Atlantic Salmon

Last year we boated four and they were all in July.  2 came inshore fishing browns in 50-60' and two came offshore both 300'+.  All four were taken on spoons off of riggers.  All four were barely legal. 

We get them over here in Vermont on champlain. They are interesting as they seem to the very willing to be WAY out of temperature if the bait is, especially early in the day. We caught one last year15ft behind the boat while clipping into the down rigger right on the surface at like 11am in july with surface water at 73deg, and there preferred 54 degrees down 60ft, sent a flat line out and got another one a few minutes later

Couple years ago I was lucky to get a nice hen, 13.5#, on a slide diver/spoon fishing with buddy Matt French.  Fish was such a beautiful trophy that I decided to get it mounted.  The very next weekend while fishing with my other buddy Eric, caught a male, 14.5#, on a 7 core down the chute on a spoon and decided to get a mount done on the pair.

IMG_2035.jpg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, tlombardozzi said:

Couple years ago I was lucky to get a nice hen, 13.5#, on a slide diver/spoon fishing with buddy Matt French.  Fish was such a beautiful trophy that I decided to get it mounted.  The very next weekend while fishing with my other buddy Eric, caught a male, 14.5#, on a 7 core down the chute on a spoon and decided to get a mount done on the pair.

IMG_2035.jpg

Who did the mounts for you Tommy?

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 5:57 PM, Songdog said:

Southern Lake Huron is full of them, See Lexington Harbor or " North Channel" lk st.clair. we catch them about 10 months a year.

What is a good starting point to go out of on Huron

Port Huron, Lexington Harbor, Port Sanilac. These would be "open lake" trolling harbors.

In the North Channel (lk. st.clair) "Deckers Landing"  would be "river trolling".

We are using small body baits and small brightly colored spoons (mini streaks and small warrior spoons) and body baits would be in the 2" range.

Also small terminal tackle and lightweight flouro leaders ( 8-10 or 12#) presented on planar boards fished  generally in the top 1/3 of the water column. Our atlantics will come out of temp often. Now, we also have a good steelhead fishery which occupies the same space in the water it is possible to hook up a good steelhead on this light weight tackle--- just be aware.

For additional details try " Andersons Pro-Bait" in Port Huron for more tips. They have recently hosted a seminar specifically on Southern Huron Atlantics. you tube "fish church".

Atlantic are also routinely caught through the ice in Lexington Harbor and          Port Sanilac to a slightly lesser frequency.  

The up coming Fishing-411 episode was filmed in Port Huron FYE.

9 hours ago, Songdog said:

Port Huron, Lexington Harbor, Port Sanilac. These would be "open lake" trolling harbors.

In the North Channel (lk. st.clair) "Deckers Landing"  would be "river trolling".

We are using small body baits and small brightly colored spoons (mini streaks and small warrior spoons) and body baits would be in the 2" range.

Also small terminal tackle and lightweight flouro leaders ( 8-10 or 12#) presented on planar boards fished  generally in the top 1/3 of the water column. Our atlantics will come out of temp often. Now, we also have a good steelhead fishery which occupies the same space in the water it is possible to hook up a good steelhead on this light weight tackle--- just be aware.

For additional details try " Andersons Pro-Bait" in Port Huron for more tips. They have recently hosted a seminar specifically on Southern Huron Atlantics. you tube "fish church".

Atlantic are also routinely caught through the ice in Lexington Harbor and          Port Sanilac to a slightly lesser frequency.  

The up coming Fishing-411 episode was filmed in Port Huron FYE.

Thanks very much Songdog may have to take a trip up that way

On 3/5/2019 at 3:51 PM, tlombardozzi said:

Phil Hershey, Custom Taxidermy 

Phil did my work a few years ago does a good job not sure if he does it anymore

Edited by Roys Boys

18 minutes ago, Roys Boys said:

Phil did my work a few years ago does a good job not sure if he does it anymore

He does everything that I have done, great guy.  He just got done on my bear a couple months ago.

10 hours ago, Songdog said:

For your viewing pleasure, A couple Fine Atlantics- a Lake Huron/St. Clair River Sturgeon and a Grizzly Bear I found in Yellowstone NP. just for fun.

FB_IMG_1552051808963.jpg

FB_IMG_1552051841991.jpg

FB_IMG_1552051929033.jpg

FB_IMG_1552051976232.jpg

I am sure coming up too fish for them what are you allowed to keep