Craziest non target species catch on lake O

1 minute ago, Pete Collin said:

I heard before that LO has cusk in it, but don't know anybody who has caught one.  Anybody ever get one, or are they on the bottom in 400 FOW?

Pete,

We get one or two a year in our intake at work.  A couple years ago, we had a spawning pair in the well a the pump station.  When I first started working here, I got a huge one in the screens that would have challenged the state record if it was caught on a rod and reel.  It went back in the lake. 

• Like 1

3 ft eel caught on a dodger squid when I had my 13 ft Whaler. Tried to get the hook out on the outside of the boat but he squirmed up over the side and got loose on the deck and I still had slime for weeks after left after cleaning the boat:lol:

• Like 1

After a buddy telling me the story of losing his favorite rig in the belhurst hole and being able to catch it the very next day and to see his smile when I gave it to him was somewhat cool. Not a fish but it was crazy like odds.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, finsntins said:

are cusk and burbot the same thing?i cant find the picture on my phone,i think the wife may have taken a picture with her phone,ill post it up if she has it.

yes sir

i caught a filleted rotting (weeks old) salmon carcass ironically in the mouth on a j-plug behind a dipsey trolling the pier heads once.

have also caught a 10lb sheeps head on a j-plug and a 8 lb catfish on a j-plug in front of and in the genny respectively both while fall fishing.  

We caught this beast trolling for walleye in 30 FOW outside of Chaumont Bay. It took a deep Bomber. IMG_20150706_102451667.thumb.jpeg.36e74a83d8f847e6ed9ded449e875a0e.jpeg

That’s awesome!
How many walleye would it take to pull like him?

Sorry OP this is not a Lake O but a Superior place to fish.

There are some spots with an eagle's nest in sight of the shoreline.  I always start trolling shallow, inside planers in 3 fow or so.  A fish that shallow is there to eat.  This particular day and nest was the first day the female was off the nest, only one limb above, but off.  The mate was a hundred yards away, sitting between a turkey vulture and the nest.  The vulrture was sitting with its wings cocked forward.  I expect he was thinking eaglet of the day.

I set my drags light enough to hold the in lines and the clicker is on.  We love hearing the reel sing on a hit.  I was fishing a larger jointed Rap, rainbow trout was the color.  I turned to the bow to instruct the pilot where to go and ask her what kind of sandwiches she had packed, and the reel screamed like I have never heard prior.  We had found a few absolute jumbo kings earlier, wife had a mid 20s, a real beast of a spring king in Superior.  I had lost another.  I knew we had another chance at one heading for some deeper water.  I turned expecting to see it clearing the surface.  Up there the kings in shallow come out like summer rainbows. 

And there was my inline 20 feet off the water and gaining elevation with every wing beat.    The fight was interesting, she would not let go.  After circling the boat, ever smaller, I was able to get a hand on her.  I always have heavy leather gloves on board, they are to rip as much tackle as possible from poorly marked Native gill nets, normally just the rigger ball.   They came in handy to keep my skin intact.  Still, the beak pinched plenty hard through the gloves and Carhart canvas, no blood though.  either one of us.   We were able to free her from the hook and turn her loose.  Between the screaming, the mate worrying us, the biting and the wing beats, I am pretty sure she thought we were going to eat her.  

Close to a six foot wingspan, Bird of a lifetime. 

Never took a pic, too much going on, not sure how many laws I was violating, and if questioned now, its just a tale.  Feds aren't my favorite people.   The few I met seem to have no sense of humor.

Edited by youp50
  • Like 1

That’s awesome!
How many walleye would it take to pull like him?

More like how many salmon...I get 1-2 big carp a year trolling and they are a better fight than salmon on walleye gear and even on musky gear they are as good as a salmon!

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

i caught a filleted rotting (weeks old) salmon carcass ironically in the mouth on a j-plug behind a dipsey trolling the pier heads once.

have also caught a 10lb sheeps head on a j-plug and a 8 lb catfish on a j-plug in front of and in the genny respectively both while fall fishing.  
Nope, that's just a typical staged king....prob fell apart on the reel in
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1