Cant Catch a Fish On Dipsey

JeffM

From a depth perspective I usually will run a mag and standard at 250 feet into shore until they hit bottom. If the mag hits bottom in 80 feet of water then I’ll run 300 to get it down 100. I think people are too concerned if they are running at 80 or 85 feet. My 2 cents are it doesn’t need to be that specific.

1 hour ago, Gill-T said:

Emptystringer, they are equivalent to within a few feet. Mag vs mag and standard vs standard. 

For the Luhr Jensen to be equivalent to the deep diver it has to have the O ring on it correct?

For those who have used both, any significant difference with how the plane on reel in?  

4 hours ago, emtystringer said:

SK8MAN,do you think the Deeper Divers will go as deep as the LUHR JENSEN MAGS

I have hit bottom in 155 ft of water before with wire out about 300 at about 2 mph so they go deep enough for the type of fishing I do. They are about 2:1 line out to depth at that speed on the deepest setting (0-1). That was on Keuka. The actual depth will vary considerably due to underwater current however so on Lake O or Seneca things can be quite different and that is another reason to view diver charts with.caution.

Edited by Sk8man

Les, keep in mind those finger lakes have steep contour lines that while your boat is over 150’, the lateral planing of the dipsy could be over 115’. I found the blood run tackle dive chart done with the fishhawk probe to be accurate. Again, minor variance with currents, speed and baits being dragged. 

I guess what I was alluding to is that water current can be similar to the concept of wind current as it has differential speed, direction and the ability to climb up and down vertically, or go horizontally. When water current encounters barriers, obstacles, steep changes in land contours (e.g. land points that actually reach out away from shore under the water), the current responds to it. Water temperatures change the current as well and it may rise vertically or disperse horizontally (e.g. the thermoclne). There can be great differences in the way fishing lines (of various types) with various lures respond to current going with, across, or against it. Despite the fact that Lake Ontario has much area that resembles a basin there are very strong currents running in it the origin of which may be different than those of many of the Finger Lakes (e.g. the flow from the Niagara and the outflow from the St.Lawrence as examples). If you are running a spoon or stickbait the current effects on their position within the water column of any of these lakes can be quite different than something trailed behind a dipsy with an attractor. Most of the dipsy charts I have seen do not detail clearly or exactly what conditions the data came from and even so different boat hull design and size/weight may cause differences. Many folks seem to take the charts as "gospel" and I was suggesting that that they should be considered as "estimates" at best as you don't know how your particular set of conditions compares with those of the chart data. ( I guess that is the long answer to the question):lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I have read tons of posts on this site about strong currents on Lake Ontario.  Is that true for much of the South shore or primarily the Niagara inflow and St Lawrence outflow.

How does the Niagara inflow move, right out to the center of the lake or swirl up to the North or down along the South shore.  I'm guessing the Genesee creates a significant plume depending on the weather and time of year.  Are there others, (especially from Rochester East as when I have completed Cayuga Lake 101 I'll be 

giving the Big Lake a try and head straight North from home to launch around Wolcott, 😉)

I'm not a hydrologist so I'm not sure of the exact dynamics of the lake flow but surely both areas are factors. The wind direction and velocity and duration are probably the most important factors on the lake though and it generates all sorts of underwater current effects some of which can be very intense.

I fish out of Hughes a lot and there are defiantly strong currents there at times there is a website that has surface currents on it also does a time lapse animation of them it is amazing how much they swirl and change the down currents do the same thing often in different directions

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

had a chance to find the link

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.php?lake=o&ext=sfcur&type=N&hr=39

interesting to see it as it is in the winter noticeably different than in the summer but could be due to wind or ice or other.still an excellent example of how there can be strong currents throughout the entire lake  

On 3/3/2019 at 9:55 AM, Sk8man said:

:smile: Not meant as a criticism either.....but having been there in the past :lol:

Last year that same theory cost me the biggest Lakers I ever saw. I took a chance!! Columbus did and that my friend is when all hell broke loose at the swim platform.😱😱

3 hours ago, ifishy said:

had a chance to find the link

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.php?lake=o&ext=sfcur&type=N&hr=39

interesting to see it as it is in the winter noticeably different than in the summer but could be due to wind or ice or other.still an excellent example of how there can be strong currents throughout the entire lake  

That is interesting stuff, thanks for sharing the link.  Would love to look at the animated map a couple weeks ago with those big winds!

On 2/26/2019 at 10:29 AM, drag&snag1985 said:

Try running something besides a spoon to to see . I usaully run wire to dipsey 7 ft 50 lb fluro to paddle and fly and Make sure your reel is match with your line counter try running 2.8 -3.0 they usually want spoons fast . I have caught a lot of fish on chinook divers 7 ft leader with a spoon basically same set up as u

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Can you send me a link of the wire you use for main line please [email protected]