Reel Rigging Idea

New to this big water trolling (fish champ a lot, but have only done a charter on Ontario). I have been getting a bunch of terminal tackle for the big lake, but am now down to the rigging of reels. Over here we use Slide divers on 50lb Power pro, stealth presentation that can get down over 100ft if needed, the flaw is of course fleas, and buddies seem to not be able to understand how to set them with the right leads. So I am thinking of setting one up on wire line. I have 2 brand new Magda's, I am thinking of rigging wire, then a 50ft section of big game 30lb (currently I run a 50ft setback on the slide divers but with braid straight to the flouro leader (10lb on champ), which when I fish them is fine, but friends tend to break off a lot since there is no give at all). The big game would act as a snubber of sorts, but also make the setback much easier for my friends to understand. the diver would stay on that section of line with the diver right up against the wire.

Any thoughts on if this would work? I would use micro swivels for the wire to mono connection.

On my wire roller rods I use an improved Albright knot to connect wire to 80lb braid for the slide diver.  Do a “search” on the topic and you should find plenty of info.  With the 30lb wire I think braid is a better option to connect than mono.  If you wanted flea protection you could just use a short section of braid for wire connection then do a double uniknot to connect braid to mono for diver to slide on.  Bit of a learning curve in using/setting slide divers but once you get it down they work good.

I’ve been using lite bites for several years on Champlain, super comfortable with them. I was thinking the mono for it’s stretch, giving a little more forgiveness to those who may be apt to set the hook to hard. But your thought is wire to braid with the wire as the rod to diver section, and then the diver on the braid with a leader following ? I have my divers on broad right now so I know that works good

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

My go to setup for years:   30 lb.test, 7strand wire, to 30lb. test Big Game mono. Run the Slide Divers on the mono leader. 50 ft. leaders in the spring, 15-20 ft. as the fish get deeper. Connect line and wire with 50 lb. test  Spro Power Swivel. It's small enough to go through rod / reel guides.  Keep it simple.... 

Have the diver slide on braid or mono whichever you prefer.  For guys who do the “Babe Ruth” hookset, you might want to run a clear snubber before your leader.  Gets expensive when your rig gets busted off.

17 hours ago, KeithVT said:

New to this big water trolling (fish champ a lot, but have only done a charter on Ontario). I have been getting a bunch of terminal tackle for the big lake, but am now down to the rigging of reels. Over here we use Slide divers on 50lb Power pro, stealth presentation that can get down over 100ft if needed, the flaw is of course fleas, and buddies seem to not be able to understand how to set them with the right leads. So I am thinking of setting one up on wire line. I have 2 brand new Magda's, I am thinking of rigging wire, then a 50ft section of big game 30lb (currently I run a 50ft setback on the slide divers but with braid straight to the flouro leader (10lb on champ), which when I fish them is fine, but friends tend to break off a lot since there is no give at all). The big game would act as a snubber of sorts, but also make the setback much easier for my friends to understand. the diver would stay on that section of line with the diver right up against the wire.

Any thoughts on if this would work? I would use micro swivels for the wire to mono connection.

Yes this would work fine. 

11 hours ago, mr 580 said:

Have the diver slide on braid or mono whichever you prefer.  For guys who do the “Babe Ruth” hookset, you might want to run a clear snubber before your leader.  Gets expensive when your rig gets busted off.

Haha! I know that game. I have learned with the slide divers to grab the rod and reel without setting the hook, only took 2 breakoffs to learn that lesson, take up the slack and it will stick the fish, but my buddies who fish with me can't grasp that concept, or the idea that different rods require different hookset methods. Often they will grab the rod, and make such a strong hookset motion they almost fall over backwards. They know the rules though, when they break off they bought whatever setup they lost. With the expert knowledge here I am going to move forward with rigging in this way. I have never used wire line before, and there seems to be a lot of different kinds, can someone make it easy and tell me what brand wire I need to buy?

Several good choices - I’ve been running AFW Camo 7 strand.  The Camo is a brown finish-think it might be a bit more stealthy than a bright finish.  Key to using any wire is keeping tension on it at all times and watching for pig tails.