Rigger rods

I exclusively fish the finger lakes.... for now. I was wondering what rods are best for downrigger rods. I have a few of the okuma glt, they just are very stiff. Any light weight rod that will load up better, and perhaps feel the fish on the end of the line? Thanks you!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On 3/6/2019 at 5:44 PM, Matt ching said:

I exclusively fish the finger lakes.... for now. I was wondering what rods are best for downrigger rods. I have a few of the okuma glt, they just are very stiff. Any light weight rod that will load up better, and perhaps feel the fish on the end of the line? Thanks you!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Check out Okuma Blue Diamond 8'6" downrigger rod model# bd-c-862mla. IMO they are a bit light for salmon fishing but I like them for everything else.

back quite a few years everyone had the yellow eagle claw rods , when I got four of them I was afraid they wouldn't last because they were really cheap to buy now its been 20 years and im still using them and there perfect for the finger lakes 

I run the diawa spinmatic rods with okuma 15 series line counters for l.l. salmon and lakers on the local lakes here in the Adirondacks and champlain where the fish are mostly under 10 lbs.they are ultra-light "noodle"rods.i use them for riggers and board rods.

• 1 month later...

I use 7' ugly stik gx2 medium power. They are 1 piece rods and I got them at Walmart. I have 6 of them set up with okuma line counter reels, 14lb test, and I use them for spring brown fishing, walleye, and finger lake fishing. They have enough back bone for inline boards but also load up nice as downrigger rods. Very versatile.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 1 month later...
back quite a few years everyone had the yellow eagle claw rods , when I got four of them I was afraid they wouldn't last because they were really cheap to buy now its been 20 years and im still using them and there perfect for the finger lakes 
I run nothing but eagle claw starfire rods. People say I am cheap and they are bottom end rod but haven't had a fish break them and they work great for everything from planer boards to down riggers. My boat has 10 on it at all times

Sent from my LGL82VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 3/7/2019 at 10:26 PM, youp50 said:

Try a 20 dollar cabelas whooping stick.  

I use the whooping stick for riggers and they work great for downriggersl. I was using the 9' med action for saltwater fishing. but they don't have it anymore. so I went with the 8' and couldn't be happier. when hooked to a nice redfish or black drum i've had them bend the rods down to the water. its rated for 4# to 20# line. but I was using 30# braid on them. I've not had one break even with what I put them through.

I had a couple of black beauty rods I got off ebay that were good rigger rods.

17 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

That's what I use and everyone that fishes with me loves them and they never snap. Have had them for over 30 years still. God I'm getting old

Silverfoxcharters.net

Well, at least you kept your hair!