News

The US Coast Guard fined the Chicago operator of two 34 foot boats $80,000 for illegal charter boat operation. $49,000 for certificate of inspection failure, $22,000 for crew chemical test failure and $14,000 for stability test failure.

Lake Ontario water level is now 16 inches higher than last season at this time.

So if I am reading this correctly the total fines were 165,000.  I know this happens on Erie , not so sure about Ontario as its a much smaller community of fishermen and boats.  A lot easier to pick out " thieves" because of that.  Rochester may be a different story. Nice to see they got caught  !

I read an article about a big crack down on illegal charter operation last summer.  They were saying it was coming.  These illegal charters are hurting the legit legal guys.  I have a feeling if they did this on Lake Ontario, they would shut down a couple guys not playing by the rules. 

• Like 1

Believe it runs $5,000 for unlicensed another $5,000 for drug testing even on UPV .  Additional if running a mate or more than 6 passengers.  Can add up to some pretty big numbers as some of these are per occurrence.  Would be an expensive lesson to get pinched.

13 hours ago, Ready or Knot said:

As i read this i gather that these must have been a head type charter and not the UPV type that most here are ? Anybody have more information on this ? 

Those are 10 meter long boats much like the Trojans that some charters use here, so I would say they are not head boats.

Correction: not like a Trojan at all. That was a very wrong presumption. They look like a floating deck.

Edited by rolmops