Thought our tribs saw alot of pressure.......

I thought it was pretty cool. I seen families with kids all with big smiles having fun. I did not see anybody arguing. they all seem to be able to bringing their fishing in with no problems.I like the burn barrels the state allows for them to get warm. I didn't see any tree huggers with sign saying families can have fun and take fish home to have a dinner. The guy narrating the video I thought did a good job and he said it was pretty much an opening day thing.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, NymphO said:
My favorite part of becoming a boat owner, was leaving that behind me. Can't believe there's no arguing / brawls. Give it a couple bad days of no fish..... Attitudes def change.

I used to trib fish a lot in my younger days. The crowds were annoying due to the fact that most were snaggers. I got annoyed with the constant disregard for the fishery. I spent many hours waiting for the DEC to arrive and then not show up. It really is a shame that we have a world class fishery in our back yard and the DEC does not care at all about it once deer season and duck season start.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by GAMBLER

Unfortunately , all those crowds are good for the fishery . Every out of state licence or dollar spent at a tackle shop, restaurant ,motel,etc means sales and state income and licence taxes and fees  . And that's why our governor continues to fund the program . Also why DEC writes tickets and local judges have a hard  time convicting . They don't want to chase away paying customers . 

Unfortunately , all those crowds are good for the fishery . Every out of state licence or dollar spent at a tackle shop, restaurant ,motel,etc means sales and state income and licence taxes and fees  . And that's why our governor continues to fund the program . Also why DEC writes tickets and local judges have a hard  time convicting . They don't want to chase away paying customers . 

If they have a license, if the judges doesn’t throw away the tickets and they do not harm the fishery by taking more than their limit. There are not nearly enough ECO’s to cover the tribs. They want to promote the tribs but they do not want to do anything to keep the fishery from getting rapped by snaggers. Until they can get the shenanigans under control, promoting the tribs is only going to be bad for the tribs.

This is similar to Red Salmon fishing on the Kenai and Russian rivers in Alaska. Combat fishing at its finest. The catch does not hurt    the reproduction but improves things as an over escapement of salmon results in a poor production of healthy returns.

The salmon and trout taken here are non native species that need to be regulated since their numbers result in poor forage results for future years,

16 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Excuse me, I am a guide and this is me and my clients spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

" We got here three hours before it was legal to be here, and left for lunch at the Altmar, but now that we have finished our 6 beers and an order of fries, we are back and it is our spot because we were here first." 

Edited by Lucky13
  • Like 1

Promotion of the fishery can be something as simple as the signs that went up on the Salmon River a couple of years ago that came down on littering.  I could be wrong but my sense last fall when I went up after Columbus Day was that it was a lot cleaner after the salmon brawl in September and early October than it had been in prior years.  Making bathrooms available and letting people know where they are could help a LOT with relations with the village people.   And focusing more Law Enforcement  would certainly go a long way, although most “bad apples” now are not outright snagging , but are more subtly lining and lifting, and LE has been taking a conservative approach to the “Letter of the Law.”    Maybe it is time to have a State of the Tributaries Meeting, as the tribs generally get somewhat short shift at the SOL meetings, but certainly I would expect to hear a lot of these comment s on April 11 at 6:30 PM at Pulaski High School.

The enforcement is something we can agree on. The snaggers just lining and lifting, not on the Genny or the Oak. The salmon river may have cleaned up a little but it is still an issue that really needs to be taken care of to help us have a healthy fishery.

The fishery isn't healthy ? 

You think it's bad on the tribs now , you should have seen it when the " cricket " was the bait of choice . 

According to the state of the lake meeting, steelhead returns are not as good as they should be. I guess guys bragging about 20+ days on the pin rod are all lies. I fished the days of the crickets. Horrible.

There is a  lot of long copper lines being used these days . That might have something to do with it also . 

Steelhead catches were down according to the DEC. Lake trout also. Makes sense when Kings were everywhere and guys didn’t have to venture far offshore. I only caught 18 steelhead last season.

I listen to the meeting last night that  was posted on here . Very informative and sounds like the DEC has a good handle on things . It confirmed a lot of my suspicions . 

When they raised the steelhead limit from 18 " to 21" and the 21 % catch rate increase was interesting.  Sounds like the tribs guys want to up the limit to 25" to further help .Sounds like the lake guys are against that, as I am . One guy confirmed  the copper / lead core thing.  

And the fact that stream guys  are 85 % c & r .

Also the " education" initiative to curb the unethical behavior. 

I guess what bothers me the most about the ongoing discussion on her at nauseam , is the disdain some have on here for the tribs fishery   .  

Fact is , you can't have one without the other . Like it or not , we are all on the same team . We need as many guys doing this as possible to insure funding and improvements. 

All the woes of the lake are not the tribs guy doing  . Some are . But lake guys need to take some responsibility also . 

I have done both ,a lot , and can count on one hand the trib  trout I released that I thought would not make it . I wish I could say the same about the released summer lake fish . 

And from the sounds of the baitfish 

assessment , the average size of the fish is here to stay . 

Edited by HB2

Most lake guys have taken responsibility and admit that C&R is not good on the lake. Guys are going huge lengths to C&R steelhead like the boga method. My beef with the tribs is the illegal shenanigans that goes on. If you want to manage the steelhead as a trib fishery, clean up the illegal crap on the tribs. C&R on the tribs needs to be studied on the pressured tribs to see what damage is being done. No one has proof that heavy C&R does not cause harm to the fishery. I have no problem with legit trib guys that respect the fishery.

The “lure” of choice on the Salmon River in the snagging days. We used to stand in the bridges and laugh at the “fishermen” crossing lines , falling down , and fighting. IMG_0793.JPG.7d7db439c1ea816582a532a15bd6cd1c.JPGWhy more didn’t drown is a mystery the sport was watching these guys. Lol

The “lure” of choice on the Salmon River in the snagging days. We used to stand in the bridges and laugh at the “fishermen” crossing lines , falling down , and fighting. IMG_0793.JPG.7d7db439c1ea816582a532a15bd6cd1c.JPGWhy more didn’t drown is a mystery the sport was watching these guys. Lol

My buddy found a couple of those at the Genny last fall.

• Like 1