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 1 year later...

For deer, if you want a short bolt action, .243. very little recoil and deadly. My 10 year old nephew got 3 deer last year, with a single shot 243. I've killed dozens with mine. If you want a long action bolt, or plan to go out west, get .270, or a .280. I have a 280 and it's a tremendous cartridge. If want a lever action, get a 30/30 in a Marlin, but lever guns are expensive now. If you want a pump they are available in a variety of calibers. Bullet selection is important no matter what, but today there are many good bullets in most calibers.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i'm getting in this game a little late but here goes. i used a friends 3006 for hog hunting and never even felt the kick. but if its a problem for you the 270 would be my choice. the 308's that i've shot including the m-14 in the marine corps seems to kick more to me then the 06. i love the way they shoot though.

30-06. You can drop down to a light bullet for groundhog and coyote. Jump up to 165 to 180 grain for deer, or all the way to 220 grain for black bear. Great all around gun. It was the first riffle I bought and I still use that gun. I've shot all of the above with it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Misdirection said:

30-06. You can drop down to a light bullet for groundhog and coyote. Jump up to 165 to 180 grain for deer, or all the way to 220 grain for black bear. Great all around gun. It was the first riffle I bought and I still use that gun. I've shot all of the above with it.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

i love the 06 i used on wild hogs. one good shot 1" behind the ear and they go down and stay down. if i was buying for me it would be a 06. but i could see a small framed person going to the 270 if he was never going to hunt anything larger than deer.

6 hours ago, sherman brown said:

i love the 06 i used on wild hogs. one good shot 1" behind the ear and they go down and stay down. if i was buying for me it would be a 06. but i could see a small framed person going to the 270 if he was never going to hunt anything larger than deer.

Jack O'Connor is turning over in his grave

Lot of different opinions ; consider a 270 as a # 1 chose ! A 30:06 is a big gun but has been posted with the proper ammunition will work just fine ! Bottom line [ unless you hand load ] do not get any gun that you cannot get ammunition for when you need it ! Eg. I was given a 257 Roberts Remington 7600 pump ; very little ammunition available ! We hand loaded 88 gr Hornady V Max but never got to use it on coyotes !

3 hours ago, tuffishooker said:

Lot of different opinions ; consider a 270 as a # 1 chose ! A 30:06 is a big gun but has been posted with the proper ammunition will work just fine ! Bottom line [ unless you hand load ] do not get any gun that you cannot get ammunition for when you need it ! Eg. I was given a 257 Roberts Remington 7600 pump ; very little ammunition available ! We hand loaded 88 gr Hornady V Max but never got to use it on coyotes !

the .270 and 30-06 are the same case with a ton of overlap. An animal won’t know the difference. Typically ammo availability is good for both and you can hunt bigger game as well. Felt recoil comes down to fit much of the time, find a gun theater fits and recoil is typically not an issue.