Planerboard Questions.

Mower

I think this is the last piece of the puzzle, I just purchased a big jon dual elec. motor planer mast. I will have it wired up as soon as deer season ends. But my question is what boards do you guys prefer and what releases are you running. I will run these boards shallow w/ stick baits in the spring then I'd like to try running core off them in the summer as another presentation type. Any thoughts would be great.

These are the best running and hardest pulling boards I've ever seen:

http://www.amishoutfitters.com/planer.htm

I've got the redwood boards and they pull MUCH MUCH better than my old plastic Wille doubles did.

Tim

p.s. also at Amish Outfitters, the clipper planer board releases are pretty slick as well

http://www.amishoutfitters.com/clipper.htm

Not affiliated in any way, just really like their stuff, very well made. I have 2 of their 28" Beefy Bag trolling bags as well and with both in the water it darn near takes my boat to a dead stop.

Stan. Unlike the inline planer boards like you probably use now, the big boards allow you to run release clips down the line that attatches to the big planer. When the fish is on it's released from the clip and you fight only the fish.It's basically the same principle but unlike the inline planers you dont reel the board in with the fish. I only run inlines, and don't have all that much experience with big boards, but I'm sure the other guys here can help you out better. I'm sure they would work for you.- Mick

I think this is the last piece of the puzzle, I just purchased a big jon dual elec. motor planer mast. I will have it wired up as soon as deer season ends. But my question is what boards do you guys prefer and what releases are you running. I will run these boards shallow w/ stick baits in the spring then I'd like to try running core off them in the summer as another presentation type. Any thoughts would be great.

I'll bet it's not the last piece of the puzzle! :lol: The puzzle you speak of is neverending, they always come up with something new or different that you gotta have to put more and bigger fish in the boat, at least that's what I tell the wife. ;)

Splitshot115

Bob, do you have any suggestions which hole to put the eyebolt in? Does this make a difference? Mine are in the middle and I haven't had time to try another hole. Andy

Hey Andy, It all depends what you are running off your releases & how much drag it's pulling. For sticks, I use the middle one and they seem to run OK, no diving. ;)

hey splitshot, I do the same. But get caught 8 out of 10 times. now I just say there gifts :D

Thanks for all the answers guys. But the one main question .WILL they be to big for the lakes out here. Some times my church walleye boards are to big. I have had 3 fast movers ( we call them ) bass boats, dam near hang themselfs. cutting between me and the shore line. If these are better , whats a good mast ? and how much do they run ?

Stan, I don't think they ( catamaran style boards) would be to big for your lake from what I have read in your prior posts. I believe though what you are facing is the prospect that people in your neck of the woods, are simply not use to seeing some of the devices now used to broaden ones trolling path. Boards being just one of them. There are several means that might draw a little attention to the board themselves. First you can put a Hi Vis tell tale flag, on each one. Also use a HI -Vis tether line from mast to boards. Third, if you use these. use a sliding clip, to hang some sort of indicator app half way down the line itself, if you feel the need. As far as costs, haven't bought one for a while but figure on $200.00 app. I liked the Big Jon's- I had one when I fished primarily Lake Erie. I made it so it was an actual telescoping mast. The height itself was over 7' let alone the height off the bow rail where I had it mounted. The higher you can obtain the mast, the greater width to your spread. In line boards are nice and have their place in this fishery. The catamaran boards do as well. They let you fight the fish unencumbered with board attachment. For what it is worth, I liked the collapsible boards, to take up less space. Hope this helps-Duane

no they are not too big. Not only will the be more visible than the inlines but you can also mount an extra flag on each one. with the mast style you can run them out as far or close to the boat as your want. I used to run inlines but on a small fish they are hard to read, not the problem now that I have the mast. I still have my inline as they have there purposes. I run a Big Jon planner mast and really like it. I bought the big Jon because it was a good deal. but I was going to get a riviera. also the riviera comes with a few different seat base options if you want to mount in from your seat base in the bow. for the mast alone figure $200-$300

Rock and Fish on Stan. I'm only speaking for myself , but I think we are all jealous of you to be able to troll for Kings, Browns, and Rainbows in a smaller boat , and wearing a T-Shirt at the end of November. - Have Fun for us.