Niagara bar spring fishing

Eh i guess mostly cold water stuff. Trout and salmon. What a preferred method? Trolling and maybe bouncing the ledge?
We trolled the bar last year for the first time and killed it. It was the most fun we have ever had. Honestly it was really crazy. Had a hard time keeping lines in. We ran riggers and divers. Flies did work but not nearly as good as our spoons did. A majority of the fish were on mag spoons. Good mix of kings and Lakers depending on our speed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We typically troll a spread of mag spoons and flasher flies. Last year it seemed they wanted spoons more then flies for first half of season. North of the red can at the 50 to 200 fow drop off is the place to be. Productive troll is west to east and east to west. Riggers and divers are all u need. Please no boards! To much traffic.Maybe a 10 color down the shut. We always get Canadian lic. so border is no factor. Good luck!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike M said:

We typically troll a spread of mag spoons and flasher flies. Last year it seemed they wanted spoons more then flies for first half of season. North of the red can at the 50 to 200 fow drop off is the place to be. Productive troll is west to east and east to west. Riggers and divers are all u need. Please no boards! To much traffic.Maybe a 10 color down the shut. We always get Canadian lic. so border is no factor. Good luck!!

So as long as you have a canadian license you can travel into canadian water? Is there any other procedures you need to follow?

The Bar is not like Lake Ontario Fishing. It is warmer water Lake Erie water. Nutrient rich and oxygenated by the falls and power plants a higher metabolism rate is present resulting in a greater feed rate. The high planktons feed the bait brings fry and minnows that feed the salmon and trout populations keeping them nearby and in the flume that extends along the south shoreline past Wilson and Olcott.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

its about 17.5 or 18 miles on the water. no you don't have to buy a Canadian license to catch fish but sometimes it helps.

Edited by Fishnut

For a number years you had to phone canadian customs if you were crossing the border. Now were back to how it used to be years ago. So long as you do not land in Canada or drop anchor in Canadian water you don't have to do anything. Off course if your fishing you better have Canadian licences.Also they only allow 2 rods per licenced angler.

Can you get by without a Canadian license. Where can you launch from and stay . I want to bring my dad and kids up on the new boat .

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fort Niagara has a public launch that is very nice. About a 3 minute ride and your on the bar. Or, depending on exactly when and what species your after, staying near Wilson will split the difference between Olcott and the bar. You definitely can get by without a Canadian license just watch the line and stay inside it.

Wilson is 12 miles from the bar. That is why the creek that flows into the harbor is called 12 mile creek. In Olcott it is 18 mile creek . Then there is 4 mile creek which is also 4 miles from the Niagara River,  the starting point for the names of these creeks.

• Like 1