When do you guys start trolling for kings?

tjozz

We fish out of oswego and have found kings early in the year, usually in deeper water. Not in great numbers though. There are days that you can find them and the next day they're gone. We did good on kings this spring, the weekend of April 19?? i beleive in 30 fow in front of the state park in fair haven. kings on the east end early in the year are inconsistant. if you want to have fun take your boat to the western end of the lake like the others said.

I usually start looking for Kings in June out of Mexico Bay out in deep water and it's more like July before we start connecting with mature fish with any consistency. April and May are spent Brown fishing which is usually good. As someone mentioned you can find Salmon out deep which are generally smaller fish but every so often you can run into some mature fish as well. Steelhead fishing has been on an upswing the last couple years in the east end as well. Every so often we tie into a Salmon while Brown fishing in the spring but thats pretty rare. As far as fishing now you can find some good Brown and Steelhead fishing in November but the weather usually sucks, cold and windy as hell. If you go now keep safety first. Count on being the only one out there and help is not easy to come by should something happen.

Enjoy the boat.

Glen

Thanks for the info.

Definitly wont be coming up any more this year. Finances being what they are. but i am looking to fish the lake more this coming year. thats why i was wondering whaen things heated up. I am also not just limiting myself to kings so any early season tips and advice for othe species is definitly welcome :D

Thanks again

Tom

Gill T is right, the king fishing is terrible on the western end in the spring.It's best to stay as far away as possible,the further east you go in the spring,the better off you are.Plus there are no boat launches,no boat repair shops,no places to stay,no restuarants,and lots of awful people,on the western end.Don't go there in the spring.In fact,it's best just to stay completely away from the western end of the lake,at all times of the year.

I think it's against the law to fish on the western end,so it's not even worth the trip.

Gill-T and Big easy...

sounds like a little sarcasm to me. :D

Now ive come to learn that whenever a Fishemen tells you Dont go over there, there arent any fish there. THat usually thanslates to ... Boy thats my favorite spot. gotta keep everyone away..... :lol:

Any way thanks for the help

Yup we're joking .The spring king fishing is usually great from the Niagara bar,and east to Wilson,and Olcott in the spring.This past May was absolutely terrific for us king fishing off Wilson,and Olcott.

We had one week when all the rods were firing,with all nice kings.It didn't seem to matter,the riggers,wire dipsies,and leadcore were all hot.Most of the kings were in the high teens to mid twenties.Our biggest was 26 lbs.

We figured,hell this is going to be a great year if the fish are this big and this plentiful already,well,the rest of the year sucked (for us anyway).all our summer and fall trips were lousy.We had a few good days,but most weren't great.

I don't know where all those spring fish went,but they didn't come my way.

Tjozz,

The guy's are right! The west is best in the spring, But if you're looking for Big Matures,head to Mexico the 2nd. week in August & sneek out to 150 ft of water.Drop a couple Cut Bait rigs where you see the Little Rascals plus some Flippers with Flies off the wires , Oh don't forget the Big ugly glow Mag spoons mixed in between. We had a short but very sucsessful Fall this past season on Big Fish. We also have nice People, Places & Things! Capt. Randy -- Hit or Miss Charters

I came up and fished Olcott during August but want to make a trip this coming spring of 09 planned on fishing out of Olcott...what is the typical water depth and program...my friends tell me stickbaits work very well, rip sticks, thundersticks, husky jerk's etc. Does anyone ever run the spin doc and fly combo's?

Thanks