Dating line

I don’t know of a standard date code.  With mono I write year of purchase on spool.  I also try to buy line where it is sold in quantity so hopefully inventory is “fresh”.   Store in tote in cool dry place.  If in doubt throw old mono out (or recycle).

I was hoping for a thread with contacts for Hot Old Broads with a Boat.  (HOBBs)

Seriously,

I do not think there is a born on date on the stuff.  I have seen unpopular line on the peg board for several years.  I have taken to buying line from high volume on-line sellers, hoping there is no old stock there.  Sea flee is a good choice, they are sold out every year.

The most important thing is how it has been stored. Heat and light are lines biggest enemies. I have bulk spools that are years old and as good as the day i got them. They stay in freezer except when filling reels. Keeps till gone

13 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

This sounded bad....lol

Silverfoxcharters.net

If thats how you want to interpret that then don't yank it until it breaks. You will hurt yourself. lol

Edited by spoonfed-1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Ready or Knot said:

The most important thing is how it has been stored. Heat and light are lines biggest enemies. I have bulk spools that are years old and as good as the day i got them. They stay in freezer except when filling reels. Keeps till gone

x2 as far as storage details making the difference. If kept in a place that is cool and free of direct sunlight mono can last for years despite all the OCD stuff done by many folks such as changing  all their line every season. If the rods are stored on the boat  all bets are off. It makes sense for charter folks toi change more frequently than the occasional use fisherman etc. but for normal use just  cutting off a few feet if any abrasions are felt works fine. A ot of the fears about weakened line just relating to age itself are unfounded. It is the life history of storage that is important. If the line bulk spool or not was sitting in the store window prior to sale you can be screwed anyway even if it was only there for weeks during the summer.