Anyone do an OBX charter?

We are doing an Outer Banks vacation in June...of course an offshore charter is on our to do list. We’re looking for recommendations (or who to avoid) for a deep sea/offshore charter out of Oregon Inlet (near Nags Head).

Anyone here charter out of OBX? Who did you use and was it good or bad experience?

A few we’re considering are Wild Card, Dog House (from Wicked Tuna), Little Shell (also from Wicked Tuna), Escape, Hitman. Looking to get opinions from folks here who have fished OBX. Thanks. Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Mark,

June can be a great time. All the guys you mentioned are good boats. There is another boat out of Pirates cove called the Country Girl that always seems to put there clients on fish as well. We went with them a few years back and had a good time on YFT's. If you are looking for quality trip and save $600 to $900, you may want to think about heading south to Hatteras Village. We have chartered out of there may times in years past. Teach's Lair Marina & Hatteras Harbor all have great charter boats. We went with Runaway( Jay Daniels) out of Teach's and always caught fish and had a ball.The full day costs down there run anywhere from $1400 to $1600 per day(cash). They are much closer to the Gulf Stream so the runs are much shorter. That  saves on cost of the trip and you get more fishing time. Downside is you would have to get up earlier to get there from Nags Head ( approx 50 miles to Teach's) But the savings could be well worth it. The dolphin fishing will still be good at the beginning of June, along with some Yellowfin, blackfin and a wahoo. There will be Sailfish around as well, and if you fish deeper, Blue marlin as too. Not sure about  what the northern boats (Pirate's cove & Oregon inlet) do, but the Hatteras boats will bottom fish for Triggerfish, Black Sea Bass, Beeliners (Vermillion snapper) & Amberjack if the troll bite is slow. We have a place in Hatteras Village and fish out of there a ton. We have our own boats there now. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have, good luck! 

We will staying in Corolla, so Oregon Inlet is ~an hour already, that’s why we were thinking there rather than going to Hatteras. (I think oregan inlet is the closest fishing marina to Corolla, which is about as far north as you can get.) I’ll look up info on Country Girl. Some of these charters will deep water bottom fish for tilefish, which we were considering in case trolling was bad, but on the other hand we don’t want to lose time tuna /mahi fishing... have you fished on wild card or doghouse? Wildcard will bottom fish, but doghouse is in wicked tuna TV show, but more expensive-name recognition or is he actually better?? That’s what we’re trying to decide.

ETA---Country Girl is booked when we'll be there....

Edited by markmonkey1

Gotcha, definitely a little bit of ride from Corolla. Go thru the archives of Pirates cove fishing reports.  You'll get a good idea whose names keep consistently popping up. Probably just as close to Manteo as Oregon inlet fishing center. Still should be some Cobia around inshore for a half  day trip too. Good luck!

We fished outta Oregon Outlet in August of 2017. We also stayed in Corolla. Oregon definitely is your only option.

We took two trips. Fishing Frenzy was one and another booked thru Corolla Bait. Amberjack,marlin,, sails and wahoo were caught.

Search Outer Banks NC above for my post with pics. Tried to post the link but not smart enough. :happy2:

Any questions just PM me.

Looked at Fishin Frenzy first once we had our date set. They were already filled! I couldn’t find your pics when I searched... (fr phone, I’ll try on computer later)
Did you surf fish at Corolla at all! Crab? This is our first time in Corolla, what other family activity do you recommend? We’ll looking at 4x4 rental place... looking for other things.
For our charter, we just booked with Doghouse. He does the Wicked Tuna show also, I think....

Mark,

I've been fishing out of Oregon Inlet every year for the past 8 years.  Biopsea, Pointrunner, Trophy Hunter, Tuna Fever I believe are the best boats down there.  Last year we booked out of Hatteras to save some money and got blown off due to weather.  We finally found a boat in Pirates Cove that was decent but the run is an extra half hour each way.  Pirates Cove has a great restaurant and raw bar!!  If you can get on one of these boats you won't be disappointed.  A-Salt-Weapon out of Pirates Cove is a really nice boat also.

John