Another Autopilot question

I just purchased a 21' Dixie walkaround that needed the engine replaced.  Got a brand new 4.3 to take care of that and will have a Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 kicker.   I also just picked up a  Lowrance Elite 9 ti from cabelas.   I've been thinking of going with the Garmin TR1 gold for autopilot but is there other options now that I have the Lowrance?  I don't want to have to hook the big motor to the kicker if I don't have to which is why I liked the TR1 but I've read that the TR1 can't keep up to waves over 1' according to some members on this site.  I find that hard to believe out of a $2000 auto pilot.

I just purchased a 21' Dixie walkaround that needed the engine replaced.  Got a brand new 4.3 to take care of that and will have a Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 kicker.   I also just picked up a  Lowrance Elite 9 ti from cabelas.   I've been thinking of going with the Garmin TR1 gold for autopilot but is there other options now that I have the Lowrance?  I don't want to have to hook the big motor to the kicker if I don't have to which is why I liked the TR1 but I've read that the TR1 can't keep up to waves over 1' according to some members on this site.  I find that hard to believe out of a $2000 auto pilot.
Do some youtube searches. Pretty sure i saw some videos of guys demonstrating the TR-1 in snottier than 1'. Keep in mind you have to manage your expectations and the wind and waves increase.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I understand.  I had an 18' lund pro v with a Minnkota powerdrive autopilot.  It would act all kinds of crazy in anything close to 3 footers.  I then had a Four winns Quest 267 with a Raymarine autopilot that worked perfect in conditions up to about 5 footers (anything more and I wouldn't fish).  Anyways, is the TR1 Gold going to work in 2-4 footers or go crazy on me?  What other options are you guys using and liking?

Edited by wicked walleye

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got the TR-1 my 22 ft Penn Yan Outrage. My kicker is Merc 9.9 pro kicker. Previous boat was 24 ft Lund Genmar sport cabin. Had a TR-1 on that boat too. That boat had a 9.9 Yamaha kicker. Speed and direction all in one remote. You can even program it to do S turns! If its getting to be 4-5 footers and were still out, were not going to be trolling into the waves. Trolling with waves not only helps the auto pilot, it catches more fish! We will yank all our gear and run back to the beginning of the area that was producing fish. Helps to save some waypts and trails. Anyhow, I think every AP has its limitations. We've been real happy with TR-1 for about 20 years now. 

Looks like I'm going to go with Garmin's new Reactor 40.  I talked to them and they said they discontinued the TR1 Gold and that this is a simpler system with no hydraulics and takes about 15 minutes to install.  About the same price.  I like the features that the electric motor would have given me especially cruise control and anchor lock but I'm scared that it won't perform as well on rougher days.  The anchor lock would have been nice to stop and spot check for perch without having to toss and retrieve your actual anchor but we 99% of the time fish for walleye so I'm thinking I should just stick to the Garmin.

I have a lowrance elite 9 ti that is nmea 2000 compatible.  I'm going to call and make sure myself. What does the screen they offer for an extra $300 do that the remote doesnt besides tell you what degree you're running at (270, 180, 280, 300, etc).  I couldn't care less about that. I would like it to communicate with my lowrance so I can tell it to follow different tracks or head toward different waypoints. 

3 hours ago, wicked walleye said:

I have a lowrance elite 9 ti that is nmea 2000 compatible.  I'm going to call and make sure myself. What does the screen they offer for an extra $300 do that the remote doesnt besides tell you what degree you're running at (270, 180, 280, 300, etc).  I couldn't care less about that. I would like it to communicate with my lowrance so I can tell it to follow different tracks or head toward different waypoints. 

Not sure on the Garmin unit but on my Raymarine the dedicated AP screen gives me input options that I can't get from the MFD screen. Such as 180° turn over a specified distance......¼ mile, ½ mile etc etc. I can program for automatic S turns, zig zags, figure 8's and a bunch of other patterns all over  various distances that are chosen.

We us the S turns and U turns almost every time out. The AP does it better than I can steer it. We still use the AP on one of the MFD screens for minor inputs such as slights turns  1° to 30° at a time. 

Edited by rookie fisherman

So I’m not entirely sure if lowrance has changed this or not but I’m thinking unless you have an HDS model you won’t be able to control your AP through the unit. The elites and hooks only have nema 2000 that will show data only but will not drive the route if you know what I mean. Maybe someone else can chime in or like you said contact lowrance for an update. Make sure you get a tech. The sales guy will tell you “sure it will”.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I asked the garmin tech and he said that as long as it has nema 2000 it will be able to drive the AP to waypoints and follow a route that I have on the lowrance.  It won't however be able to tell the AP to make u turns, s turns, Williamson turns, etc that are pre programmed onto the AP.